What's new

An idea for a new type of "gentlemanly restraint"

You are good to go, and you don't need to have funds in hand provided you are confident that the funds will arrive
Welcome.

Althoughretired, but not old enough myself, I did inherit a couple of IRA's when my Dad passed. That requires me to take annual Required Minimum Distributions. It's not difficult to divert a little from routine living expenses to fund whatever I need, as I don't go crazy about it.

OK, so here's an update on my "2020, spend no money" restraint. You may recall that I wanted to get through a bunch of smaller soaps/samples, etc., and burn through soap to get back to maybe 4 or 5 tubs. In order to accomplish this, I decided to 3017 a soap until it was gone and then move on to the next one. I also wanted to pare down my razor collection by selling razors. Finally, I wanted to make it through the entire year without spending a penny on shaving (but I allowed income from razor sales to be turned over into shaving purchases, so long as the amount spent was less than the amount brought in). Clear?

All right, so here's what I have done so far:
1) I have sold four of my razors
2) After tomorrow morning's shave, I will have shaved all the way through four of my soap "odds and ends"
3) I purchased one razor
4) The amount I earned by selling four razors more than paid for the one I purchased

So, I've been doing pretty well!

My only issue right now is that even with these smaller soaps, it has been killing me to 3017 them. I have always changed up my soap almost every shave.

I may continue 3017ing soaps, but I have another idea that might work for me. I'm thinking about choosing TWO more of the odds and ends soaps, and then alternating them until they are both gone (sort of like an "interrupted 3017" or an "alternate 3017," if you will). This would allow me to continue to get rid of the odds and ends I want to get through and yet give me a little bit of variety.

If you are doing the "2020, Spend no Money" restraint with me, feel free to give us an update. I'm going to keep doing it even if I am the only one, because it's what I want to do, but I would also be happy to hear from others who have similar goals.

The 2020 Spending Restraint effectively turns a fun hobby into a structured discipline. I'm retired, and as far as I'm concerned, that time for needing discipline has long passed.
If it ceases to be fun anymore, it's not for me.

@kingfisher
Congrats on your progress. I haven't been doing so well in the 2020 SNM challenge, but there are still nine months to go. Regarding your soap dilemma, have you considered the Soap of the Month Club (SOTMC)?

The 2020 Spending Restraint effectively turns a fun hobby into a structured discipline. I'm retired, and as far as I'm concerned, that time for needing discipline has long passed.
Whatever works for you is great.

For me, shaving is still fun; the only thing I've been missing is a bit of variety in the soap department, which is why I'm considering using two soaps instead of just one.

Otherwise, it's been great, and I'm managing to meet goals that I set for myself; i.e., paring down the den to manageable size.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Whatever works for you is great.

For me, shaving is still fun; the only thing I've been missing is a bit of variety in the soap department, which is why I'm considering using two soaps instead of just one.

Otherwise, it's been great, and I'm managing to meet goals that I set for myself; i.e., paring down the den to manageable size.
This ain't exactly a news flash but.... You is a better man than me! I've got ADHD (surprised?) and I can barely do one shave with one soap or blade or razor!

But I have been trying to not BUY anything more. War Department is tightening the reins!

@FarmerTan , just flex and bust out :)

We all do whatever it takes to get through the day, week, or month. Especially now. I'm now working from home, and our local government officials have instituted restricted travel. And even though I don't need to go into the office and rarely see anyone other than my family and neighbors (at a distance), I still shave every day. It is part of my daily routine, and I think it's one of my many activities that help keep me grounded. The rest of my normal routine can change with the wind, but my shave...

So to @kingfisher and all others, keep doing what works for you. Be well and be safe...

Oh, one more thing. It's not a spending restraint. I am free to spend as much as I want and to buy whatever I want; I just have to fund it with sales of other things.

FarmerTan

Oh, one more thing. It's not a spending restraint. I am free to spend as much as I want and to buy whatever I want; I just have to fund it with sales of other things.
I remember when you decided to do this. Very smart idea my friend.

Second week of April update.

Still haven't spent any money. Was able to PIF away two of my "odds and ends" soaps yesterday. I found one, Through The Fire Fine Craft soaps in a scent called "Ignite" that I remember was named way too accurately. Yes, it burned my skin.

I found another, Catie's Bubbles Purple Grapefruit, that I couldn't remember why I didn't use it. So I lathered it up a couple of days ago for my shave and found that this one, too, made my skin burn before I even started the shave. So I rinsed off and used another soap.

I have a local friend who wet shaves, so I texted him and asked him if he wanted a couple of free soaps. He said, "Sure." So I put them on my front porch and he came and picked them up (this is the new way of the world, folks).

