What's new

Anyone excited about Hockey? NHL 2021

I like my hockey and looking forward to this game.

My family is hugely involved in the NHL (not me personally as I couldn’t get out of Toronto Junior B)... but that is conversation over a beer after COVID.... 👍

EA3FA987-E993-4C42-B87D-6E985B72032F.jpeg

Hockey Night in Canada. The CBC broadcast from Saturday, 26 November 1966. Boston at Toronto. Bobby Orr's rookie year. Also the year before Gerry Cheevers started to wear what became his iconic goaltenders' mask.

Most of my meetings pre-COVID were near First Canadian Place in Toronto. Kinda the touch point of the Toronto underground. I could get anywhere from there in the city.

I always arrived early to check out the goalie masks. Back entrance to the hockey HOF. The entrance is ALL goalie masks. I could look at them all day...

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
When the NHL expanded from 6 to 12 teams and US TV network NBC had the American television contract, they worked with the CBC on a cartoon series called "Peter Puck" designed to introduce and explain the game to uninitiated American audiences (although the series was aired on the CBC as well). Here's the entire series.

Owen Bawn

I'm away from the TV but it sounds like the Rangers and Caps are having an old time hockey donnybrook tonight.

Tom Wilson ends a guy's season: $5,000 fine.
Brawl at next Rangers/Caps game: NHL looks the other way
Rangers rip the NHL and George Parros regarding the fine: $250,000 fine

And the NHL wonders why it's not more popular. I love hockey, but the NHL almost make US Soccer look competent.

With Chris Drury now in the big chair and Quinn behind the bench the NY Rangers are like a Boston University alumni club. The question is will Drury have the stones to sack his fellow Terrier? @FL shaver
I saw Drury got the GM job. Let's see what happens. I'm guessing no. Eichel coming on board, too?!

Owen Bawn

These people that give Bettman all this credit for 'changing the culture of the game.' Bettman didn't do anything to remove fighting from hockey. The culture of hockey changed because the NHL is no longer filled with poor Canadian guys who quit school at 14 to play junior hockey. The influx of guys who came from hockey traditions where fighting is absolutely prohibited-- Europeans and US college hockey alumni-- changed that culture. Not Bettman.

These people that give Bettman all this credit for 'changing the culture of the game.' Bettman didn't do anything to remove fighting from hockey. The culture of hockey changed because the NHL is no longer filled with poor Canadian guys who quit school at 14 to play junior hockey. The influx of guys who came from hockey traditions where fighting is absolutely prohibited-- Europeans and US college hockey alumni-- changed that culture. Not Bettman.

All this begs the question of whether the lack of fighting enables guys like Wilson? My other concern with hockey is if the equipment has become too good. Guys wear full face shields since they begin playing, the protective gear is lighter and better, and there is no fear of hurting someone. Sticks are up higher, guys are getting run late, etc.

Also, I think Drury sacks Quinn if he thinks it's necessary. Drury is a winner - LLWS, NCAA national champion, Stanley Cup, Olympic silver medal, Hobey Baker, Calder. If he thinks sacking Quinn will help him win, he'll do it.

Owen Bawn

The ice sheet is too small. The Olympic sheet would be better for today's bigger, faster players. And the cage helmet has definitely caused more high sticking.

Imagine what Gordie Howe would do to a guy like Marchand?

The ice sheet is too small. The Olympic sheet would be better for today's bigger, faster players. And the cage helmet has definitely caused more high sticking.

Imagine what Gordie Howe would do to a guy like Marchand?
That stick butt end sticking out under Howe’s arm as Marchand tries to cream him into the boards would be great to see. Howe knocked out a lot of teeth and broke a few jaws with that trick.

Owen Bawn

Whaddaya think of the Vadnais trade? I think it's still too soon to judge that deal. Let's wait and see how things play out before we decide.

Top Bottom