What's new

Any flashlight geeks here?

I really ought to get some kind of a flashlight to carry with me.

A surefire would be nice, but good jesus are they expensive.

I have a pentogon and a fenix. I don't mod them like the guys over at candlepowerforums do. Most of the stuff they do is way over my head, but really cool.

I have you to blaim Jay. I now carry on my keys an Arc AAA-P. My wife carries a Fenix L0P and my "go to" is my Surefire L2. I also have a switch for the L2 to make it a two-stage but have not installed it. That Surefire throws out a veritable wall of light. Anyone who has seen it is absolutely amazed by it. This, of course, does not even include my backpacking lights which for some reason I feel are separate - Princeton Tech Eos and Corona, Petzl Zipka, and numerous Photon II lights. I understand the appeal of flashlights now - once you get a very nice one, you just know. If your only experience is cheap, plastic dim D cells that maybe work, maybe don't, you should treat yourself to a nice Surefire.

Dennis

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Some guys are really over the top with these things. In general, I prefer tiny lights. Here are just a few, with a Mekur HD added for perspective.

M

modern man

Mag Lite,

NUFF SAID!

You can blast them with a shotgun and they won't eveln blink. I have had one form a EMT pack (with a Gerber Multi Tool) for about 8 years and it still works after much abuse.

Very cool Jay.......I was looking for yet another distraction to pour money into. The thought of FAD never, ever would have entered my mind if it wasn't for your post. Surefire, Fenix, etc.......I have so much to learn...

Heck, Community College won't be so bad for my sons.....

-Scott

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Very cool Jay.......I was looking for yet another distraction to pour money into. The thought of FAD never, ever would have entered my mind if it wasn't for your post. Surefire, Fenix, etc.......I have so much to learn...

Heck, Community College won't be so bad for my sons.....

-Scott

I'm so bad, I always have two lights with me.

As for the expense, it's really not so bad. Sure, you can drop a ton on the top Surefires or custom jobs, but there are lots of well made, cheaper alternatives. The light on the far left of the pic, the Nuwai Q3, is small, cheap, built like a tank, and blindingly bright.

I have no desire to enter this hobby, but I do need a couple good flashlights. Can someone make a recomendation for an emergency light for my home and one for the car?

M

modern man

I have no desire to enter this hobby, but I do need a couple good flashlights. Can someone make a recomendation for an emergency light for my home and one for the car?

HA! You FOOL!

That is exactly what I said about razors and brushes and whiskey and soaps and pocket knifes and and and.........:biggrin:

Welcome to the first meeting of the FLAD club John. :thumbup1:

The cheapest Surefire G2 costs around $30 is pretty bright (65 lumens) and very durable. I have an olive green one like the yellow one in Ouch's picture and it small enough to easily put in a small drawer or glove box or pocket on a backpack, but plenty bright for anything I'd want to use it for.

Here's a link to Surefire's site:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/max_segment_listing/disp/strfnbr/6/sesent/00

Top Bottom