What's new

America's Cup is New Zealands Cup

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Has anyone else been watching the America's Cup?
What a great result, Team NZ beating Oracle 7-1 to win The Auld Mug. :a50::a50::a50:

It's been great watching even at 5:00am NZ time. :)

Large_CC130918121.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It did not look good when we pitchpoled in qualifying. They managed to make a new sail out of the 2 damaged.
Maybe they used a bit of good old no.8 wire. :)

1496788749233_jpg.png

Fantastic event and great win for TNZ against the big boys of world yachting.

I'm not a huge yacht racing fan, as much of the terminology is foreign to me, but the chance to claim a trophy as significant as the America's Cup always get me enthused.

The latest reports suggest the boat was more damaged than TNZ were letting on. Problems during an earlier race with Artemis (when they had to use the wrong setup for the conditions) put so much 'out of limits' pressure on the foils and/or dagger boards that they had to monitor the damage every night in the boat shed using ultrasonic scanning. Seems the rate of deterioration made Dalton and others believe the boat may only have had a day or two left in it before it would start breaking up! Not sure how much of this is post-win hype, but it reveals just how 'bleeding edge' the technology was.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I've enjoyed watching the Americas Cup since the 80's but that is the only sailing that I watch.

I would not be surpiced if some of the gear was just holding together. That was a big moment when flipped it on the start line.

My history of American's Cup extends back to when I was a kid watching the GB losing badly to the US every time the event was staged. Thankfully, it didn't happen as frequently as it does now, so our pain didn't come round every three or four years! (unless you want to talk about the pain of watching many failed attempts by the Scottish football team to make it to the World Cup, or do anything meaningful the few occasions they have got there :001_rolle, but that's a different story).

Plenty of other reports today on how the TNZ effort was almost scuppered before it started. A near miracle we got there and maybe even more so that we actually win it. Number 8 wire mentality obviously helped once again. We'll take the win whatever it takes to achieve.

We may be witnessing the beginnings of an America's Cup dynasty in NZ - we are the only country outside of the USA that can say we've won it multiple times (three - San Diego, Auckland, Bermuda) and most of the crews and backroom teams have a healthy contingent of Kiwis. The future looks very bright on the sailing front. Seems Britannia (or the USA) no longer rules the waves...

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
NZ have been building on sailing for a while now. Even the Orical boat and others were largely made in New Zealand. I'm sure you will see kids inspired and getting out there doing it.
When we were beaten from being 8-1 up in San Francisco by Orical, it was partly with replacement NZ made parts.

It will be interesting to see what the new rules and type of boat will be. They are already saying you will need to be from that country to race for them.

Nice that you guys were able to reclaim the cup. Have they managed to fix the cup after that beating that it took in Auckland?

I have mixed feelings about the whole event. I loved the majesty of the 12 metre yachts and really miss seeing them on the water but it is impossible to stop technology and if something faster and shinier keeps the cash rolling in...

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Nice that you guys were able to reclaim the cup. Have they managed to fix the cup after that beating that it took in Auckland?

I have mixed feelings about the whole event. I loved the majesty of the 12 metre yachts and really miss seeing them on the water but it is impossible to stop technology and if something faster and shinier keeps the cash rolling in...

The cup was rebuilt, hope no one does the same again.

I also like the 12 metre yachts, it was much more of a test of skills. I'm not saying the big cats don't require great sailors but just more so with the monohull.
It has got to a point where the cost is too high to compete. The Aussie did not enter for money reasons
Team NZ were on a tight budget and almost could not pay the crew for the finals racing against a billionaire sponsored boat, Oracle Team USA.
Tean NZ were selling their gear as soon as the final was over.

There is talk that they may go to a 65 foot foiling monohull.
I would like to see these racing.

Large_15_66029_MONO60EDMONDdeROTHSCHILD.jpg

The cup was rebuilt, hope no one does the same again.

I also like the 12 metre yachts, it was much more of a test of skills. I'm not saying the big cats don't require great sailors but just more so with the monohull.
It has got to a point where the cost is too high to compete. The Aussie did not enter for money reasons
Team NZ were on a tight budget and almost could not pay the crew for the finals racing against a billionaire sponsored boat, Oracle Team USA.
Tean NZ were selling their gear as soon as the final was over.

There is talk that they may go to a 65 foot foiling monohull.
I would like to see these racing.

Obviously off-shore racing is a millionaire's sport, but it is tragic that the number of potential challengers will be so limited because of the cost of kit involved. Good luck with building a team and finding the right combination of boat and crew; it would be a terrific achievement to be able to successfully defend the cup.

Top Bottom