What's new

Anyone excited about Hockey? NHL 2021

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Why are there no Roughriders in the NHL? The CFL used to have 11 teams with that name.

Too bad the poet ee cummings wasn't born in Alberta. Then the Edmonton CFL club now known as the "EE" could call themselves the "EE Cummings."

Owen Bawn

Not sure. Should know by July when the Canucks and Flames finally finish their seasons.
In my day the NHL would play an 86 game regular season after which they eliminated the Nordiques and then each club would play in 31 best-of-seven series for the Stanley Cup.

Are the Oakland Seals in?

In my day the NHL would play an 86 game regular season after which they eliminated the Nordiques and then each club would play in 31 best-of-seven series for the Stanley Cup.

Are the Oakland Seals in?
California Golden Seals were good but better as the Cleveland Barons. True contenders every season.

Owen Bawn

Tough week for Ranger coaches... Quinn and Tortorella both sacked. I'm hearing Tortorella might pilot them Krackens.

Owen Bawn

I'm telling ya - one year the Colorado Rockies will be good!
Didn't they win one the year they rented Raymond Bourque? He brought the Cup back to Boston and they had a parade through the streets of the city as though the Bruins had won it. Thousands in attendance. Bruins' management were furious. It was brilliant. Bruins' ownership, the Jacobs brothers, were (are?) easy to dislike. Their primary purpose in owning the club was to sell concessions- hotdogs and beer. If they had to win a few hockey games to do that, well, they would. But winning was never the goal. Increasing hot dog, beer, and Coca Cola sales was always the goal.

Didn't they win one the year they rented Raymond Bourque? He brought the Cup back to Boston and they had a parade through the streets of the city as though the Bruins had won it. Thousands in attendance. Bruins' management were furious. It was brilliant. Bruins' ownership, the Jacobs brothers, were (are?) easy to dislike. Their primary purpose in owning the club was to sell concessions- hotdogs and beer. If they had to win a few hockey games to do that, well, they would. But winning was never the goal. Increasing hot dog, beer, and Coca Cola sales was always the goal.

That was the Avalanche. The Rockies were terrible and eventually relocated to New Jersey and became the Devils.

Owen Bawn

It's coming back to me now... the Avalanches used to be the Nordy Queues, right? They could have had another parade for Raymond through Vieux-Québec and Place Royale the day after the one in Boston.

It's coming back to me now... the Avalanches used to be the Nordy Queues, right? They could have had another parade for Raymond through Vieux-Québec and Place Royale the day after the one in Boston.

There were a lot of Avalanche fans in New England after Bourque was traded there! I was happy he got a chance to lift Lord Stanley's Cup - he was deserving.

I do miss the Nordiques and those great old Adams Division rivalries.

Owen Bawn

There were a lot of Avalanche fans in New England after Bourque was traded there! I was happy he got a chance to lift Lord Stanley's Cup - he was deserving.

I do miss the Nordiques and those great old Adams Division rivalries.
I don't know what the new place looks like but I remember in the old Garden there were so many banners celebrating Celtics' championships, while the Bruins had won 4 Stanley Cups. But they owned the building. So they hung up a banner every time they made the playoffs. Each spring we'd joke that the Bruins won another Schmautzie Division title. I love the players and fans but I hate the Bruins management. Total fakers. I mean, look at these meaningless banners. All because they have to look better than the Celtics.

garden1.jpg

I don't know what the new place looks like but I remember in the old Garden there were so many banners celebrating Celtics' championships, while the Bruins had won 4 Stanley Cups. But they owned the building. So they hung up a banner every time they made the playoffs. Each spring we'd joke that the Bruins won another Schmautzie Division title. I love the players and fans but I hate the Bruins management. Total fakers. I mean, look at these meaningless banners. All because they have to look better than the Celtics.

I haven't been to the new place in years (mostly due to the fact I live in Florida now) but the old Garden was a gem! Wooden chairs, steep descent to your seat, weird sight lines, and the occasional rat looking for snacks. The banners were a bit much, though.

Before they tore it down you could go there and buy pieces of it. My parents grabbed the seat backs (with numbers) and section number sign from when they had season tickets. They were there for the Flying Shot! Bobby flew right towards them.

That was the Avalanche. The Rockies were terrible and eventually relocated to New Jersey and became the Devils.
Back in the day the Rockies had Chico Resch in net and Rene Robert, Wilf Paiement and Lanny MacDonald in the early 80’s... and still sucked. An awful year under Don Cherry as head coach as well.

Does anyone remember Steve Yzerman, Mario lemeux and Gretzky? The Islanders with Mike Bossy and Billy Smith? What about Patrick Roy? The Oiler dynasty? Or what about my beloved Maple leafs with Wendel Clark, Mats Sundin? Hockey was much simpler then. Sports in general. Now it’s mega contracts and way over analyzed. Took the fun out of the game.

Does anyone remember Steve Yzerman, Mario lemeux and Gretzky? The Islanders with Mike Bossy and Billy Smith? What about Patrick Roy? The Oiler dynasty? Or what about my beloved Maple leafs with Wendel Clark, Mats Sundin? Hockey was much simpler then. Sports in general. Now it’s mega contracts and way over analyzed. Took the fun out of the game.
Of course! Who doesn’t that was a fan back then. The Flyers? Bill Barber and Reggie Leach. Gary Doernhoeffer? I’m sure I spelled that one wrong. 🤪

I was having a drink with a friend last night and we were discussing some of the more obscure players from the past. Turns out he is good friends with Mike Krushelnyski. I haven’t heard that name in ages! Interesting fact that I didn’t know... Mike has 4 Stanley Cup rings... 3 as a player with Edmonton and one as an assistant with Detroit. Of course, he has ZERO with the Leafs!

Top Bottom