What's new

Any Feedback on "Brushless" Creams?

Hey everyone, I'm interested in a brushless shaving cream. I've never used one before (I don't think), but I'm about to pull the trigger on the Pre de Provence No. 63. What do you think? Quality product? I'll get the aftershave for it too.

Why do I ask? The sad truth is, getting me out of bed and getting to work on time, is still a challenge. That means every now and then, I'll shave in the shower. And I hate it. But it's a reality, so I'm thinking of legitimizing it by getting a nice brushless cream going on for the shower.

Thanks for the feedback.

Before I retired, I traveled a lot in my job. When shaving in a hotel room, my practice was to shave in the shower with a cartridge razor. I generally used whatever shampoo was provided as my "brushless shave cream". Now that I am retired, I shower and then shave using a quality shaving soap or cream, a good shaving brush, and a straight razor. The shave takes longer, but I enjoy the experience far more.

If you want a brushless shave cream, a couple I recommend are Cremo (several varieties are available) and Kiss My Face. Although they are sold as brushless creams, I prefer adding water and whipping up a lather using a brush. They do not compete with my higher quality soaps and creams, but they work reasonably well.

If you want a brushless shave cream, a couple I recommend are Cremo (several varieties are available) and Kiss My Face. Although they are sold as brushless creams, I prefer adding water and whipping up a lather using a brush. They do not compete with my higher quality soaps and creams, but they work reasonably well.
Echo pretty much all of the above. Cremo is the soap I usually travel with and works fine brushless I often face lather to get a bit more of a softening effect.

Brushless work well. I like Barbasol brushless in the tube for straights. Can be hard to find. Brushless was all the rage in the 20’s and 30’s with Barbasol, Molle, Williams and Colgate all making versions that were big sellers in their day.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
In all honesty, I do not like any brushless cream. Part of the beauty and effectiveness of wet shaving is using a quality brush and building up a great lather.

Anyway, if forced to pick up one, I would say Cremo. This stuff is very slick.

I just received my PDP 63 and will be trying it out today. I believe I understand your initial question and will post accordingly.
You want to know how well this particular cream works and if there are any ways in which to get the best performance out of it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Any soap or cream can be used brushless.
Neither your whiskers nor your razor will be able to tell the difference.

Yup. And any puck can be rubbed on your face like a stick. I think the brushless creams stick on perhaps better in a shower though; my wife's getting good results with the Clubman non-lathering cream. Sticks on in the shower environment and rinses slower (I imagine).

AA

I just received my PDP 63 and will be trying it out today. I believe I understand your initial question and will post accordingly.
You want to know how well this particular cream works and if there are any ways in which to get the best performance out of it.

Plans had to change with my schedule. Will give it a run tomorrow.

I used some of this stuff tonight, was pretty good too....

proxy.php

Once you get past aesthetics and just think in terms of shaving efficacy, you begin to appreciate non lathering, brushless creams. Some time ago I picked up an 8 oz. tube of Trader Joe’s shave cream (<$4). Protective and effective. Scent is pleasant but nothing special.

Once I completely finish my stock of soaps and creams (~early 2019), I plan to try (one at a time!) a few different brushless creams.

One little story.. I recently used up my stock of blades and am now using carts to minimize the cuts and nicks that my increasingly shaky hands have caused. Since I am a daily shaver after a cut I shave the next day with my most protective soap/cream. Since I first tried it, that has been the non lathering Trader Joe’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I am being totally honest, I have to admit that, for me, kiss my face is actually one of the best creams out there. I know it’s not very glamorous, but it’s slick, protective, and reliable. It’s also very flexible insofar as I can get a great lather with or without a brush (ie, with just my hands). It is what I recommend to all of my friends who just want a better shaving experience, but want to keep using a cartridge and don’t want to use a brush. I also use it anytime I am in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom