What's new

Alum Ladd's Garden Shed

Magnificent, Brother @RRGGMM !

Here is mine, a B-4, a wonderful gift from a great gentleman here.
View attachment 1806400
According to information from the inestimable Mitch, aka @mgweatherly the paint chosen by Gillette was actually an English modelling paint, still available today. Humbrol No.20 Crimson

No 20 Crimson Gloss Enamel Humbrol AA0223 | Scale Model Shop - https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/14ml-no-20-crimson-gloss-enamel-humbrol-aa0223-p6627/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA3JCvBhA8EiwA4kujZjae8v5l8XG5ulxekzqjmg6vPxH5x0hS8n55_XnD8pUvr3paAjzpbRoCy6MQAvD_BwE

It's available in a wide variety of sub variants. I think the Metalcote would be the most suitable. It should be available in the CONUS.
This is excellent information! I want to be touching up my Red Tips tail.

Would you by any chance also know the colour to the Eclipse Red Ring? I have been wanting to give mine the Red Ring back you see.

Thanks again Simon.

Guido

I was going to add an emoji but I'm not quite sure what you mean... a concern about razor blade life... or a life crisis similar to choosing the right blade which might mean.... a small crisis.... or something else.

I hope it's the former....
I don't know if my choices have been the right ones, I need a lot to stock up in a short time, and in 3 weeks the absurd national mail system will not ship blades anymore.

My seller will most likely ship via courier going forward, but it just adds to a vague sense of angst. There is too much of it in the world at the moment anyway. This is small I know but it's all cumulative.

Also recently I have had the odd compulsive notion that every 50 blades I hoard will add 1 year to my life.

Last edited:
Rhodium plating from RE. This will close out the chapter on my RE experience, but the razor looks great. The real test will be in how well it holds up.
IMG_4709.jpg
IMG_4710.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't know if my choices have been the right ones, I need a lot to stock up in a short time, and in 3 weeks the absurd national mail system will not ship blades anymore.

My seller will most likely ship via courier going forward, but it just adds to a vague sense of angst. There is too much of it in the world at the moment anyway. This is small I know but it's all cumulative.

Also recently I have had the odd compulsive notion that every 50 blades I hoard will add 1 year to my life.
I don't understand some of these new UK laws..... I can't see how they see a viability is shipping something like razor blades that are used in every nation on the planet.

What will they ban next? Lumber? I mean... you can make weapons and clubs out of wood... They should be banned for public safety. <eg>

I don't understand some of these new UK laws..... I can't see how they see a viability is shipping something like razor blades that are used in every nation on the planet.

What will they ban next? Lumber? I mean... you can make weapons and clubs out of wood... They should be banned for public safety. <eg>
Maybe our woke police and legal system should crack down on weekly hate marches and those funding and organising them, which make central London unendurable and deeply threatening to 90% of our Jewish brothers and sisters according to recent polls and leave mere razor blades be.

It's not the England I grew up in, lets just say that..

Last edited:
I'm having trouble with the Super Max Diamond Edge.

Not used one for a year plus, I used about 3 tucks before I wandered off to other blades. I recalled them being quite Gillette Platinum-like (the Plat 'classics' not the new swedes) and an excellent deal. I think I paid £5 for a 100.

This new blade has proved rather underwhelming. It was ok and quite as I recall in my 49 Super Speed but shave 2 in the Red Tip was frankly a sub-par shave. The blade did not seem to be cutting with sufficient depth.

This may be user error (most likely) and I have noticed that the Red Tip is oddly blade picky for a vintage, as almost all of my others are very tolerant of a wide blade variety.

It's a bit of a pain as I was going to pick up another 100 of them with 150 Super Max Blue Diamonds.

It may be just a bad blade, although oddly I have never had a 'bad blade' experience with any blade type.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I'm starting to think the Blue Diamonds in the red white blue hologram pack may be the better blade. I hear good things..

Not tried them but I may get a 100+ of them instead. They are slightly, very slightly pricier than the DE but still a great deal.
I have several Super Max blades in my stash but I've yet to try any of them. I'll have to go digging to see what's in there. :)

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm having trouble with the Super Max Diamond Edge.

Not used one for a year plus, I used about 3 tucks before I wandered off to other blades. I recalled them being quite Gillette Platinum-like (the Plat 'classics' not the new swedes) and an excellent deal. I think I paid £5 for a 100.

This new blade has proved rather underwhelming. It was ok and quite as I recall in my 49 Super Speed but shave 2 in the Red Tip was frankly a sub-par shave. The blade did not seem to be cutting with sufficient depth.

This may be user error (most likely) and I have noticed that the Red Tip is oddly blade picky for a vintage, as almost all of my others are very tolerant of a wide blade variety.

It's a bit of a pain as I was going to pick up another 100 of them with 150 Super Max Blue Diamonds.

It may be just a bad blade, although oddly I have never had a 'bad blade' experience with any blade type.
Ah, the proverbial bad blade. I've heard tell of such creatures, but I've never experienced them in the wild.

I'm starting to think the Blue Diamonds in the red white blue hologram pack may be the better blade. I hear good things..

Not tried them but I may get a 100+ of them instead. They are slightly, very slightly pricier than the DE but still a great deal.
Remember, Super Max is out of business now so whatever is out there is it. That said, most agree that the Blue Diamonds are the older ones and their quality control was what gave them their reputation back then(not good). I haven’t had any noticeable bad ones other than from their Zorrik brand. You might be underwhelmed by the sharpness though, even compared to the Diamond Edge blades.

Top Bottom