What's new

Anyone else thinking of polishing their Tradere handle?

I've not yet seen my Tradere but I've been thinking about the satin finish issue. It seems to me that shiny razors are standard, and satin finish razors are rare and rather special. The PILS comes to mind of course. Sterling silver razors from Tiffany's come to mind. Gold plated razors of course are not shiny, gold has a mellow burnished look.

Both the gold and the silver Mvltiplex razor comes to mind. The Mvltiplex is one of the most expensive razors one will ever find, if one ever finds one.

http://razorland55.free.fr/razor_great01.htm

And so it seems to me that there really is no question about it: a satin finish spells "unique". A shiny finish does not.

I've not yet seen my Tradere but I've been thinking about the satin finish issue. It seems to me that shiny razors are standard, and satin finish razors are rare and rather special. The PILS comes to mind of course. Sterling silver razors from Tiffany's come to mind. Gold plated razors of course are not shiny, gold has a mellow burnished look.

Both the gold and the silver Mvltiplex razor comes to mind. The Mvltiplex is one of the most expensive razors one will ever find, if one ever finds one.

http://razorland55.free.fr/razor_great01.htm

And so it seems to me that there really is no question about it: a satin finish spells "unique". A shiny finish does not.
My only other satin razor would be my Futur, but if I got another of that model, I'd probably go for the gold.

As for the Tradere handle (all I have is the handle, I'm not an OC user,) I doubt I would want to polish it. If anything, I would look into having it electro-plated in either Sterling Silver, Nickel, or Rhodium ... but my gut instinct tells me to leave it the way it is.

My only other satin razor would be my Futur, but if I got another of that model, I'd probably go for the gold.

As for the Tradere handle (all I have is the handle, I'm not an OC user,) I doubt I would want to polish it. If anything, I would look into having it electro-plated in either Sterling Silver, Nickel, or Rhodium ... but my gut instinct tells me to leave it the way it is.

I hear you, especially on the sterling. I don't know that I've been as clear as I should be: I would like to see the head match the satin finish of the handle.

Copied and pasted from www.tradererazors.com

Our handle sports a satin finish to compliment the high polish of the head and to provide the best possible grip.

Apparently, the shiny head and the matte handle were done that way intentionally. While it may look odd to those of us that are used to the same finish top-to-bottom, the designer must have had his reasons to make it look the way it does.

Again, though ... I'm leaving my handle the way it is.

I like the size and weight of the handle (the head is enroute) but by putting a shiny head on the matte handle makes be want to shine up the flat areas of the handle some or at least give it try. I even wish the Weber handle was shiny but with the flat black head it's no big deal. If I was to make a recommendation to boost sales of the Tradere, I would say a shiny handle matching the shiny unique head would be an absolute winner.

Copied and pasted from www.tradererazors.com

Apparently, the shiny head and the matte handle were done that way intentionally. While it may look odd to those of us that are used to the same finish top-to-bottom, the designer must have had his reasons to make it look the way it does.

Again, though ... I'm leaving my handle the way it is.
Stainless is comparatively soft, and high-polish starts looking pretty crappy after a fairly short time, with any sort of handling/case wear. Pretty much the reason you see satin/brushed finish SS handguns, rather than high-polish, as compared to high-polish chrome. The chrome is MUCH harder, and more wear resistant.

Stainless is comparatively soft, and high-polish starts looking pretty crappy after a fairly short time, with any sort of handling/case wear. Pretty much the reason you see satin/brushed finish SS handguns, rather than high-polish, as compared to high-polish chrome. The chrome is MUCH harder, and more wear resistant.

I've noticed that on my Rolex....I have a DateJust, and after daily wear I was getting alot of scratches on the band....I had to drop it off to get it repolished....the center links are high polish and the outer part of the link is matte....the high polish is what took the beating...

but on a razor...I dont know how much "wear" Im gonna get on a handle...I shave and its put in it's stand...

Apparently, those who are complaining about the two different finishes on the razor either did not read Richard's original write up, or did not buy the razor and are just carping. I bought and received the razor and it's a quality, well built, highly machined shaving tool.

Apparently, those who are complaining about the two different finishes on the razor either did not read Richard's original write up, or did not buy the razor and are just carping. I bought and received the razor and it's a quality, well built, highly machined shaving tool.

In fairness, I don't think I'm hearing any complaints, people seem to be delighted with the razor and everyone seems to agree with your take on it, "quality, well built, highly machined". It's a beautiful, elegant and quality work. I certainly think it's one of the most elegant, quality razors I've seen, and I've only seen picutres. I think people are just discussing how the razor can be more to their tastes, and I think that's not just legitimate, but Richard needs to hear honest feedback from his customers.

I am very much looking forward to joining the club of those who already havea Tradere in their hands.

I think everyone that has purchased , or that has even considered purchasing one of Richard's fine razors is aware of the finish.
I think Turtles thread here was simply to give Richard some feedback from what end users and potential buyers may desire in future runs.

