What's new

Airline pilot, best alternative shave for travel

Starting the first of the year, I'll be flying for an airline and will be traveling quite a lot. I started wet shaving with a DE (Merkur HD) and badger brush in 2014 and haven't touched a cartridge since. All my irritation was gone within a month or so. I've been hooked ever since.

My facial hair isn't all that coarse but I have to be clean shaven for work now and can pretty much get away with shaving every other day.

So here is my issue...

As an airline pilot, I'll be gone for 3-4 days at a time once on a trip. Obviously I'll need to shave during that time. Since I won't be checking bags on each flight, I can't bring anything restrictive in my carry on. The DE razor itself isn't prohibited, but the blades are.

I'm looking at two options:

- Find a decent alternative to safety razor shaving, maybe I'm unaware of other options (this is potentially where you come in)

- Since I'll know which hotel I'm going to be in ahead of time via my trip schedule, I can send a single blade to each place I stay at ahead of time (C/O myself) via an envelope, stuck between a couple of business cards. I would just carry all the other essentials with me carry on.

The latter would be ideal so I can continue to shave the way I prefer, but it will come at a bit of a cost and obviously some extra time to plan out. I figure 10-12 nights away a month would equal $5 or so in stamps, $2 in envelopes and $2 in blades.

Having to buy cartridges again, monetarily, it may be a wash anyway.

Any suggestions? Am I crazy for trying to plan that out? I REALLY hate shaving with a cartridge and it might not be all that much of a change in monthly cost anyway.

FWIW, I don't shave this way to save money. It's just a nice bonus on top of every other benefit that we are all aware of.

I travel in and out of Australia frequently. I generally stay at the same hotel each time. They are kind enough to save a bottle of Jameson and a shave set up. Occasionally I have to check a bag and restock or restock locally.
You might check with your hotel for a similar service. Perhaps a well labeled box in the hotel safe?
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I know many have recommended the Gillette Guard in the past. I've never tried it. I do like using a BIC disposable for travel when needed. They can perform just as well as a DE when you get used to it.

I can't use any 3-bladed (or more) cart razor at all anymore. I've tried and they tear me up. But I do get good performance out of a vintage Gillette Trac II (2 bladed non-pivoting head) or Gillette Atra (same, but pivoting head). The Trac II is my preferred travel razor since it doesn't pivot, it's more akin to using a DE, like I mentioned with the BIC. If you get Personna brand carts for them they are pretty cheap. I pay $3 for 10 of them. You can also find modern handles that fit the Trac II carts if you cant find a vintage on the BST or otherwise.

Good luck.
Also check out the video on traveling I did:
Member Tutorial: Traveling with your Shave Gear and TSA Tips & Tricks

Captain Chad, first, congrats on your successful recent years with your DE and shave routine!
Let me offer this, much of the reduced irritation may have come from improved lather and prep, as well as your DE technique. With your new travels, you might try returning just to a fresh cartridge, keeping your good prep with badger brush and lather. In my own prior cartridge experience, dirty and scummy blades were a source of some redness. Best wishes on your new role!

The Gillette Guard is a good option. It's not quite as good as a DE in terms of results, nor as pleasant to use, but it does a very decent job with little or no irritation, and at extremely low cost.

When I fly, I take a modern razor and leave the vintage ones at home. Also a synthetic bruah as they dry quickly.
You can take a shave stick, and the aftershav ein small TSA approved vials.
The blades I will buy on site, I have not tried the "mail to my hotel" idea.

Has worked well for me, no issues.

Thank you for all the replies! Some great info already. Before I'm out in the wild, I'll try the single blade cheapos while keeping my other routine the same to see if the irritation stays away.

I travel in and out of Australia frequently. I generally stay at the same hotel each time. They are kind enough to save a bottle of Jameson and a shave set up. Occasionally I have to check a bag and restock or restock locally.
You might check with your hotel for a similar service. Perhaps a well labeled box in the hotel safe?
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I thought of this exact thing but until I know how consistent my trips are, I'm not sure it will be an option. Once I get some seniority, maybe though. Thank you for the input!

Captain Chad, first, congrats on your successful recent years with your DE and shave routine!
Let me offer this, much of the reduced irritation may have come from improved lather and prep, as well as your DE technique. With your new travels, you might try returning just to a fresh cartridge, keeping your good prep with badger brush and lather. In my own prior cartridge experience, dirty and scummy blades were a source of some redness. Best wishes on your new role!

Thank you, I have thoroughly enjoyed each shave. I even got a straight shave at a nice barber that was incredible.

That is a good point I hadn't thought of. Like I mentioned above, I'll do some trial and error before the first of the year. I'm looking forward to the new job. It'll be a good change from what I'm doing now.

I would suggest if you have to use a cart get the Gillette guard razor. It's a single blade, gives good shaves and it is dirt cheap.
www.westcoastshaving.com/Gillette-Guard-Cartridge-Razor_p_1136.html

The Gillette Guard is a good option. It's not quite as good as a DE in terms of results, nor as pleasant to use, but it does a very decent job with little or no irritation, and at extremely low cost.

I can also recommend the Gillette Guard, i think for your needs it would be a good match. If you don't have a problem with multi blade razors causing you ingrown hairs, the old Gillette Trac II or the Wilkinson/ Schick Xtreme 3 Disposable razors would also be great choices and they are probably easier to get.

A generic 2 blade cartridge would seem to be your best option. I still have some generic Contour/Atra cartridges which seemed okay. 2 passes were a reasonable finish and the generic cartridges are still readily available. It comes down to experimenting at home with the best cartridge system that will work for you. Buying DE blades locally would seem hit & miss and posting blades to hotels is a bit tedious.

I almost hate to ask but could you use an electric for travel? That's what I do.

I've considered this. However, on the road, I feel like it's one thing I can enjoy and go through my whole routine. At home, with kids, finding time not to rush is hard. I guess I'm looking forward to that aspect. Thank you for the input.

Bic Metal gets lots of praise for a travel throw away. I used to use them way back, as they could go through a couple days growth without clogging. Called them the Roll Bar Razor.

Top Bottom