What's new

Any interest in another group buy for Japanese style kitchen knives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I guess the only concern i have is the timeframe for delivery... Lets say we do something like this:

some kind of 150mm petty (like the ones i posted the picture of yesterday) ~$100 plus or minus a bit
some kind of 210-270mm gyuto (like the ones i posted the picture of yesterday) ~$150-200 plus or minus a bit
some kind of santoku (like the one Alacrity59 posted a picture of today)~ $300 plus or minus a bit
some kind of 270-300mm Yanagiba (hand forged, but more focused on a knife to be used than a showpiece) ~$250-300 plus or minus a bit

The first two and last one could be done within about 1-1.5 months (or less), the third one would take about 1-3 months, and the last one would take closer to 4 months. How would something like that work. That way, we could have some stuff for the newcomers to japanese knives and some for the hardened addicts :p

I think you hit it bang on Jon. :thumbup1:

cool... i think we're on to something here. Now that i have some direction, let me go back to the drawing board and see what i can do for you guys that would be cool :)

I'm interested in participating as well.

$100-$200 works for me, and i'm a Japanese knife newbie. Ideally, i'm looking for something to replace the crappy chef knife i'm using right now, and am way more concerned with it being functional that whether it was hand made by Yoda out of the highest quality high carbon steel at the peak of Mt Fuji. :)

I've been watching too much anime, I need a sword, definitely a 270 ;)

With the Yoshirio, what color horn piece will be prominent? All work well, just curious.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see how this turns out. Not sure yet whether I will commit. I'm not up with all the Japanese knife terminology, but I would like to see something small that can be used for cutting vegetables or slicing fish/poultry. Preferably stainless steel, since I will not be the only user for it.

so, i'm in the process of testing a 210mm carbon hand forged wa-gyuto that could fit into our #3 hand forged category... seems like it could be awesome for this group buy. I will be able to say more about this in about a day or two.

so, i'm in the process of testing a 210mm carbon hand forged wa-gyuto that could fit into our #3 hand forged category... seems like it could be awesome for this group buy. I will be able to say more about this in about a day or two.

Update time Jon, it's been a day or two, we are all waiting impatiently.

ok ok... so i've spent a few days with the knives and i'm really pleased... great profile, very nice heat treatment, pretty good grind, and they looks sweet ;)

We could do a 210mm wa-gyuto in the >$300 price range we've been talking about... it would look something like this (FYI, this is the first picture of these knives i'm posting anywhere)

Attachments

• $IMG_0045.jpg
    $IMG_0045.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 77
  • $IMG_0046.jpg
    $IMG_0046.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 76
I work several times a day with a Mercer Santoku and I love it except one slight problem - despite the dimples, what ever I cut sticks to the knife and when I work fast, pieces fly away instead of falling off on the board. Does anyone know a similar knife that solves this problem? Maybe a Damascus or hammered steel are better because of the irregular surface?

BTW I've had a similar problem with a smooth Lamson chef knife. At least the Mercer can keep an edge much longer and in fact, I've yet to encounter a better steel overall.

alexo, sometimes the way the blade face is ground (flat vs convex vs multi-bevel) can effect the way way food releases. Most less expensive factory knives are made flat which is usually not the best for this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom