What's new

Anyone ever try the NOS "CONSUL" razor before?

lasta

Blade Biter
I have a nice looking clone of an adjustable Aristocrat. It's good, was made in the 1970s and is still working perfectly.

I dont have a slim so no comparison here, I have other vintage Gillettes and notice no difference in quality. After all they are shaped after their Gillette sisters.

It sure is more exclusive than your average Gillette. I know this is an American forum
and Gillette's heritage is something to be proud of... But there were and are other countries and people that are well capable of delivering nicely made machines.

That said, and others have started it above.. There are cheaper offerings for the same razor to be found online.

Here's mine (not the best of pictures)
full
Thanks for enabling me. I was hesitant on buying some MIC razors, but now I'll click the confirm order!

Everyone copies from Gillette no matter where it's made. Hell, even Gillette played around with copies. Nothing truly unique anymore. If it's shiny, I'll give it a shot!

Its a product of the Soviet Union.

The first hand comments seem to imply what’s to be expected. It wasn’t meant to compete with Gillette since the Soviet market was closed at the time. Just to offer citizens a ”similar”-ish product.

I think it would be a waste of money.
Yes, these things were conceived as a monopoly of Soviet production, but people bought contraband of things made in the west. Since something normal in the USSR could not be done. Since there were only a few such machines and mechanisms in the USSR, and then only purchased through otherwise countries. For the same reason, it was not the Cherepanov brothers who invented the steam locomotive, and it was not Polzunov who invented the steam engine. There were simply no machines for these mechanisms on which to make them, but drawings could be copied ... Only there was no sense without technical means ...

I bought this razor. It was created like all things of the USSR. The mechanism does not work on the first positions 1 and 2. Scrolling on positions 3 to 9, but I did not notice the rise of the blade. The blade itself is skewed and dangles up and down.

20230121_133951.jpg
20230121_135408.jpg

I have a nice looking clone of an adjustable Aristocrat. It's good, was made in the 1970s and is still working perfectly.

I dont have a slim so no comparison here, I have other vintage Gillettes and notice no difference in quality. After all they are shaped after their Gillette sisters.

It sure is more exclusive than your average Gillette. I know this is an American forum
and Gillette's heritage is something to be proud of... But there were and are other countries and people that are well capable of delivering nicely made machines.

That said, and others have started it above.. There are cheaper offerings for the same razor to be found online.

Here's mine (not the best of pictures)
full
You had this one on BST for a while right? And eB if I remember correctly.

Fine razor by the looks of it.

Guido

I would like to have this razor repaired before I donate it, but I don't know how to do it right. She has a problem with fitting parts to each other.
That's what it is.
And everything is very simple. Our measurements are in millimeters.
and when a turner or miller sees such a size of 5.5 mm, then everything seems to be fine.
But when he sees the size of 1.25 mm, I write in cursive - one point twenty-five hundredths of a millimeter.
He falls to the floor and convulses!
Because it is almost impossible to do this on Soviet machines.
What about American or English machines?
And everything is very simple!
Everything is in inches, and an inch was originally sharpened for this 1 inch is equal to 25.4 mm,
1 millimeter is equal to 0.039 inches
but 0.1 mm equals 0.0039 inch
and what I wrote about earlier 0.01 mm is equal to 0.00039 inches
See the difference.
that an American or British student sharpens easily,
then the Soviet turner needs to study for 30 years and also make a machine from ideal parts. Fortunately, we have had European and American machines in our country for a long time.

I just used this razor for fun. I took what I bought for 10 dollars and 2 dollars for shipping, I liked it. The result is excellent. It was aggressive, and I love aggressive razors. I did not like that the blades had a backlash and in the future the mechanism needed to be repaired. Does anyone know how to take it apart? Because the mechanism doesn't turn the blade, I don't know what position I was shaving in. It stood at 3, and what really could be learned from the sensations after the repair. Yes, it is definitely worth its $10 and even $20 can be quite acceptable. But, unfortunately, it has its drawbacks listed above.

P.S. The face is not red, there are no cuts.

Top Bottom