What's new

Any Powerlifters in the House?

Greetings Clubhouse members.

I don't usually visit this part of the forum, probably because I've spent the past 30 plus years in the industry and enjoy the shaving section too much.
As I am getting ready for the Masters 2 section of Powerlifting (I'll be 50 next year) here in New Zealand I thought it might be good to see if we have any other gents into this crazy sport we call Powerlifting?

For those that don't know or think its weightlifting (a very common mistake) our 3 lifts are Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift. My next competition is the National Bench Press champs here in NZ where I need to finish 1st or 2nd to gain selection for the Asia/Oceania champs in Australia. Like most Masters I seem to spend most of my trainings working around injuries :blushing:

Anyway very keen to hear from others maybe we can swap ideas etc or help those who might be just getting started.

Cheers.

Good luck in your competition. I powerlifted for a few years when I was younger but these days not so much. I still love doing the workouts but I'm I don't concentrate on just powerlifts any more but they are the corner stone of each workout I do. Only difference is these days I do Olympic style squats (high bar all the way to the ground) rather than the PL squats.

I would be interested to see you post your workouts and results as you compete so please keep us updated as you go forward.

Thanks David

You must have good knees :) I tend to Squat higher bar than most as it suits my frame and we only have 2 feds so IPF keeps our depth pretty good, all Squats must clearly break parallel but not Olympic depth :w00t:

Slowly working the Squats once a week and Deadlifts once every 10-14 days seems to suit the body better than when I was lifting as a Junior. I was Benching twice a week but I think it was too much for this old fella.
Having had a 10 year break seems to have preserved the joints a little.

I only lift RAW but will use knee wraps for over loads etc. In IPF you can only use a knee sleeves in competitions.

Thanks David

You must have good knees :) I tend to Squat higher bar than most as it suits my frame and we only have 2 feds so IPF keeps our depth pretty good, all Squats must clearly break parallel but not Olympic depth :w00t:

Slowly working the Squats once a week and Deadlifts once every 10-14 days seems to suit the body better than when I was lifting as a Junior. I was Benching twice a week but I think it was too much for this old fella.
Having had a 10 year break seems to have preserved the joints a little.

I only lift RAW but will use knee wraps for over loads etc. In IPF you can only use a knee sleeves in competitions.

I lift raw now, even no raps -- I was under IPF rules (Canadian Powerlifting Union) as well but couldn't afford the supper suit or bench shirt back when I lifted more seriously. When you say only knee sleeves in IPF are you talking about the raw competitions or did IPF ban suits and shirts? I really haven't kept up but when I was lifting you could use an approved single ply poly shirt; has this changed?

Oddly enough, I think going all the way (ATG) is actually easier on the knees than the PL squat depth but it was certainly a lot harder at first. Do you do box squats in your workouts? I think they are one of the best training squats for PL there is.

Yes knee sleeves just in Raw. Still single ply suits and shirts in the equipped section (got to keep the sponsors happy)
At our Nationals we had 155 lifters and only 19 lifted in the equipped. So next year they will run an Equipped competition in a separate month to give those that want to compete in both the opportunity.

With regard to box Squats I do these on alternate weeks and squat wide and slightly deeper to the box. I agree they are a great addition and seem to take alot less time to recover from and thats good news for us older lifters :)

Cheers mate.

Yes knee sleeves just in Raw. Still single ply suits and shirts in the equipped section (got to keep the sponsors happy)
At our Nationals we had 155 lifters and only 19 lifted in the equipped. So next year they will run an Equipped competition in a separate month to give those that want to compete in both the opportunity.

With regard to box Squats I do these on alternate weeks and squat wide and slightly deeper to the box. I agree they are a great addition and seem to take alot less time to recover from and thats good news for us older lifters :)

Cheers mate.

I hear you on the older lifter stuff -- 45 in December, I think I'm still Master 1 in PL but Master 3 in Oly Lifting. I'm glad to hear that equipment seems to be slowly going away and raw catching on! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom