What's new

Alum Ladd's Garden Shed

Razor: U.S Gillette 1949 Super Speed
Blade: Super Max Diamond Edge (1)

IMG_20240302_212041308.jpg

Excellent SSF shave tonight with the wonderful 40's Super Speed.

Wanted to use a nicely mild and efficient platform for re-visiting the Super Max Diamond Edge. It's been a few months since I used one and pondering whether to get a new batch of Super Max blades.

It's a lovely blade with a nice balance of excellent smoothness with an acceptable edge. Actually to my face somewhat better than a Platinum.

A great example of Indian quality blade manufacturing.

As I was shaving tonight (see above) Mrs Ladd came into the bathroom and modelled two dresses for me that had come in the post in a plastic package that morning. Mid-pass two it was.

This was a new tactic which caught me somewhat off-guard. If ever a nick was about to happen, it was now.

However, I kept my composure.

I found them to be somewhat dowdy dresses, which did not do Mrs Ladd's rather magnificent figure justice. She is a slim, long legged woman with a powerful upper deck armament, if you get my drift. She suits pencil dresses, of the early 60's Jackie Kennedy style if that makes sense. Just above the knee is about right.

These were rather dreary sack-like garments which did her figure no justice at all. I asked her if she thought she was in Kabul. This seemed to deflate her.

I lathered for the final pass deep in thought.

Inspired by the almondy scent of the Cella I was using, I launched into a magnificent oration, to save the situation, and the evening.

"Madam, there are two types of woman when it comes to the wearing of clothes. Those who through the cruelty of nature, let their clothes mock their form, or those women who through their natural physical beauty and poise, dominate the clothes that they wear. You, my love are a natural model and belong to the latter type. You shine through the clothes you wear, thus revealing their inadequacies"

This mollified her, and allowed me to complete my final pass in peace.

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
As I was shaving tonight (see above) Mrs Ladd came into the bathroom and modelled two dresses for me that had come in the post in a plastic package that morning. Mid-pass two it was.

This was a new tactic which caught me somewhat off-guard. If ever a nick was about to happen, it was now.

However, I kept my composure.

I found them to be somewhat dowdy dresses, which did not do Mrs Ladd's rather magnificent figure justice. She is a slim, long legged woman with a powerful upper deck armament, if you get my drift. She suits pencil dresses, of the early 60's Jackie Kennedy style if that makes sense. Just above the knee is about right.

These were rather dreary sack-like garments which did her figure no justice at all. I asked her if she thought she was in Kabul. This seemed to deflate her.

I lathered for the final pass deep in thought.

Inspired by the almondy scent of the Cella I was using, I launched into a magnificent oration, to save the situation, and the evening.

"Madam, there are two types of woman when it comes to the wearing of clothes. Those who through the cruelty of nature, let their clothes mock their form, or those women who through their natural physical beauty and poise, dominate the clothes that they wear. You, my love are a natural model and belong to the latter type. You shine through the clothes you wear, thus revealing their inadequacies"

This mollified her, and allowed me to complete my final pass in peace.
I haven't visited Basenotes in many years, but your post suddenly reminded me of an enigmatic reviewer by the name of Naed_Nitram. Is that you in character?

He never posted much, but reading his "perfume" reviews, one would think he's the reincarnation of Hemingway.

Nice save there Simon. What I did admire was your refusal to simply say "They look wonderful, great, very nice etc" which most men do as their fall back position, so as to not offend, insult or cause a possible conflict involving yelling, accusations etc.
The Kabul reference was very funny and I'm sure caused momentary confusion. Which you then turned to pure gold and harmony by reinforcing a positive body image which should be celebrated and not hidden by poorly designed draperies.

cheers-fireworks.gif

Man, I wish I were that smooth.

Worship GIF

I have to admit, I read this thread religiously and like all the gentlemen who participate... but I feel a bit out of place here since I don't shave with any Vintage razors. I have a couple but haven't used them.

I guess, I'm hoping I'm still welcome. I don't post my shaving results much because I using different tools than I see posted here regularly. None of you have made me feel unwelcome, so don't concern yourself about that... It's just me and a few moments of insecurity, I imagine. <eg>

If I hang out here, I can't possibly imagine him having a problem with you. :devil:

Last edited:
A lovely shave with the Super Speed Red Tip. My lighting isn't the best, but the paint on the razor exactly matches the case. I don't know if it is original, but the razor operates and looks new. I can't verify that, and it doesn't matter since it works and shaves excellently and looks nice also! A little milder than a SLim Adjustable on #7, but still a great shave.
IMG_4695.jpg

A lovely shave with the Super Speed Red Tip. My lighting isn't the best, but the paint on the razor exactly matches the case. I don't know if it is original, but the razor operates and looks new. I can't verify that, and it doesn't matter since it works and shaves excellently and looks nice also! A little milder than a SLim Adjustable on #7, but still a great shave.
View attachment 1806399
Magnificent, Brother @RRGGMM !

Here is mine, a B-4, a wonderful gift from a great gentleman here.
IMG_20220928_200627157.jpg

According to information from the inestimable Mitch, aka @mgweatherly the paint chosen by Gillette was actually an English modelling paint, still available today. Humbrol No.20 Crimson

No 20 Crimson Gloss Enamel Humbrol AA0223 | Scale Model Shop - https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/14ml-no-20-crimson-gloss-enamel-humbrol-aa0223-p6627/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA3JCvBhA8EiwA4kujZjae8v5l8XG5ulxekzqjmg6vPxH5x0hS8n55_XnD8pUvr3paAjzpbRoCy6MQAvD_BwE

It's available in a wide variety of sub variants. I think the Metalcote would be the most suitable. It should be available in the CONUS.

Last edited:
Shed Library News Update.

For the usual permanent residents, habituees and drunken overnighters of the Shed, I have added the complete collection of LIFE Magazine to the Shed library.

Published from 1936 to 1972, these legendary weekly magazines are a wonderful snapshot of America and great reads. Now available for browsing to all visitors.

LIFE - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=N0EEAAAAMBAJ&redir_esc=y#all_issues_anchor

Please try not to spill food, beer or other unpleasantness on them. Your co-operation is appreciated.

Last edited:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Shed Library News Update.

For the usual permanent residents, habituees and drunken overnighters of the Shed, I have added the complete collection of LIFE Magazine to the Shed library.

Published from 1936 to 1972, these legendary weekly magazines are a wonderful snapshot of America and great reads. Now available for browsing to all visitors.

LIFE - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=N0EEAAAAMBAJ&redir_esc=y#all_issues_anchor

Please try not to spill food, beer or other unpleasantness on them. Your co-operation is appreciated.
I'll keep my hard cider in the bar area. It won't get near the mags. :)

Top Bottom