What's new

Disposable razors and travelling

There is only one disposable razor. The Gillette Guard. Everything else is junk, imposters, not worth the plastic used in production.

I beg to differ.
Before I throw more money into Gillette' cartridge razor money making machine, I rather stick to the "junk, imposters, not worth the plastic used in production", as you call it :001_cool:.

And I am with the crowd that a) no longer wants to be gouged by Gillette and b) have found out that there are other cartridge razors out there that do a passable job when straight or safety razors are not an option.
Of course, it could be that we were just lucky or maybe have been looking longer to come to the latter conclusion.

But to each his own…:thumbup1:

B.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I used the Guard for a while as my carry-on razor. Once I tried the Bic Metal, the Guard fell quite short of the Metal in shave quality. The Metal shaves me about as well as a good Tech, which ain’t bad at all. The Guards got handed over to the wife, who likes them.

Currently using up some old Bic2 Sensitive without Lubrastrip. Not as efficient as the Bic Metal but quite ok for a couple of days.

4B79CB60-E271-400C-BC00-ED905EAEDD76.jpeg

I've been happy with the Bic Sensitive (the orange disposable). When I only bring a carry-on bag - which is most of the time - I bring a soap and aftershave sample from Stirling. Both are under the TSA size limits and will last several trips. Tip: Bring a Zip-loc bag to put the soap, or you'll smell up your entire Dopp kit, and possibly bag.

The Bic Metal is a superb razor - inexpensive, light, nimble, easy to use, a single blade, no silly slime strip, and the fixed head helps to maintain good DE technique; it is very sharp and more than able to remove the toughest beard. I have used a good many razors, and with the possible exception of my Feather AC, nothing shaves me closer.
Going on a 7 day cruise in April

The Bic Metal

It is with one blade?
Efficiency? Mild? Aggressive?
Disposable or cartridge?
Approximately how many shaves from one?
How razors or cartridges come in a pack?

Have not used a disposable/cartridge in over 30 years.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding

The Bic Metal

It is with one blade?
Disposable or cartridge?

The Bic Metal is a disposable razor with a single blade and a fixed head. I purchase them in packs of five and would expect to easily get five shaves per razor. They are sharp and require you to maintain good DE type technique or they will punish you; that is one of the reasons I like them.

1706082464117.png

The Bic Metal is a disposable razor with a single blade and a fixed head. I purchase them in packs of five and would expect to easily get five shaves per razor. They are sharp and require you to maintain good DE type technique or they will punish you; that is one of the reasons I like them.

View attachment 1785080
EclipseRedRing

Much appreciated. I will go to CVS or Walmart to see if they have them. If not I will visit the site.

I am a daily SE shaver. I use a vintage SE with the GEM PTFE blade. The way you described it. It sounds like one. Does not look like one.

Thank you for your time.

EclipseRedRing

I am a daily SE shaver. I use a vintage SE with the GEM PTFE blade. The way you described it. It sounds like one. Does not look like one.

The BIC Metal feels more like a very lightweight injector razor. Very compact head, good for tight spaces. I could get about a week's worth of shaves with care, but would always bring a spare. They weigh almost nothing and take up very little space. There is (or used to be) a protective cap on the head. Still, I put them in a zip-lock bag for packing.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.

View attachment 1785080
I have several packs of them but have yet to try them.

I have traveled hard for 40 years in my job. Often internationally and almost always changing hotels every day or two. From that perspective, the last thing I needed when I woke up in a strange hotel/city/country, jetlagged and pressed for time was anything that required technique or care. The standard cartridge or disposal offerings from Gillette and Schick always worked just fine, along with travel size foams like Barbasol or Foamy. The only disposable I ever had issues with were the Bic single blade ones. Many a nick and I moved away from them early on. The Bic Twin Select is much better in this regard for me.

My current preferred carry-on travel kit is a Mach 3 with either Speick or Pacific Natural cream since both are available in 100 ml TSA friendly sizes. No brush. I do have a stash of Fusion cartridges that I am working through, but like the Mach 3 much more.

YMMV.

The Bic Metal

It is with one blade?
Disposable or cartridge?

I am too! Leaving on the 13th of April out of Port Canaveral. I will be bringing my travel DE (which ever one that will be) with me. I have brought my DE's on all my cruises since I have checked luggage on my flight. I do stick a disposable in my carry on just in case though.

I grabbed a Trac II and a 100 pack of Personna carts for it when I was doing TSA checks. Worked like a champ way cheaper than modern carts. I hated breaking disposables, which happened occasionally back in the day. A Speick and maybe a Hasslinger stick on longer trips, travel brush that I may or may not use was all I needed.

Whatever you do, practice with and dial in your travel kit and you’ll have good shaves on the road

For my face, the original, white handle BIC single blade disposable was a beast. I tried them again recently and found no reason to change my opinion. However, some people like them.
I also found the BIC Metal did not work for me.
I have used the single blade BIC Sensitive (with the orange handle) for years and they shave me very well, with no nicks or cuts. I prep well, sometimes using a preshave too, and use a boar brush with Nivea Protect and Care (in the blue tube). Nivea in both the blue and the white tubes is readily available at an acceptable price in stores locally, and for my purposes I have not found much difference between those two types. My wife has an issue with strong scents, the scent of Nivea does not bother her much. The various Proraso scents do.
The BIC Sensitive single blade is easy to use and easy to keep from clogging up, and I can easily get about two weeks (or more, if I want) of shaves from one of them, if I take care of it.
The BIC Twin Select Sensitive (dark green handle) I use for around my ears and under my nose. It appears to have the same shape and handle as the BIC Metal. It is a little more difficult to keep from clogging up, but not much. They are currently on sale at the Real Canadian Superstore near my home, for $3.58 Canadian for a package of ten. They are about $6.00 Canadian elsewhere. Makes me wonder if Superstore is clearing them out. Superstore did the same thing with the BIC Sensitive One a year or two ago.
For the record, I will sometimes use my Schick E type or L type, or a DE. I keep finding they do not work as well for me as the BIC disposables. This must be another example of YMMV.
So many differing opinions about so many shaving options. That is one of the things that makes Badger & Blade interesting, and informative.

Top Bottom