What's new

Any interest in another group buy for Japanese style kitchen knives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only got the nakiri on the first group buy and it gets a lot of use. I would definitely be interested in getting something if they were in the $100 - $200 range. The last time I was tempted to get either a 240mm Gyuto or 270 Sujihiki in carbon but was short of funds. I will be checking often to see where this goes.

i think that $100-200 is a good spot to be in... a lot of options.

I noticed quite a few people expressed interest in hand forged knives (a la watanabe)... is that where you guys would like to go with this? Or would you prefer if i focus more in getting the best functional knives in this price range (which may or may not be hand forged)?

I'm looking for a 270mm Gyuoto, preferably Stainless- I get sidetracked in the work kitchen too much :/ I'm willing to spent $250- just don't tell SWMBO!

I was about to pull the trigger on a Masamoto VG. I'm scared of a Wa handle...

Don't be. It will take you about 2 minutes to adapt to it.

I'm for the best functional knives. I would prefer hand forged but if I have to choose I'll take functionality.

How can I say no to a group buy with Jim's name attached? I can't. The hand forged option has me intrigued. Wa handle definitely. I'd be fond of doing something a little "different" this time around. I've already got a gyuto, petty and nakiri.

Last edited:
Don't be. It will take you about 2 minutes to adapt to it.
But I've been using a western handle for 70 hours a week for the past ten years. :/ I've resold other knives because I can't get used to the blade angle or handle quick enough. I also 'choke up' and pinch the choil with my short fingers. Eh, I'll get one or two regardless(my sous-chef needs a new knife also)... but I'm throwing that out there. :)

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm warming up to this now. Hand forged may well be the "story" I'm looking for. Jon, can you temp us with a few pictures?

I'm sure some selections to suit various budgets and gaps in our sets of knives would be appreciated.

Last edited:
How can I say no to a group buy with Jim's name attached? I can't. The hand forged option has me intrigued. Wa handle definitely. I'd be fond of doing something a little "different" this time around. I've already got a gyuto, petty and nakari.

Jim does have that effect on people. :laugh:

John, maybe you need a slicer (sujihiki) this time?

But I've been using a western handle for 70 hours a week for the past ten years. :/ I've resold other knives because I can't get used to the blade angle or handle quick enough. I also 'choke up' and pinch the choil with my short fingers. Eh, I'll get one or two regardless(my sous-chef needs a new knife also)... but I'm throwing that out there. :)

I haven't been using a western style handle for nearly as long as you but their was almost no transition for me. I also use pinch grip. How do you make your cuts? Do you chop or rock the knife? I do both. I think you will really like Japanese knives, they are much lighter then western knives and they hold an edge much much longer.

Jim does have that effect on people. :laugh:

John, maybe you need a slicer (sujihiki) this time?

I need one, darn it!

So, here are some knives in or near the $100-200 price range (all pictured as 240mm gyutos except the yoshihiro stainless wa-gyuto in 270mm... the yoshihiro was one of the options in the last group buy)...
from the far left:
AUS10 Stainless Gyuto, Kanemasa E-Series Gyuto, Suien VC Gyuto, Ashi Wa-Gyuto, Ashi Gyuto, Yoshihiro Wa-Gyuto

I'm still looking into some other things, but i think the AUS10 series has a lot to offer... i just picked them up recently (in store only) for local professional chefs.

Attachments

• $resized_IMG_2133.jpg
    $resized_IMG_2133.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 116

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Nice stuff Jon . . . Any chance of other things . . .

I wonder where I found these pictures. . . . ?

Attachments

• $J1.jpg
    $J1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 106
  • $J2.jpg
    $J2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 106
  • $J3.jpg
    $J3.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 107
lol... we have a bunch of other stuff, but to do something hand forged, it would be closer to the $300+ mark (within the $200-$300 range for the most part)... also, it generally takes a bit longer. For example, the knife pictured in the bottom of your post (the kurouchi santoku), we could do, but the maker may take 4-6 months to make the knives.

We could do some single bevel knives hand forged, but that would make things difficult for the leftys ;) Also, for Dave :p

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
lol... we have a bunch of other stuff, but to do something hand forged, it would be closer to the $300+ mark (within the $200-$300 range for the most part)... also, it generally takes a bit longer. For example, the knife pictured in the bottom of your post (the kurouchi santoku), we could do, but the maker may take 4-6 months to make the knives.

We could do some single bevel knives hand forged, but that would make things difficult for the leftys ;) Also, for Dave :p

late to the game but I'll toss out my thoughts ...

I'd like to see an inexpensive, small, stainless knife. A petty or small knife, good for vegetables & utility ... a "bargain intro" to Japanese knives, which I can let my wife destroy without too much angst, and which would make good Xmas presents.

I'd like to see a high-end, hand-forged, carbon, Japanese-style (single bevel) knife ... the sort of knife that you mention having and the in-the-know Japanese knife guys are drooling with envy. In the $100--$200 range ... :lol::lol: ... I mean, price is no object. (Well, within reason, but over $300 is fine with me. Over $500 and you'll have to be a good salesman as to why I'm not being silly buying it ... over $1000 and I'm h'ors de combat. :blush:

I'm well stocked with "standard" westernish-style Japanese knives what with the last group buy and the "Ouch Sampler" from Korin a while back (before the prices went way up), so while I might be tempted to get "yet another" soojee-hicky (as letterK would say), I might end up passing.

I guess the only concern i have is the timeframe for delivery... Lets say we do something like this:

some kind of 150mm petty (like the ones i posted the picture of yesterday) ~$100 plus or minus a bit
some kind of 210-270mm gyuto (like the ones i posted the picture of yesterday) ~$150-200 plus or minus a bit
some kind of santoku (like the one Alacrity59 posted a picture of today)~ $300 plus or minus a bit
some kind of 270-300mm Yanagiba (hand forged, but more focused on a knife to be used than a showpiece) ~$250-300 plus or minus a bit

The first two and last one could be done within about 1-1.5 months (or less), the third one would take about 1-3 months, and the last one would take closer to 4 months. How would something like that work. That way, we could have some stuff for the newcomers to japanese knives and some for the hardened addicts :p

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I guess the only concern i have is the timeframe for delivery... Lets say we do something like this:

some kind of 150mm petty (like the ones i posted the picture of yesterday) ~$100 plus or minus a bit
some kind of 210-270mm gyuto (like the ones i posted the picture of yesterday) ~$150-200 plus or minus a bit
some kind of santoku (like the one Alacrity59 posted a picture of today)~ $300 plus or minus a bit
some kind of 270-300mm Yanagiba (hand forged, but more focused on a knife to be used than a showpiece) ~$250-300 plus or minus a bit

The first two and last one could be done within about 1-1.5 months (or less), the third one would take about 1-3 months, and the last one would take closer to 4 months. How would something like that work. That way, we could have some stuff for the newcomers to japanese knives and some for the hardened addicts :p

:thumbup:

I like the way you think. Different delivery times is fine with me, given the different production modes & factors involved. No sense making the Petty guys wait for the Yanagiba, and no sense rushing/sipping the Yanagiba because the Petty can get done quickly.

This idea on the yanagiba ... yes yes yes! Of course it should look good ... but a functional piece of art. :thumbup1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom