What's new

Help with prep routine

Update:

I’ve been paying more attention to my prep and shaves have improved. I’ve started wetting my face thoroughly, even submerged it in the sink (xd) and then used glycerine soap. I leave that on my face while I bowl lather, rinse and apply lather. The razor glides much better and most of the tugging is gone. Only problem is glycerine is giving me kind of a reaction, so I’m considering other options. But I believe a big part of the problem was lack of prep, and technique of course

Update:

I’ve been paying more attention to my prep and shaves have improved. I’ve started wetting my face thoroughly, even submerged it in the sink (xd) and then used glycerine soap. I leave that on my face while I bowl lather, rinse and apply lather. The razor glides much better and most of the tugging is gone. Only problem is glycerine is giving me kind of a reaction, so I’m considering other options. But I believe a big part of the problem was lack of prep, and technique of course
If the glycerin is causing issues, try a hard soap puck workaround.

Any dud soaps for me, end up in the shower. I've used them as straight facial washes in the shower too. You can let them sit on your face like a commerical preshave oil/gel for a few minutes, then rinse off.

When I did use preshaves, RazoRock PreBarba was my favorite. It made the lather ultra slick and smelled good too from what I remember.

If the glycerin is causing issues, try a hard soap puck workaround.

Any dud soaps for me, end up in the shower. I've used them as straight facial washes in the shower too. You can let them sit on your face like a commerical preshave oil/gel for a few minutes, then rinse off.

When I did use preshaves, RazoRock PreBarba was my favorite. It made the lather ultra slick and smelled good too from what I remember.

Thanks a lot. I’m considering using some Nivea Sensitive shave cream that is laying around somewhere in my den. I also have Cremo (which I have used as preshave before), but it might not be hydrating enough for my extremely dry skin. I figured out my skin gets so dry that it was kind of absorbing the lather when used by itself and that produced the tugging. The driest areas match perfectly with the places that got most irritated

I’m curious about Noxzema classic shave cream, but it also contains glycerine

You can also try a very light coat of aloe or shea ...wait a minute or 2...then whatever soap you have..
It will help with hydration and protection. I use my own oils but your mileage may vary..

If your skin is that dry and sucks it up like no tomorrow, try a bit more...you can ever do it in between every pass.
If you apply to much, and does not absorb...it will bog down the razor and blade
you just got to find what works best for you..
BFX

Hi All
The "to use preshave or not to use preshave" sure is an interesting one.
I think the YMMV mantra and if it works for you then stick with it are pertinent.

In my experience the "preshave" care isn't just what I do immediately prior to shaving but is part of my skincare routine. It's not just about the hairs but also the skin. Dry skin is not going to respond well to having a sharp piece of metal moved over it. Also hairs can be softened in a similar way that hair oils can soften your hair. (This is just my opinion, I'm not a scientist).

I have found that a simple routine of Cleanse, Tone and Moisturise makes a difference but that this takes time to work. It's not a quick fix.
I try to avoid washing my face with anything too harsh prior to shaving, actually usually just splash with warm water.
Then I massage my own handmade preshave oil into my face. The oils I use are fast absorbing and so by the time I have finished prepping my lather, my face is non greasy and dry.
During the shave I feel that the absorbed oil really is protecting the skin from the Razor edge. I don't feel the blade and,
again, IMHO, the preshave oil I use is not done working immediately after shaving. I feel the effects of it throughout the day. In other words, my skin is smooth, supple and the oils are working to improve my complexion and repair my skin from past damage.

I also like my lather quite thick but again (YMMV and "if it works for you...),
I also try to avoid over stretching my skin especially around or near my Adam's apple, this seems to reduce post shave irritation.

The blade imo needs to be super sharp so no matter what I only take four shaves from each Feather that I use. Angle is important too, but comes with time and practice (nothing about this morning zen like ritual is supposed to be a race or done in seconds, like the TV adverts seem to go on about). Also until skin is able I have avoided a second pass.

Lastly After shaving I rinse my face with
warm water and PAT dry with a nice fluffy towel. Then I apply a few splashes of my own handmade skin tonic which is made from Yuzu Hydrosol, Aloe extract and glycerin along with the minimum required preservative. I find that this hydrates my skin, the aloe acts as an astringent and also soothes and calms the skin.

I am now working on a mild but skin loving aftershave milk to soothe, calm and lock in moisture along with added aging skincare benefits for us "mature" Gents lol.

Enjoy the shave ritual and as always YMMV and if it works for....
It is though really good to try lots of different things as suggested by the many excellent and experienced Gentlemen on this forum. It's thanks to them I have learned so much and feel that I want to contribute back where I can.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps.

