What's new

Any Pre-shave That Works?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes and no, and YMMV....

My incredibly handsome face can take a beating, but the closest I have come to using "preshave" is putting any old soap on my face, and topping that with canned foam when I shower shave.

A lot of people swear by pears soap i've never tried it but i'm going to give it a go myself next time i'm in Asda.The PAA cube is superb and it's huge but it's £10.99.Pears is definately worth a go.
The Cube(s) are less expensive on this side of the ocean. Mine was on sale for $6 and contained 225g of soap. That's not unreasonable for how well it works. I cut it up into sections and melted it to form pre-shave soap sticks.

I previously used glycerin soap from Whole Foods Market which worked fairly well. Since getting the Cube, I have not used the old glycerin soap anymore.

PAA Cube work well. I can tell you that Gentleman's Nod Jackie Pre shave Oil introduced major drag. This is supposed to add slickness. Opposite is true. Still looking for better pre shave options. Cremo shaving cream watered down also works pretty good.

Stirling pre shave soap
Paa cube
Paa also has the cube in a stick
And paa makes them seasonal too

for me I use approx one cube a year.
Makes it more slick
Lifts mediocre soaps
But you can shave with cube only if needed however the non seasonals are non scented and I kinda like a scent

Attachments

• DC5E266B-3AD4-4AF4-80A7-6770CD8DE6C6.jpeg
    DC5E266B-3AD4-4AF4-80A7-6770CD8DE6C6.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 051D88E3-260D-468A-B4CB-9CBE9FA96B0D.jpeg
    051D88E3-260D-468A-B4CB-9CBE9FA96B0D.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 8F627CF2-5052-493B-A931-D81DE7AE8091.jpeg
    8F627CF2-5052-493B-A931-D81DE7AE8091.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 888D756A-BB85-48C8-BEE2-A5AD55098638.jpeg
    888D756A-BB85-48C8-BEE2-A5AD55098638.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 11
  • A9FFF08D-CF11-4DB2-9745-3D6C025FCA01.jpeg
    A9FFF08D-CF11-4DB2-9745-3D6C025FCA01.jpeg
    497.7 KB · Views: 9
Just started using D.R. Harris Marlborough. I've also used Tabac, A&E.

I'm only familiar with Tabac. Can't speak to the other two. But I don't understand how you are not getting sufficient glide and slickness with Tabac alone.

I've enhanced a soap's performance by "super lathering" them, or by "uber lathering" them. Haven't had to do that with quality soaps.

I'm only familiar with Tabac. Can't speak to the other two. But I don't understand how you are not getting sufficient glide and slickness with Tabac alone.

I've enhanced a soap's performance by "super lathering" them, or by "uber lathering" them. Haven't had to do that with quality soaps.

Yeah, Tabac is pretty slick. I no longer have that puck.

Any good shave oil followed by C O Bigelow or Prorazo cream.
It's really easy to make your own. The Art of Shaving oil that many people seem to like, is mostly castor oil + olive oil + essential oil for fragrance. The amount they charge for it is ridiculous, though.

The castor oil is a key ingredient. Castor oil by itself is quite thick, so it needs to be thinned out. This can be done with light olive oil, jojoba oil, grape seed oil, or other thin, neutral carrier oil you have on hand.

Simple Recipe
-------------------
20 ml castor oil
10 ml light olive oil
4 drops lavender oil
2 drops cedar oil

You can vary the essential oils & amounts to suit your taste.

I'd suggest you only make a small quantity each time. You do not need much for each shave. The best container I've found is a dark amber glass bottle, with an eyedropper.

lasta

Blade Biter
From recent experiments, I concluded that any unlathered soap between your face and the lather would add slickness.

Tried Proraso pre shave, Noxzema, Tabac stick, and even regular Marseille soap, all work. The key is to rub it on, bowl lather, and paint the lather on. Don't work the lather on your face (ie face lather).

Come to think of it, pre-shave makes all soaps/creams equal...

It's really easy to make your own. The Art of Shaving oil that many people seem to like, is mostly castor oil + olive oil + essential oil for fragrance. The amount they charge for it is ridiculous, though.

The castor oil is a key ingredient. Castor oil by itself is quite thick, so it needs to be thinned out. This can be done with light olive oil, jojoba oil, grape seed oil, or other thin, neutral carrier oil you have on hand.

Simple Recipe
-------------------
20 ml castor oil
10 ml light olive oil
4 drops lavender oil
2 drops cedar oil

You can vary the essential oils & amounts to suit your taste.

I'd suggest you only make a small quantity each time. You do not need much for each shave. The best container I've found is a dark amber glass bottle, with an eyedropper.

Thanks for suggestions.

Have you noticed an increase in glide and protection when using this oil?

From recent experiments, I concluded that any unlathered soap between your face and the lather would add slickness.

Tried Proraso pre shave, Noxzema, Tabac stick, and even regular Marseille soap, all work. The key is to rub it on, bowl lather, and paint the lather on. Don't work the lather on your face (ie face lather).

Come to think of it, pre-shave makes all soaps/creams equal...

Good point.

I'm usually a face latherer since I find it more practical. I am going to be traveling a lot, so carrying a bowl in my dopp kit won't really work. Would palm lathering work?

Top Bottom