What's new

Anyone here prefer to just use their face to lather?

Bowl lathering never made sense to me.
Why spend time working on a lather in a bowl, when it has to go on my face? Why not spend that time building it on my face from the start?
It's a no-brainer for me, since I will have a thing less to clean up after the shave, and the lather will get worked into my whiskers and face from the start, giving it more time to hydrate, exfoliate with the brush, etc. It always gave me better shaves, so I see no point in using a bowl or anything.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I suspect that bowl lathering may produce a better quality of lather. From what I read on B&B the best lather has few if any bubbles and a yogurt like consistency but I do not care about that in the slightest as long as I can shave with the lather. The main reason why I face lather is that it feels great and I enjoy it immensely. Building lather on my face is one of the great joys of traditional shaving. For me to switch to bowl lathering would be a huge loss, I may as well use canned shave gel. YMMV.

I marvel at the lather produced by rubbing a stick on my face, then lathering it up with a brush - it's like magic. Nevertheless, most of the time I prefer to bowl lather. Building a bowl lather is part of the charm and fun of shaving. I can rub Williams on my face, or even some TOBS, and it works fine, but I always get a better quality lather and just a touch better quality shave from the bowl. I have the time, so there's no need for me to shortcut or settle for less.

I face lathered exclusively for a few years. Now I bowl lather almost exclusively and I get a better shave as a result. I'm able to work more water into my lather and agitate the lather for a longer time using a bowl. I actually wish it wasn't so, because the bowl is just one more thing to clean up, but my face seems to prefer the bowl lather.

I exclusively bowl lathered for my first few years wet shaving. I have a nice scuttle than doesn’t get much use anymore. I only face lather now. It’s faster and easier for me. I do think a “better” lather is possible in bowl, if only because it accommodates more brush action than my face would appreciate. Hand lathering produces the best results imo, but it’s too messy.
edit
i do bowl lather creams, which I rarely use. My bowl is mainly used for brush soaking and cleaning.

I only face lather. If people enjoy building a lather in a bowl, then who am I to disparage their fun. It's all what you like. At the end of the day, a disposable BIC and some hand-lotion will get the job done. I've shaved with hair conditioner and a "Front-desk" shaver in $500/night hotels and I've shaved with $500 worth of kit in a $60/night Travelodge. It all removes hair. I prefer face lather. Meh. It all works. :)

Top Bottom