What's new

Woodsy protips

Ad Astra

The Instigator
If anybody has found great ideas for bushcrafting, ax/knife care, fire stuff, camping, compasses, optics and general woodlore – why not share? Cold weather is coming! ❄️ Let's get the heck outside!

Been watching too many outdoors videos; 🏔️ a Dakota fire pit is happening (this time!) in the next overnighter. :devil: Anyways.

Got out the tent to re-scotchgard and found a broken shock cord. Frowned. Those things are always breaking, whether from use, misuse or age. Hate 'em. Gotta be a better way ... 🤔

Had this tarred twinage that bushcraft people use. I yanked out all the rest of the shock cords and rethreaded the tent's poles with the twine. Did have to drill a little hole in the plastic cup-leg that catches the end of the poles, so the twine's tip could pass through. The tarred twine, No18, being non-elastic (and 600x stronger) doesn't retract, hence the little hole. It's a bit longer and stiff enough to push through. Knots keep it all together. Any other tent may be the same or different, but if anyone else hates shock cords too, it seems to be working. At least now, if I have to set up in rainy car headlights, the @#%&! shock cord won't bust! :001_07: And in an emergency, I guess, there's 25' of strong cordage in there ...

What else works?

AA

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
One more: tent peg "legs" for a backpacking grill. Have used; cooked a steak just fine ...

cxv.jpg

AA

If anybody has found great ideas for bushcrafting, ax/knife care, fire stuff, camping, compasses, optics and general woodlore – why not share? Cold weather is coming! ❄️ Let's get the heck outside!
For cordage we use Atwood micro cord exclusively. A 125 ft spool is under 2 oz and is incredibly strong. It seems way more than it's test strength. We use it to rig tarps mostly. Never failed in 6 years use, and our tarps have held in 60 mph blows. Just rig your tarp low in a blow. Excellent stuff and incredibly transportable.
Micro Cord | Order U.S. Made Micro Paracord & Braided Rope Cords Online - Atwood Rope – Atwood Rope MFG - https://atwoodrope.com/collections/micro-cord

We carry about 7ft of 550, but that's mostly for repairing stuff with our sail needles in the repair kit. The nylon inner of 550 is outstanding as heavy duty twine, and for other purposes. We have a good stock of 550, but for many uses it's overkill we have found. And too bulky.

Our favourite bushcraft instructor is Dan at Coalcracker Bushcraft https://www.youtube.com/@coalcracker

He is a superb teacher, with a great knack of creating short instructional videos on essential tips which stick in the memory. An excellent outdoorsman with a good attitude. Highly recommend.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:a23: What's better than commando bands?

One BIG commando band. Witness the evolution of Mora fire-carry:

sdf.jpg

Top is a little Mora with a guard. It's a BOB knife with firecord, a 6" ferro rod, and two commando bands.

What works better:

Below is a Mora Kansbol, excellent knife BTW for fuzz sticks and especially firestarting, with its 90-degree square spine. It's ferro rod is 4", with a bit of firestarting Gorilla tape on the end, in a slim PVC tube, held tight by a LARGE commando band, 4" long.

Why stop there? Once you start cutting up bicycle tubes, an even longer commando band goes fine on an ax handle, and provides better grip and some shock (impact) protection.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
For cordage we use Atwood micro cord exclusively. A 125 ft spool is under 2 oz and is incredibly strong. It seems way more than it's test strength. We use it to rig tarps mostly. Never failed in 6 years use, and our tarps have held in 60 mph blows. Just rig your tarp low in a blow. Excellent stuff and incredibly transportable.
Micro Cord | Order U.S. Made Micro Paracord & Braided Rope Cords Online - Atwood Rope – Atwood Rope MFG - https://atwoodrope.com/collections/micro-cord

We carry about 7ft of 550, but that's mostly for repairing stuff with our sail needles in the repair kit. The nylon inner of 550 is outstanding as heavy duty twine, and for other purposes. We have a good stock of 550, but for many uses it's overkill we have found. And too bulky.

Our favourite bushcraft instructor is Dan at Coalcracker Bushcraft https://www.youtube.com/@coalcracker

He is a superb teacher, with a great knack of creating short instructional videos on essential tips which stick in the memory. An excellent outdoorsman with a good attitude. Highly recommend.

Coalcracker is great! Corporal's Corner guy (Shawn Kelly) is his buddy. The shelters that guy builds with a Silky saw and some bankline twine are amazing, IMO.

