What's new

Anyone here prefer to just use their face to lather?

I am a face latherer as I find it gives me a better shave. I agree that bowl lathering gives you more control and a better consistency lather. But I find that the extended period of building lather directly on my face is better for my skin and I end up with an overall closer and more comfortable shave.

Face only. I find I get a better shave when I spend the effort working up the lather on my face rather than spend the same effort swirling it around a bowl.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Almost exclusively face lathering here. Almost.

It was a Martin de Candre soap sample that showed me the benefits of bowl lathering, when I gave myself a nasty case of brush burn trying to get it started. I have had a couple of other samples which could be slow starters, but a few seconds palm lathering is enough to get the brush bristles lubricated.
The vast majority of soaps I've tried don't have that problem though, so it's a simple case of rub brush on soap, then rub brush on face. I won't use MdC soaps any more. The result wasn't worth the effort or cost.

I sometimes use my shaving bowl and sometimes I use the badger brush directly to my face. Just depends on my mood that morning.

I've tried bowl lathering with soap samples, and when I mix a cream (usually TOBS Peppermint) with Barbasol. But my normal routine is to face lather, starting with the throat and then painting the cheeks. With a finger I scoop up some lather from the brush and dab it on the two parts of my lower lip (I have a "Commander Riker" style beard).

If I bowl lather I have to clean out the bowl/scuttle afterward, and since I shave before commuting to work, I'm usually short on time.

I prefer face lathering because its just 1 less step. Why whip up lather in a bowl and then put it to the face when you can just build the lather on the face?

I used a bowl for a while, but not any more. I always get better shaves when I face-lather, never waste product, and don't have another "thing" to clean / put away once I'm done. I love face-lathering, it's fun, effective, and simple.

Face lather but use the bowl to whip up creams for my wife. I got a soap that seemed to heat me up so I might whip some in the bowl to see if it still bothers me.

Yea it's exciting.

I only know wet shaving from watching youtube videos. All I saw are bowl lathering on there, so I figured I'll ask.
Sure my first question ever is an embarrassing one.

Face lathering is the only way to go for me.
I find lathering soap on my face the most enjoyable part of shaving, followed closely by applying aftershave.

Scuttle. Always. My face is for shaving. My scuttle is for lathering.

20200726_182041.jpg

This is my scuttle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My scuttle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my scuttle is useless. Without my scuttle, I am useless. :001_smile

Top Bottom