What's new

Any Pre-shave That Works?

This. This absolutely works, you wash your face with it first, then apply it against the grain directly on your face. I'm getting much better results on my trouble spot since using it.

I've found that pre-shaves that provide a ultra slick layer are counter-productive for me. They tend to make the blade glide right over my whiskers and not cut them. I use Noxzema as a pre-shave quite a bit to soften my whiskers before shaving and that's what works for me. Sometimes if i have a soap that's only ok for shaving but works well to soften whiskers, I'll stuff that in a shave stick container and use that as a pre-shave. I do like soaps that have good slickness and good residual slickness but I think it can be overdone. Cremo brushless is a great example of a product that's too slick to work well for me.

I've found that pre-shaves that provide a ultra slick layer are counter-productive for me. They tend to make the blade glide right over my whiskers and not cut them. I use Noxzema as a pre-shave quite a bit to soften my whiskers before shaving and that's what works for me. Sometimes if i have a soap that's only ok for shaving but works well to soften whiskers, I'll stuff that in a shave stick container and use that as a pre-shave. I do like soaps that have good slickness and good residual slickness but I think it can be overdone. Cremo brushless is a great example of a product that's too slick to work well for me.

You make a good point there: we want the whiskers to be stiff enough to cut. Do you find that Noxzema adds slickness and glide?

This. This absolutely works, you wash your face with it first, then apply it against the grain directly on your face. I'm getting much better results on my trouble spot since using it.

I've heard good things about the Cube. Does it add a lot of slickness to your shaves?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Proraso green is the ticket. (I don’t like the other versions. Red is required when I’m using the red cream and splash) the second runner up is grooming Dept preshave. It’s fabulous but not always available and regardless of scent I’m now of the opinion that GD scents are not that attractive to me even though I still use his products.

Last edited:
You make a good point there: we want the whiskers to be stiff enough to cut. Do you find that Noxzema adds slickness and glide?
Not really but I'm not looking for that from my pre-shave. What I want it to do is soften my whiskers so they'll cut a little easier. I want my glide to come from my shaving lather.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Wash face with hot water and bath soap. Thoroughly rinse off bath soap with warm water. Apply one or two drops of your preferred hair conditioner and rub well into your whiskers. Leave conditioner on for at least 2 minutes. Rinse conditioner off (not thoroughly) with cold water. Apply you preferred shaving lather (ARKO is recommended) and shave.

Give it a try. No capital outlay required and you may be pleasantly surprised with the result.

Last edited:
If your goal is glide, the Ach Brito pre shave soap is excellent.

I was given this one as a gift. Is that the one you are talking about?
Feels quite slick in my hand, even without wetting the puck.
7142A2E4-2AC0-434F-BE65-808F9F825D4E.jpeg

PAA Cube

The one with activated bamboo charcoal. Degrease your face with it at the beginning of a hot shower, rinse, then shower as normal. Before you get out of the shower apply another layer against the grain of your beard but this time leave it in and lather on top of it. Your lather will be amazing.

Changed my mind about pre-shaves and I love what it's done to my skin.

There's also an option from PAA called "The Tube" that's the same formula as The Cube but comes in a plastic stick applicator similar to a shaving stick, designed for travel, if you don't like getting your hands soapy. You'll get less product for your money though.

Top Bottom