Look at weber....his razor is now MUCH different than his first run after feedback from customers. Many new start up companies can not afford the marketing research and test groups to make several prototypes before an initial release. If I was Richard I would appreciate any constructive criticism. Every review or comment I've read on B&B so far has been in praise of his quality and superior service.

I think everyone that has purchased , or that has even considered purchasing one of Richard's fine razors is aware of the finish.
I think Turtles thread here was simply to give Richard some feedback from what end users and potential buyers may desire in future runs.

Look at weber....his razor is now MUCH different than his first run after feedback from customers. Many new start up companies can not afford the marketing research and test groups to make several prototypes before an initial release. If I was Richard I would appreciate any constructive criticism. Every review or comment I've read on B&B so far has been in praise of his quality and superior service.

Well said. Look as well at the Ikon. The original offerings were nothing, absolutely nothing like what is being offered today.

I'm not sure it's important that the finish on the handle match the finish on the head. However, I'm with Haiku in that, if I wanted them to match, I'd much prefer to "satin-ize" the head than to polish the handle.

My thoughts about this finish issue:

If I pay good money, I don't want to have to invest time and energy into getting it right.

If the razor is for basic frequent shaving, then it's a non issue for me. If it's for fondling and admiring, or one of my "museum pieces," then it needs to please me without qualification or having to head to the bench to fire up the Dremel.

Lesson here...it's probably best to buy something in the complete finished product form, not in pieces arriving at different points in time. Then there's no surprises or bad assumptions to regret.

In response to those who think their input will make a difference, here's a quote from Turtle's opening post:

"I have talked to Richard about the mismatch in finish and he said that the handle could be polished to match the head but that he did not plan on changing the finish of either the head or handle since both are already in production. I asked him if he would mind if I posted about this mismatch and see what other B&B members thought of the difference in finish so don't get the impression that I am trying to bad rap his product or blind side him (remember I have sat here for 4 days contemplating this before posting)."

Since Richard indicated that he would not change the razor's finishes, what was Turtle's point in bringing it to the Forum at all? All it did is create two different opinions without an outcome!!!

My thoughts about this finish issue:

If I pay good money, I don't want to have to invest time and energy into getting it right.

If the razor is for basic frequent shaving, then it's a non issue for me. If it's for fondling and admiring, or one of my "museum pieces," then it needs to please me without qualification or having to head to the bench to fire up the Dremel.

Lesson here...it's probably best to buy something in the complete finished product form, not in pieces arriving at different points in time. Then there's no surprises or bad assumptions to regret.

I'm not on board with you on this I'm afraid. I don't take issue with your point of view, it's after all a personal one. But it's not my view.

One of the reasons that I bought a Tradere is to support this project. I know full well that this is a first crack at it for Richard and that's exactly what I want to support. It doesn't hurt that it's a truly beautiful razor, made out of stainless steel and made in the USA.

I questioned Richard about the finish before I orderd the head. I really thought it should be a better match but once I got it, I'm okay with it. I'm not sure the open comb is for me though. First shave went okay but not great. I'll give it a couple more outings before I decide if it's a keeper.

I questioned Richard about the finish before I orderd the head. I really thought it should be a better match but once I got it, I'm okay with it. I'm not sure the open comb is for me though. First shave went okay but not great. I'll give it a couple more outings before I decide if it's a keeper.
I've used several OC razors down through the last 4 years, and never really liked any of them. The only one I could even tolerate was a vintage Gillette NEW, but I haven't even used that in at least 3 years. I guess not everyone is cut out for BOTOC. I love my Tradere handle (currently attached to a Stahly head) but I can't see getting the OC head from them ... if they ever come out with a Straight Bar version, I'd be on it in a minute.

In response to those who think their input will make a difference, here's a quote from Turtle's opening post:

"I have talked to Richard about the mismatch in finish and he said that the handle could be polished to match the head but that he did not plan on changing the finish of either the head or handle since both are already in production. I asked him if he would mind if I posted about this mismatch and see what other B&B members thought of the difference in finish so don't get the impression that I am trying to bad rap his product or blind side him (remember I have sat here for 4 days contemplating this before posting)."

Since Richard indicated that he would not change the razor's finishes, what was Turtle's point in bringing it to the Forum at all? All it did is create two different opinions without an outcome!!!

Eddie, I think you are missing the point.....Turtle started this simply to get opinions..."What are your thoughts on the handle/head of the Tradere razor? Polish the handle to match the head? Mate the head with a different high polish handle? Hike up your skirt Nancy and just shave with it?."....not to change Richards opinion.....I think Turtle , like many here would have preferred a polished handle...hasn't stopped him from his purchase...simply a preference.

BUT that being said...just because something is in production now doesn't mean if after the first run if there is enough consumer demand that changes won't be made. Companies do it all the time! Look at the R41...three different heads in three years! But even outside of the razor industry, from companies like Apple to small mom and pop industries companies will always make improvements to designs and production to meet consumer demands. If they don't...someone will.

I would be interested in the head, nut the handle ....not a fan....so I either purchase the whole razor, another handle, like the iKon, and sell of the Tradere handle...or hope he makes heads only available for those of us that prefer shiny things. :001_smile

Top Bottom