What's new

Airline pilot, best alternative shave for travel

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I don't travel much anymore, but when I do I send blades ahead (some are also stashed in places I will return to, maybe if you have certain repeat destinations you can arrange to have that hotel keep a tuck for you?). I tried a few carts (Feather MR3, the BIC & Sensor) and just didn't like the results. Most of the big box drugstores here carry some sort of DE blades, but they are never your brand and quite pricey, and if you can't take them on the outbound leg you use more postage sending the rest home. Is it a rule that the aircrew has to carry-on their luggage, taking up space that everyone else is forced by baggage fees to compete for?

Guess it depends how low you can stand to stoop to use a cart or an electric, if any of those are only mildly disagreeable for you the extra effort to address and stamp the envelopes may not be worth it. But for me, I'd gladly spend twice your $9 a month to have a good shave.

Same line of work as yours - 777, mainly international.

My company issues flight attendants and pilots with suitcases, but sometimes I take only a carry-on along if I don't feel like waiting upon return to base for my suitcase to arrive on the baggage carousel.

On European trips, when I don't want to check my suitcase with the straights, a disassembled three-piece safety razor works nicely (disassembled = never been asked to pull it out of my bag) and in Europe it is usually easy to find double-edge blades (beware of Sundays though where in some countries shops are still closed).

If in doubt, take one of the "Twin" or "Sensitive" Bics along, they give a resonable good shave, are dirt cheap, and you won't support Gillette price gouging.

B

I'm in the same biz (domestic, mostly). I keep things simple on the road - a Gillette Trac II. It works fine. If you want to try mailing some blades to your layover hotel, more than likely, you'll get re-routed and it'll all be moot! :001_cool:

But don't let a cart bum you out too much, I still take good stuff. I take one of my synth brushes most of the time, usually my Whipped Dog synth. And I'll take several soaps/samples/creams to have a nice selection from which to choose, as well as aftershaves.

I'm in the same biz (domestic, mostly). I keep things simple on the road - a Gillette Trac II. It works fine. If you want to try mailing some blades to your layover hotel, more than likely, you'll get re-routed and it'll all be moot! :001_cool:

But don't let a cart bum you out too much, I still take good stuff. I take one of my synth brushes most of the time, usually my Whipped Dog synth. And I'll take several soaps/samples/creams to have a nice selection from which to choose, as well as aftershaves.

Good info! Thanks!

Bic Metal gets lots of praise for a travel throw away. I used to use them way back, as they could go through a couple days growth without clogging.

Yes, the BIC metal was a great razor. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they were discontinued some years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazon still has them in 10 packs.

Wow, good to know. Looks like they are back on the BIC website too. Seems like about 4-5 years ago, everyone was saying they were discontinued. They had disappeared from stores and the website. Glad to see them back, although I still haven't seen them return to the stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only carry on and take the following: Gillette Sensor (not plus) two blade cartridge ; synthetic brush from LA Shaving Soap, Soap stick which I pack with whatever soap I have that is coming to the end of it's tub. Using beard mapping and the above, I get close to my typical DE shave. Not quite as good but close.

Gillette Guard +4
I have not come across a better razor for the first WTG pass.
It is designed to shave not too close, and to work under adverse conditions (inadequate lather, hard water, zero shave prep etc)
It will give a tug free shave everytime. Works fine even with bath soap.
Perfect Travel Razor.
Since you're shaving alternate days, you probably don't need a BBS with its attendant raw skin feel.
On days when I'm running late for work, instead of a DE , I use a Gillette Guard with Gillette or Nivea gel. Saves me a good 10 minutes.

proxy.php

Congratulations on your new position!

Since you know where you will be I would mail blades to the hotels, then carry on your razor, a shave stick and brush.

I travel a lot for work, and usually check a bag but when I don't: in my carry on kit, I have a Trac II literally anywhere has carts for them and they are inexpensive if I ran out, a small synthetic brush and either a soap stick or a small container of cream for easy lathering. The Trac II is a non-pivoting cart so it's similar experience to DE shaving.

Top Bottom