Yes, great job...glad you found what works for you. Also remember, the post shave skin recovery can also be just as important but as long as it works for the shaver, stick with it. You only get one face, take care of it.
BFX

I’ve been DE shaving for a couple of months now and I think my unsuccessful shaves (which have been many) are due to lack of prep. My last shave was so bad (tons of tugging and irritation) I’ve taken almost two weeks off to let my skin rest. I can whip up an acceptable lather and although my shaving angle still needs work, I feel tugging even in areas which are not overly complicated. However, the worst part is always my jawline and chin. Even with a sharp blade and good lather the razor just won’t glide and start tugging a lot in those areas. I’ve mapped my beard and follow the growth, and just shave with the grain. My beard is not coarse (not from what I’ve seen in other cases), but my skin is kind of special due to a condition. Towards my nose it’s oily and easily swells, and towards my jaw it’s extremely dry (it peels off if I don’t use hydrating lotions). So hot things like hot shower, hot water and hot towels won’t really work for my face. This is what I’ve tried so far as prep:

- Wash with a cleanser
- Wash with glycerine soap
- Massage bloomed water used in a hard soap
- Massage with soap suds produced when I load the brush

I mostly bowl lather, the brush kind of upsets my skin if I lather on my face. I do have some Proraso pre shave samples I could try, also Cremo which I know some people use as a preshave. Would you recommend other products? Pre shave creams, oils, the famous Cube from PAA?

Thanks in advance
Have you tried olive oil as a pre-shave oil? You could use any edible oil available. You apply it on your face then apply the lather and shave. Taking a hot shower before showering is a must, at least for me but if I can't take a shower then I'll just was my face with hot water till the whiskers are wet and then I apply the olive oil on my skin. Works like a charm.

If you have razor burns and shaving rash then it's better to wait till your skin is healed, I know how fun it is to shave with a DE and waiting can be annoying but shaving while your skin is damaged is a bad idea.

Some hard soaps are harder to lather up compared to creams, maybe you should get the Proraso shaving cream? It's an easy cream to work with.

Which blade are you using????

Have you tried olive oil as a pre-shave oil? You could use any edible oil available. You apply it on your face then apply the lather and shave. Taking a hot shower before showering is a must, at least for me but if I can't take a shower then I'll just was my face with hot water till the whiskers are wet and then I apply the olive oil on my skin. Works like a charm.

If you have razor burns and shaving rash then it's better to wait till your skin is healed, I know how fun it is to shave with a DE and waiting can be annoying but shaving while your skin is damaged is a bad idea.

Some hard soaps are harder to lather up compared to creams, maybe you should get the Proraso shaving cream? It's an easy cream to work with.

Which blade are you using????

Hi there. My prep routine has improved a lot, and so have my shaves. I start by washing with cerave cleanser, then I generously pat my face with tap water, apply the bloomed water from my soap and continue hydrating with water while I bowl lather. Then I apply the lather on my face. My go to blades now are Astra SP, which seem to be the best match for my Henson

Yes, great job...glad you found what works for you. Also remember, the post shave skin recovery can also be just as important but as long as it works for the shaver, stick with it. You only get one face, take care of it.
BFX
Totally agree with this.
For me anyways a good skin tonic post shave then a good balm or lotion before EDT if using. EDT on raw skin will likely cause irritation. YMMV

PS just got a bottle of neroli hydrosol, which smells awesome, so may attempt my first shot at an aftershave milk this weekend. Neroli is said to be a good astringent too, so this will also be the base of my next citrus (yuzu neroli) skin tonic.

IME warm/hot water on the face helps a lot. If you can shower before you shave, that will probably help.

I have never been a fan of commercial pre-shave products though there are some that are decent for what they are, e.g. the Proraso one.

The only pre-shave I recommend anymore is jojoba oil, assuming your skin can tolerate it (do a patch test). It is a very mild oil and generally non-comedogenic. Some other types of oils can lead to pore clogging IME and are known to be comedogenic.

At any rate, you only need a few drops of the oil. I usually wet my face with warm/hot water then massage the oil into my beard area. It's getting colder and drier here so I have been using it more recently. I don't typically use it during the spring/summer.

Jojoba oil can also be used to enhance any facial moisturizer. Add a few drops, mix in hands, then apply.

Thanks a lot. I’m considering using some Nivea Sensitive shave cream that is laying around somewhere in my den. I also have Cremo (which I have used as preshave before), but it might not be hydrating enough for my extremely dry skin. I figured out my skin gets so dry that it was kind of absorbing the lather when used by itself and that produced the tugging. The driest areas match perfectly with the places that got most irritated

I’m curious about Noxzema classic shave cream, but it also contains glycerine
Hmm if your skin is extremely dry I would recommend using an oil at night time. I've found that since I've been using my own one as a preshave and at night that I'm getting much better closer irritation free shaves.
Also immediately after shaving before even putting any lotion on I use a tonic. That does several things. 1. Is a mild astringent. 2. The aloe acts a great soother and the yuzu is a great hydrater., anti inflammatory and helps to reduce redness too. It's great for sensitive skin.
Mine could be made without glycerin too. Then I let my face rest while having breakfast. Then before heading out I use a light Moisturiser.

The only pre-shave I recommend anymore is jojoba oil, assuming your skin can tolerate it (do a patch test). It is a very mild oil and generally non-comedogenic. Some other types of oils can lead to pore clogging IME and are known to be comedogenic.
Interesting. I started using Carthusia preshave oil and it is super light.
I do add jojoba in my ownmade one but at the lowest percentage of the three as I found it is quite thick. I use grapeseed and sweet almond oil. They are both fast absorbing too. I'm working on a new formulation which will include olive squalane which is super light and absorbing too.

Top Bottom