What's new

Anybody still using the same razor you started DE shaving with?

It's not every day, mind you, but I still use the Gillette Slim my dad gave me when I started shaving in 1963. It was new then, but has a few miles on it now.

It's the best argument I know against using Zamak (pot metal) for razors. These Gillettes were made to last!

Yep. I still use my EJ DE89L. It was my first about 3.5 months ago. Still an awesome razor and I think I will always keep it in my rotation.

No. It was a Lord 1822. I bought another one so that I could do side-by-side blade tests. Now they are both gone. I gave them away with a few blades to potential recruits.

Yep, I still use my first, Merkur 34c. At least once a week. I also still occasionally use my first brush, a Tweezerman Badger.

Granted, I just started a few months ago.. I have acquired a couple more razors, some are great, but I most always go back to my Muhle R89.

Yes. The Gillette Slim I bought in the campus bookstore in January of 1966 was my daily driver for more than four decades, and is still in the rotation. I am hopeful it will be with me for another two or three decades.

I started DE shaving two months ago with an inherited Gillette Tech ball end (1940s). I recently added an Edwin Jagger DE8911 which has become my primary razor--I use the Gillette Tech for touch up and tight areas. The RAD and SSAD bugs are biting, so I will expore antique stores and flea markets when opportunity permits to see what other 'necessities' I can come upon.

I have only been using a DE for 5-6 months. Still using the cadet OC. Its been a great razor. Thinking of going against the grain and finding a 2011 muhle r41.

Last edited:
Yes.

I actually tried DE with a borrowed Tech, from an aunt...thought I would give it back, (she wanted me to keep it). :thumbup1:

Bought an EJ 89 my second week, thinking I needed to give the Tech back.........I still use my EJ, And, I appreciate it more, now that I have tried 15-20 other varieties of vintage and new razors.

Yep, been wet shaving off and on since 1969, all types of blades and cartridges except DE, until just over two years ago. So my first DE, a Merkur Progress is not only here, but still new-ish.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Still using (in a huge rotation) the same Schick Krona I bought at the local Rexall drugstore when in high school back in '69.

Blades seem to be much nicer these days.

Oh, yes. When I decided to take up the experiment, I went "new", and got a Merkur 33C. That turned out to be a good choice. Many, mostly vintage, razors later, the 33C still sees action, and still delivers a very good shave. The build quality isn't the best, but the shaving performance is right up there with the best of my other tools.

I started with a Maggard MR1, with a starter kit, from Maggard Razors. I am traveling this summer with family, and it will probably be my travel razor. I may not come home with it though. I suspect my brother may be interested in trying DE, so if that is the case I'll give it to him.
I have a FaTip and a Merkur 1904 OC in rotation, the Maggard never sees action anymore.

Top Bottom