What's new

Anyone else enjoy uncured bacon?

I recently discovered this. Most stores do not cary it. I found it at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It is noticeably chewier than "normal" bacon, but renders a lot more fat and tastes better, in my opinion.

You are obviously correct, but "uncured bacon" simply means that the bacon has been cured by naturally-occurring nitrates, such as those found in celery salt, as opposed to the chemicals used to cure "normal" bacon. I guess it is just as silly as "organic water".

Here it a main dish for dinner. Cooked at the table with kimchi and onions. It is sliced thiked and grilled on a slant so the fat runs down through the kimchi, onions and garlic. Then you wrap in piece of lettuce with the kimchi et al. One of my favorite dishes, it is called samkap-sal which means three layer meet( three layer of fat)

Here it a main dish for dinner. Cooked at the table with kimchi and onions. It is sliced thiked and grilled on a slant so the fat runs down through the kimchi, onions and garlic. Then you wrap in piece of lettuce with the kimchi et al. One of my favorite dishes, it is called samkap-sal which means three layer meet( three layer of fat)

Do you have a recipe? :biggrin:

Aaah I see, I've been curious to try celery cured stuff, is there any hint of flavour from it? No one over here's really too bothered by nitrates so we only have the standard cured bacon

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I recently discovered this. Most stores do not cary it. I found it at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It is noticeably chewier than "normal" bacon, but renders a lot more fat and tastes better, in my opinion.

This is more likely due to the process than the actual ingredients. Most commercial bacon is pumped with brine which cooks out and evaporates, which is why it pops and splatters so much while it's frying. Being labeled as Uncured or Nitrate/Nitrite free is a marketing scheme to make people think it doesn't have the chemicals in it that regular bacon does, which it does it's just labeled as celery juice or powder on the packaging.

Kinda funny because naturally cured stuff can actually contain more nitrates/nitrites than regular cured, simply because there's no way of regulating nitrate and nitrite content in the plants

Aaah I see, I've been curious to try celery cured stuff, is there any hint of flavour from it? No one over here's really too bothered by nitrates so we only have the standard cured bacon
its cured with celery juice because celery juice has a TON of nitrates in it...

The only differences that I have noticed is that it renders more fat and is chewier.

Out here we call it side pork, and I love the stuff! Regular bacon is nice, but 3 eggs and 2 or 3 strips of side pork, that's what we call a mans breakfast!

Every year just before New Years we get a hunk of jowl bacon so we can have our good luck New Years Day meal, black eyed peas, hawg jowl and collard greens. I really need to use it more. Great for seasoning beans. It too will certainly render fat.

Top Bottom