What's new

Ancient Ocean Jasper

Finally arrived! I went with the barber hone size too.

Is there a good way to determine which side you should use as a finisher or just make one side a finisher as described already in this thread?
View attachment 1169589

I would just pick whichever side seems to be the more finished side, or whichever side has the nicer pattern since you will be looking at it more!

They are great and versatile stones...very fun to learn the process, and tweak along the way to maximize the edges you are getting based off of your preferences!

Vr

Matt

I spent some time today refinishing both sides. Where did you guys stop your finishes?

I prefer mine finished at 400 or 600.....then I run steel over (sword) it to load it up some.

ran thru a 120 and 220 SIC powder progression. pretty happy with the flatness of it. but may hit one more time with 220.......or not.

camo

I prefer mine finished at 400 or 600.....then I run steel over (sword) it to load it up some.

ran thru a 120 and 220 SIC powder progression. pretty happy with the flatness of it. but may hit one more time with 220.......or not.

camo

I've been watching the stone patiently waiting to see what it would tell me.......

tonight I see the haze of loaded steel reflecting evenly throughout the stone with no bald spots indicating high or low spots.

no surprise that tonight it is sharpening exceedingly well and now providing the "oh ****" scary edge i like.

camo

I just took my GW&Sons near wedge previously finished on a premium ILR which was shaving fine under slowly running water and spent about 20mins or so lapping on the jasper.

First shave just off jasper (no stropping at all) was pretty good, very smooth considering.

Second shave off jasper (10 laps linen, 10 laps miller horsehide) - VERY smooth shave.

Can't wait for my next shave!

Oh and I checked flatness on the Jasper as received and didn't do anything to it.

Gents,

SliceofLife is doing some testing of Jasper stones in another thread, and it got me curious to revisit my smaller Jasper which is my back up to it’s much bigger brother.

This is the Ancient Ocean Jasper “Translucent.” It is 8x3X1, and these really aren’t translucent, and I just refer to it as butterscotch Jasper.

My test razor is a 6/8 Brian Brown, and I had dropped it in the past. The edge wasn’t chipped, but it did appear to be dented in/deformed. It took me five slurries on the side that was dressed to 400 grit SiC to get it 100% good to go before moving onto the finishing side.

I build the slurry on a worn DMT 325 with the Jasper rub stone...as you can see it’s prettt white in color, but it quickly turns to a darker gray as the edge is refined and swarf builds up in it.

0BC2E486-013D-4E98-B95E-6474DD9FA414.jpeg
0715DF08-BAD4-4638-9B63-254FD2BEE574.jpeg
D610E8DB-6C11-4F35-90F3-F33F699F76B2.jpeg

The bevel near the edge appeared reflective, but the mirror image was slightly cloudy and not crisp after I was finished on this side.

The next step that I do is to dress the finishing side with a very hard Ozuku Tomo Nagura. I think it helps to ensure uniformity, and adds polish to the finishing surface.
B3869189-AC29-4E55-A798-95E2D33D844B.jpeg
765B907D-D6C7-4D16-ADC6-2A3C90DEA75F.jpeg

In order to do the finishing laps, I put the stone on the divider of the sink, and run a light stream off of the edge...just enough so that it keeps the water moving on the surface.
D1E1CBE2-AAB6-4307-88D9-2E9E55DE4A69.jpeg
3272788B-79D4-495C-B6E5-374E73D68E7D.jpeg

After this step the bevel near the edge had the mirror finish with no scratch pattern under the 30x loupe, and it blew through the hanging hair test...silent, zero resistance...it’s ready to go. I was going to use the Russian damascus razor next, but I will save that for later in the week. I want to compare this edge to the recent JNAT edges I have been getting!
CAE5F719-41BB-47A6-9A65-5DFD2A254441.jpeg

Top Bottom