What's new

Ancient Ocean Jasper

Interesting Camo! I don’t have too much experience with different arks...my butterscotch jaspers are definitely harder than my two trans arks. The jaspers were absolutely terrible to lap!

Vr

Matt

Interesting Camo! I don’t have too much experience with different arks...my butterscotch jaspers are definitely harder than my two trans arks. The jaspers were absolutely terrible to lap!

Vr

Matt

maybe the translucents are a tad harder????

tempted to be looking at one of those soon too!!!!

camo

They are beautiful!

Vr

Matt
Indeed they are. But i am starting to think like Camo now and get the set, 0ne of each and just make a double wide box for the set. I spent this weekend making boxes for my el cheapo stones pike and swaty and couple carbo's.
Hopefully honing my skillz for nicer stones like the Jaspers was the plan. Matt your was the first jasper stone i ran across that lead me to go searching for them. Thanks for posting your pics!

Indeed they are. But i am starting to think like Camo now and get the set, 0ne of each and just make a double wide box for the set. I spent this weekend making boxes for my el cheapo stones pike and swaty and couple carbo's.
Hopefully honing my skillz for nicer stones like the Jaspers was the plan. Matt your was the first jasper stone i ran across that lead me to go searching for them. Thanks for posting your pics!

My pleasure...my smaller 8x3x1 performs essentially the same as its big brother...I do seem to recall lapping the bigger one being a more difficult/longer process.

Vr

Matt

Between the two I have...I spent hours flattening and finishing! Real bastards! I initially tried a nano plate, and then a DMT 325. They proved ineffective, and I went to a SiC powder progression.

At least it’s done, and something that should not need to be done again for a very very long time!

Good luck!

Vr

Matt

did you all flatten your slabs or did they come flat enough for you?
Mine came fairly flat, I spent 30 or so minutes with an atoma and it was certainly serviceable. I decided it would benefit from a high grit finish so I moved forward with some sic. I probably spent an hour and a half getting it to where I wanted for surface finish.

Reactions: CCR
Between the two I have...I spent hours flattening and finishing! Real bastards! I initially tried a nano plate, and then a DMT 325. They proved ineffective, and I went to a SiC powder progression.
Matt

Mine came fairly flat, I spent 30 or so minutes with an atoma and it was certainly serviceable. I decided it would benefit from a high grit finish so I moved forward with some sic. I probably spent an hour and a half getting it to where I wanted for surface finish.

I spent some time today refinishing both sides. Where did you guys stop your finishes?

At first 400 which was serviceable, then on Matt's recommendation I actually brought it up to 800 sic and burnished with a tomo nagura.

tomo nagura? Like jasper based? Or a jnat tomo?

i took both sides up a bit more than 800, we’ll see tomorrow how it feels from a 10k chosera to jasper.

Yes...80, 120, 200, and 400 SiC on sharpening side...up through 800 on finishing side. I used an Ozuku Tomo Nagura on the finishing side, and it really bumped the polish on the finishing side up!

Vr

Matt

Finally arrived! I went with the barber hone size too.

Is there a good way to determine which side you should use as a finisher or just make one side a finisher as described already in this thread?
IMG_20201016_154312.jpg

Top Bottom