What's new

aluminum containers

Is it just me or do aluminum containers detract from the smell of the soap? I seem to smell a metallic odor that I don't care for. I like the soaps in plastic or glass containers.

Mike, it might be you.
Some people have especially sensitive sense of smell.
Do you have any sensitivity to beverages in AL cans?
To foods wrapped in AL foil?
Run a blind test, with same cream stored in AL and separately in glass.
Use three or four samples from each and see if how many you can identify.

No one has ever complained about the smell in these...........milled solid aluminum.

$YDGlhM3.jpg

It is probably me but I do not notice anything in beverages in aluminum or anything wrapped in aluminum foil. I bought a couple of aluminum containers from one of our vendors and I also have two different Tiki soaps in aluminum. In both of these I smell aluminum and it detracts from the scent of the soap. Probably my overactive imagination!

It is probably me but I do not notice anything in beverages in aluminum or anything wrapped in aluminum foil. I bought a couple of aluminum containers from one of our vendors and I also have two different Tiki soaps in aluminum. In both of these I smell aluminum and it detracts from the scent of the soap. Probably my overactive imagination!
It's not just you...I've had the same experience with aluminum containers that I purchased. I was just thinking of moving the soaps to different containers very recently. I've bought and bin'd so many containers since starting this hobby.

I've a bunch of screw-top aluminum tins filled with various soaps, and I haven't yet detected any metallic odor. I will be checking. I hope not, as they are so handy.

If the soap is even slightly acidic, it will react with the aluminum. I recall reading to not choose aluminum pots to cook tomato based dishes due to the acidity of tomatoes. I seem to recall that artisan soaps tend to be more acidic than commercial offerings. Perhaps someone better versed in soap making could speak to soap ph?

Looks like 3 soaps that i keep in some aluminum containers I got off ebay have the metallic scent. I don't know this never bothered me before, but I just moved them over to some anchor hocking glass containers that I had on hand. I have a few others in metal containers from SCS and Mike's and those are fine.

That's a bummer, you may have to transfer your soaps into glass it works for me.....
View attachment 528662

That's exactly what I am doing. I just bought 4 of the AH glass containers like yours and I am transferring the soaps. Can't see not enjoying the fragrance over a $2 container. Besides, it's another part of this all encompassing madness:eek:

Top Bottom