Anyway, so now I am down 6 soaps and 4 razors. I have three other razors that I have offered to sell and am awaiting word on whether the buyers are interested.

So I am definitely reaching my goal of downsizing my soap hoard and my razor hoard, and continuing to shave for free!

OK, gents. Here it is. The "much anticipated" update on my "2020 spend no money" restraint. I know you guys have been dying to know how it has been going. /sarcasm

Anyway, still doing well. Since the last update, I have sold one more razor, PIF'd one more soap, and shaved through another one of my shaving soap "odds and ends."

All told, then, here is what I have accomplished so far this year:

1) Sold 5 razors (helping to meet goal #1, to cut down the size of my razor hoard)
2) Shaved through or PIF'd 8 (count 'em) EIGHT soaps! (helping to meet goal #2, to cut down the size of my soap hoard)
3) Spent no money on shaving whatsoever (main goal of the program)

So, as you can see, I am doing pretty well.

Last night I looked through what is left of my soap "odds and ends" to figure out what to shave through next. I found a mystery soap. It was in an unlabeled wide-mouth tin container. It passed the smell test (wasn't rancid and actually smelled pretty good). The scent was very fruit forward. I couldn't figure out what soap it was. I didn't remember having a soap that fruity that somehow ended up in the unlabeled container. I wasn't sure if it would lather well or if would shave well, but since it smelled good, I fired it up for this morning's shave.

Immediately upon the start of lathering I knew that, whatever this was, it was a good soap. It made a beautiful, dense, shiny, unctuous lather, and it smelled even better lathered up. I applied it to my face and did my first pass. Fantastic! It shaved as good as it looked. It was killing me that I didn't know what it was.

Finally, as I was rinsing off after the first pass and getting ready to lather up for the second pass, it came to me. I had purchased a sample of Stirling Satsuma at one point, and I had pressed it into the bottom of a wide-mouth container. I don't know why it ended up at the back of my hoard. I remember shaving with it maybe 3 or 4 times, at most. That means I probably have at least 16 more shaves in this puck (4 weeks for me, since I shave 4 times a week).

As a bonus, I also have a bottle of mentholated Satsuma aftershave, so I get to match for a month or so! I almost never do that.

Anyway, I was so excited that I found the Stirling Satsuma. Really looking forward to the next month or so of happy, bright, orange-scented shaves for the start of summer.

FarmerTan

OK, gents. Here it is. The "much anticipated" update on my "2020 spend no money" restraint. I know you guys have been dying to know how it has been going. /sarcasm

Anyway, still doing well. Since the last update, I have sold one more razor, PIF'd one more soap, and shaved through another one of my shaving soap "odds and ends."

All told, then, here is what I have accomplished so far this year:

1) Sold 5 razors (helping to meet goal #1, to cut down the size of my razor hoard)
2) Shaved through or PIF'd 8 (count 'em) EIGHT soaps! (helping to meet goal #2, to cut down the size of my soap hoard)
3) Spent no money on shaving whatsoever (main goal of the program)

So, as you can see, I am doing pretty well.

Last night I looked through what is left of my soap "odds and ends" to figure out what to shave through next. I found a mystery soap. It was in an unlabeled wide-mouth tin container. It passed the smell test (wasn't rancid and actually smelled pretty good). The scent was very fruit forward. I couldn't figure out what soap it was. I didn't remember having a soap that fruity that somehow ended up in the unlabeled container. I wasn't sure if it would lather well or if would shave well, but since it smelled good, I fired it up for this morning's shave.

Immediately upon the start of lathering I knew that, whatever this was, it was a good soap. It made a beautiful, dense, shiny, unctuous lather, and it smelled even better lathered up. I applied it to my face and did my first pass. Fantastic! It shaved as good as it looked. It was killing me that I didn't know what it was.

Finally, as I was rinsing off after the first pass and getting ready to lather up for the second pass, it came to me. I had purchased a sample of Stirling Satsuma at one point, and I had pressed it into the bottom of a wide-mouth container. I don't know why it ended up at the back of my hoard. I remember shaving with it maybe 3 or 4 times, at most. That means I probably have at least 16 more shaves in this puck (4 weeks for me, since I shave 4 times a week).

As a bonus, I also have a bottle of mentholated Satsuma aftershave, so I get to match for a month or so! I almost never do that.

Anyway, I was so excited that I found the Stirling Satsuma. Really looking forward to the next month or so of happy, bright, orange-scented shaves for the start of summer.
Perfect!

Top Bottom