What's new

Disposable razors and travelling

I'm thinking of building a shaving kit to use for the few times a year I'm traveling out of state. Something TSA friendly with as few products as possible.

I searched a bit on these forums for suggestions on disposable razors, BIC metal one blades seem to be a good starting point. Though the last time I used a disposable razor was about a decade ago, with zero prep and questionable soap/cream. It felt like I took a cheese grater to my face. Taking into account that my day one stubble could grate cheese, are the BIC Metal blades a good idea? Or is there an alternative?

I can get away with using Stirling's body butter for both pre and post shaves. And apparently Cremo can be used brushless (There's a mango scent, so that's a bonus for me), so I don't have to bring a brush & bowl with me.

What do you all think of this plan?

Indeed, Cremo is used brushless an it's a terrific product.
I can't speak to disposables. I haven't used one in decades.

I haven't tried the Guard, but I have had great results from the Penny Shaver from AP shave. It is a cartridge, so less plastic waste.

I use a cooking syringe to fill a small toiletry tube with Proraso or Cremo. Recently I started bringing a Jack Black Closer cartridge placed on a Quattro disposable handle and that works well. It's never for a longer than a week and that is more than good enough.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The Bic Metal is a superb razor - inexpensive, light, nimble, easy to use, a single blade, no silly slime strip, and the fixed head helps to maintain good DE technique; it is very sharp and more than able to remove the toughest beard. I have used a good many razors, and with the possible exception of my Feather AC, nothing shaves me closer.

The Bic Metal is a superb razor - inexpensive, light, nimble, easy to use, a single blade, no silly slime strip, and the fixed head helps to maintain good DE technique; it is very sharp and more than able to remove the toughest beard. I have used a good many razors, and with the possible exception of my Feather AC, nothing shaves me closer.
+1

F4F8D54C-C7A4-41EB-8754-AC42B24B83E3.jpeg

Gillette Guard - replaceable single blade cartridge. It does a respectable job... certainly presentable for a professional situation. The shave is mild with no irritation. Dirt cheap on the 'bay. I'm a daily shaver and this is a go-to when I have to navigate the Blueberry Militia

Once upon a time, I traveled a good bit for work. Over time I became a ‘one bag’ (carry on only) traveler.

If taking multiple flights, a disposable was my only option. I used a Trac 2 but never liked it. If staying in one place, then I would mail blades to my hotel and take a Lord L6 with me.

Other key items were a La Toja stick, Wee Scot brush and a small container of AS.

I enjoy using the Bic Metal just as much as any of my best expensive razors. I think it’s a superb razor, period. It’s very lightweight so you have to add a little pressure, but it gives me lovely mild but completely close shaves. Just what I need when travelling as I don’t want cuts and red skin when I have meetings. The head angle really works for me too.

La Toja stick and a Gillette Sensor that I have had since the 90's. I also take a Simpsons Trafalgar T2 to use for a brush. you can still get the Sensor carts on Amazon. They still deliver a nice shave. I did try some Bic Metals and they were OK.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have a stash of Bic Sensitive and Bic Metal. Both seem to shave well for me and I have a very coarse and tough beard.

I don’t travel much by plane anymore, but when I interstate travel in the automobile A Small, Trac II travel kit is in the Dopp kit.

They all seem to work well for me? On the rare occasion I might get a disposable razor that has an unseen burr or other imperfection which will make the beginning of a shave feel harsh, but I just quickly dry it off, strop the cart a few times on a small strip of blue jeans I carry in the Dopp kit and then carry on with a great shave.

Works for me. :)

There is only one disposable razor. The Gillette Guard. Everything else is junk, imposters, not worth the plastic used in production.
Does the razor itself seem to last a long time? On eBay there are very few blade-only listings, only ones with razors included which makes me wonder if you need to buy a couple razors in order to last

Any of the single blade Bics should do the trick.
I've got a few of the standard white handled razors, which give a nice, close shave.
The Bic Sensitive razors will give a good shave with minimal risk, which can be a plus
when shaving in unfamiliar circumstances.

I've tried so many disposables including the ones mentioned above. The only one that works for me is the BIC Flex 3 Titanium. Typically, I'd avoid multiple blades, but this one works very well. I can usually get 5- 6 shaves out of it.

Yes, various BiC products are often suggested when members ask for razors that can be taken through airport security. They seem to get the job done…

I have noticed, however, that some BiC shaving products (e.g. BiC Metal) that are quite common in North America may not be that easy to find in Europe and v.v.

B.

Top Bottom