AA

1. Multiple Bic Lighters
2. A FAK with a TQ
3. Taking a sleeping bag that gives you a bit of room re the temp i.e. a 45 Degree bag despite WX saying it is only going to get down to 65 ish.
4. A quality blade
5. A quality headlamp to keep hands free
7. I like Vaseline infused dryer link balls in an altoid tin
8. In very broad strokes, they is no such thing a bad weather, just bad gear choices....
9. Merino Wool for socks
10. Ex Officio for underwear.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thats an interesting setup!

The aluminum handled the heat of the coals ok?
Twice so far ... steel ones are equally doable ... but it was a tightly controlled cooking fire, not a blazing coal bed.

Also liking cotton balls/face pads infused with Vaseline because - I have read - most clothing wash loads today have a lot of nylon. On the rare times I empty the lint filter (I am not allowed to do laundry BOOYAH) it does seem a mix of cotton lint and something other.

AA

Twice so far ... steel ones are equally doable ... but it was a tightly controlled cooking fire, not a blazing coal bed.

Also liking cotton balls/face pads infused with Vaseline because - I have read - most clothing wash loads today have a lot of nylon. On the rare times I empty the lint filter (I am not allowed to do laundry BOOYAH) it does seem a mix of cotton lint and something other.

AA
Gotcha!

I never carry Vaseline cotton balls/makeup pads. Too messy.
Instead I carry a couple/few makeup pads and a tube of chapstick. Just add chapstick to the pad as needed...no mess. And I use the chapstick for what is meant for to boot.

Jay

Legion

Staff member
:a23: What's better than commando bands?

One BIG commando band. Witness the evolution of Mora fire-carry:

View attachment 1741384

Top is a little Mora with a guard. It's a BOB knife with firecord, a 6" ferro rod, and two commando bands.

What works better:

Below is a Mora Kansbol, excellent knife BTW for fuzz sticks and especially firestarting, with its 90-degree square spine. It's ferro rod is 4", with a bit of firestarting Gorilla tape on the end, in a slim PVC tube, held tight by a LARGE commando band, 4" long.

Why stop there? Once you start cutting up bicycle tubes, an even longer commando band goes fine on an ax handle, and provides better grip and some shock (impact) protection.

AA
I do similar with 550 cord. A bit of extra cord never goes astray. Ground the knife spine square as a striker.

IMG_4934.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Gotcha!

I never carry Vaseline cotton balls/makeup pads. Too messy.
Instead I carry a couple/few makeup pads and a tube of chapstick. Just add chapstick to the pad as needed...no mess. And I use the chapstick for what is meant for to boot.

Jay

Messy indeed! I keep mine in an Altoids tin, along with waxed jute twine. I can't ignite it very well with a flint-n'-steel, but it's pretty satisfying to hit such with a decent ferro rod. That tin box is quite waxy on the inside, yes. I drip candle wax into the tinder in it.

Chapstick's funny. I seem to need it when traveling, but never at home ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I do similar with 550 cord. A bit of extra cord never goes astray. Ground the knife spine square as a striker.

View attachment 1741638

That IS a classic wrap, David! Good looking firestarter, too.

I've got firecord with a strand of tinder-thread in it. Need to get a bit of that paracord with fishing line, firestarter, wire etc. in it. Supercord or something it's called.

Orange is a wise choice. I recently replaced a camo wallet ... No, I didn't lose my old one! :) But any small object - a camo Zippo etc - dropped in the woods ... well. The orange is a good idea.

AA

Legion

Staff member
That IS a classic wrap, David! Good looking firestarter, too.

I've got firecord with a strand of tinder-thread in it. Need to get a bit of that paracord with fishing line, firestarter, wire etc. in it. Supercord or something it's called.

Orange is a wise choice. I recently replaced a camo wallet ... No, I didn't lose my old one! :) But any small object - a camo Zippo etc - dropped in the woods ... well. The orange is a good idea.

AA
I've got a hank of that cord in a bugout bag somewhere. What's the bet I cant remember which inner strand is which if I actually need it?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've got a hank of that cord in a bugout bag somewhere. What's the bet I cant remember which inner strand is which if I actually need it?
😁 You can tell when you melt a freshly cut end... It keeps burning!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:c2: Dave Canterbury's second book, Advanced Bushcraft, is so good, I finished it, flipped it around and started through a second time ... recommend.

I just went from long covid to bronchitis, to two weeks of semi-health, and then, FLU. Do not catch this year's flu, or you'll be in bed reading books, too. It's bad.

Ah. Ordered some Stowaway Gourmet ... $, but very well liked:

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 10.53.20 AM.png

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Organic hemp wick, coated in beeswax, as a lighter wrap. Also a bit of bank line, Gorilla tape and cover with a commando band (bike tube bit).

That wick just turns in a slow match/candle. A very long burning candle or firestarter.

AA

Top Bottom