What's new

Anyone excited about Hockey? NHL 2021

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Red Berenson was one of the first college hockey players to play in the NHL. Born in Saskatchewan, he attended the U of Michigan. After NHL expansion he was one of the few stars in the new western division. Most Americans have forgotten his playing career, and remember him as the longtime coach at Michigan.

I grew up in Boston, so this is my fave memory of the great Glenn Hall:

View attachment 1236416
Perhaps the greatest hockey photo of all time. Love Bobby Orr, but on that day, as a Blues fan, he broke my heart.

Ha! But seriously, I always liked Harold-- he was one of those goons who learned how to play hockey.
He even scored 7 goals one season!

he was the ultimate stay at home defenceman and would only score 3-4 goals a year. But he was a tough b@$t@rd and had a great moustache.

CD060B87-DBDC-4AAE-A2B5-18025C772C0A.jpeg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Maurice 'Rocket' Richard and ... Henri (the 'Pocket Rocket') ... my brother's better than your brother..."

I'll go out on a limb here and say the Richard brothers were the best set of brothers to ever play in the NHL. Probably the Esposito brothers #2 ...

I can still hear all those away-crowd whistles cascading down to the ice every time the puck found Unger's stick.
Also, the poor bugger retired from Edmonton after playing with Gretzky for a few years... the year before they won their first Cup. I forgot he played his last seasons in Edmonton. Toronto traded him before he hit his stride as a rookie as well.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The Leafs beat the Habs in an entertaining game. It's when you see a rivalry game like this played in an empty barn that you realise how badly the fans are missed.

This Austin Matthews fellow is very good at hockey, by the way. The Leafs look improved over last year. They can probably take Boston to 5 or 6 games in the second round before inevitably being crushed again this year.

The Leafs beat the Habs in an entertaining game. It's when you see a rivalry game like this played in an empty barn that you realise how badly the fans are missed.

This Austin Matthews fellow is very good at hockey, by the way. The Leafs look improved over last year. They can probably take Boston to 5 or 6 games in the second round before inevitably being crushed again this year.
LOL. I’m just hoping Boston misses the playoffs. They are only 5pts up on NYR and Philly. 😱

The Leafs are an excellent team, but not winning the Cup this year excellent IMO. 1st place overall again though in a weak division.

Helps when your backup goalie is undefeated in all 10 games he started (1 away from the all time record). Campbell is ‘Murican too.

Owen Bawn

On this date in 2009, Toronto's Curtis Joseph recorded his 352nd NHL loss, which tied the great and handsome Gump Worsley's record for the most losses by a goaltender.

Gump was one of those guys who looked 60 when he was only 22.

On this date in 2009, Toronto's Curtis Joseph recorded his 352nd NHL loss, which tied the great and handsome Gump Worsley's record for the most losses by a goaltender.

I met the Gumper. Nice guy. 👍 Best name in hockey. Good goalie, but not at Ron Low’s Washington Capitals 70’s level. 🤪

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The Leafs look improved over last year. They can probably take Boston to 5 or 6 games in the second round before inevitably being crushed again this year.
The Leafs are an excellent team, but not winning the Cup this year excellent IMO. 1st place overall again though in a weak division.

IIRC, the first two rounds will be within the division ... so Canadian teams playing each other. So that seems a decent shot of giving us the Toronto-Montreal match-up that the networks are drooling over. And I suppose some fans are looking forward to, as well. But it seems we won't get a "battle of Alberta" though.

I get a chuckle out of the fact that the 1950s Habs featured Jacques Plante, famously the goalie facemask pioneer ... and then the 1960s Habs featured The Gumper ... famously the last goalie not to wear one!

The Maple Leafs backup goalie Jack Campbell is such a great story regardless of what you think of the Leafs...

The 29 year old from Michigan had only played 64 NHL games (before his 11 games this year) in 8 years and was mostly a minor leaguer.

He is 11-0 this year and the first goalie in NHL history to go 11-0 from the beginning of the season.

Pretty damned cool and he is obviously quickly becoming a fan favourite. His longest winning run was after Freddy Anderson had a brutal run (8-2?) before being put on the “injured” reserve.

Very cool story regardless of what team you support IMO.

Owen Bawn

The Maple Leafs backup goalie Jack Campbell is such a great story regardless of what you think of the Leafs...

The 29 year old from Michigan had only played 64 NHL games (before his 11 games this year) in 8 years and was mostly a minor leaguer.

He is 11-0 this year and the first goalie in NHL history to go 11-0 from the beginning of the season.

Pretty damned cool and he is obviously quickly becoming a fan favourite. His longest winning run was after Freddy Anderson had a brutal run (8-2?) before being put on the “injured” reserve.

Very cool story regardless of what team you support IMO.
The Leafs were singing the praises of Joe Woll, another American goaltender (a Boston College man) for the past couple years, though I don't think he ever got higher than the Marlies. I don't even know if he's still in the Leafs organisation now.

He p
The Leafs were singing the praises of Joe Woll, another American goaltender (a Boston College man) for the past couple years, though I don't think he ever got higher than the Marlies. I don't even know if he's still in the Leafs organisation now.
He still plays for the Marlies. He is just a kid but might have some potential.

The worst one was Andrew Raycroft. Wins rookie of the year with Boston then sucks @$$ with Toronto. Currently residing in the where are they now files.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis

Owen:
plus-one-png.797576
...and some said he looked more like he should have been tending bar than tending the pipes.
proxy.php

full
"To Guard and Protect (my goal is to deny yours), for only God saves more than Goaltenders". CBJ

Top Bottom