What's new

Amazing DFS results!

This morning I was rushed to shave and my usual shaving accoutrements were still in my luggage since I flew back from vacation. I didn't feel like digging around for them so I reached for what was already in my bathroom cabinet: Merkur 45 Bakelite with a Personna blade in it, and Burt's Bees Shave Cream. (I only tested this cream once and didn't really like it.)
I saturated my face with hot water first. Applied Burt's Bees Shave Cream (no brush because it has the consistency of moisturizing cream). Shaved WTG. Another coat of cream, then shaved AGT--2 passes only. I achieved very near BBS!! I only had a light rough patch under my chin. I rinsed with cold water, no AS splash or balm. The Burt's Bees left my skin oh so smooth.
I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome of this quick shave I had with 3 days growth.
I am now a fan of Burt's Bees. :clap::clap:

Ingredients of Burt's Bees Shave Cream:
water, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, stearic acid, glycerin, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, silica, sodium borate, glucose, cetyl alcohol, citrus aurantium bergamia (bergamot) fruit oil, citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel oil, pogostemon cablin (patchouli) oil, citrus reticulata (tangerine/petitgrain) leaf oil, abies sibirica (fir needle) oil, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil, tilia cordata (linden) flower extract, calendula officinalis flower extract, centaurea cyanus (cornflower) flower extract, anthemis nobilis (chamomile) flower extract, hypericum perforatum (St. John’s wort) extract, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose oxidase, lactoperoxidase

Featured Ingredient
Calendula — Calendula officinalis of the Marigold plant. Calendula is classified as an anti-inflammatory and is often used to treat itching, flaking, weeping skin conditions.

Calendula: Calendula officinalis of the Marigold plant. Calendula is classified as an anti-inflammatory and is often used to treat itching, flaking, weeping skin conditions. It is a wonderful, emollient oil that has a soothing effect on the skin and is an effective ally in treating water retention, cellulite, and special needs of mature skin.

http://www.burtsbees.com/product-line/natural-skin-care-men/natural-skin-care-men-shave-cream.html

Are you talking about the stuff that comes in the black tube? I tried that once, with mediocre results, but I used a brush. Maybe it deserves another shot.

Are you talking about the stuff that comes in the black tube? I tried that once, with mediocre results, but I used a brush. Maybe it deserves another shot.
That's the stuff! I had a similar experience the first time around. I was actually pretty upset with how left my brush. I had to wash it several times to get out all the residue. Also, I used a Gillette SS with it the first time. I feel that it does better with a mild razor like the Merkur Bakelite because its not thick and foamy. Mild razor with a sharp blade should leave you with DFS at least and no burn or nicks.

Based entirely on your recommendation, I am going to try this stuff again tomorrow. I already have a sharp blades (Voskhod) loaded into a mild razor (President). I'll give it one more try, but if it works like last time, I'm sending it to you.

Looking at the ingredient list, (and from what I remember when I tried it years ago) it's pretty much a "shave oil" that has been whipped into an emulsion with water & glycerin, and had some sand (silica) added (don't have a clue why - maybe to hold the emulsion?)

I remember the shave being about as close and comfortable as my ONE experience shaving with Shave Secret oil (with no lather on top - just the oil.) Not a disaster, just nothing I wanted to try again... The only difference was Shave Secret didn't gum up the razor, the BB product needed a forceful stream of warm water to melt it out of the crevices.

Based entirely on your recommendation, I am going to try this stuff again tomorrow. I already have a sharp blades (Voskhod) loaded into a mild razor (President). I'll give it one more try, but if it works like last time, I'm sending it to you.
Ok. Give it a shot. If it doesn't work the way it did for me, I will gladly accept your offer. I will even pay shipping.
Being that its all natural, this will be my go to cream for shaving when I go camping. I may even use it as an AS balm since it has tremendous moisturizing properties.
Although I didn't try it yet, I'm thinking it might even be great with the blade buffing technique.

The only difference was Shave Secret didn't gum up the razor, the BB product needed a forceful stream of warm water to melt it out of the crevices.
I rinsed between passes using hot water from my faucet at a very low speed. Didn't really gum up for me. Maybe because I was using a Bakelite? Doesn't stick to plastic?

I rinsed between passes using hot water from my faucet at a very low speed. Didn't really gum up for me. Maybe because I was using a Bakelite? Doesn't stick to plastic?

It might depend on exactly how hot your water is too... and how hot you keep the razor head. My "hot" water is showering temperature in the winter time... I use an electric water kettle to get REALLY hot water to final rinse razors with so they dry quickly.

It might depend on exactly how hot your water is too... and how hot you keep the razor head. My "hot" water is showering temperature in the winter time... I use an electric water kettle to get REALLY hot water to final rinse razors with so they dry quickly.
Point taken.

Ok. Give it a shot. If it doesn't work the way it did for me, I will gladly accept your offer. I will even pay shipping.
Being that its all natural, this will be my go to cream for shaving when I go camping. I may even use it as an AS balm since it has tremendous moisturizing properties.
Although I didn't try it yet, I'm thinking it might even be great with the blade buffing technique.

Well I tried this stuff again, but without the brush and I had quite good results. The scent is nice and it does moisturize the face. Spreading liberally with water and using hands instead of a brush provided sufficient slickness for a DFS. Any shortcomings were on account of the operator, not the shave cream (I was in a bit of a rush this morning.) I have had worse results from soaps when I used too much or too little water. Also, this product is all natural. That said, Burt's Bees Shave Cream will never be a favorite of mine. I like soaps, enjoy the ritual of using a brush, and don't need the extra moisturizing (my skin tends toward oily). If you pm me your address, I'll swim to the post office this weekend. I would encourage you to put a review of this cream in the shaving cream area. Burt's has a pretty poor reputation, which seems undeserved. Thanks for encouraging me to try this again.

Well I tried this stuff again, but without the brush and I had quite good results. The scent is nice and it does moisturize the face. Spreading liberally with water and using hands instead of a brush provided sufficient slickness for a DFS. Any shortcomings were on account of the operator, not the shave cream (I was in a bit of a rush this morning.) I have had worse results from soaps when I used too much or too little water. Also, this product is all natural. That said, Burt's Bees Shave Cream will never be a favorite of mine. I like soaps, enjoy the ritual of using a brush, and don't need the extra moisturizing (my skin tends toward oily). If you pm me your address, I'll swim to the post office this weekend. I would encourage you to put a review of this cream in the shaving cream area. Burt's has a pretty poor reputation, which seems undeserved. Thanks for encouraging me to try this again.

Product review will be up soon. Thanks for the suggestion, and thanks offering me your cream. It will have a nice home with me.

Top Bottom