What's new

Air travel with straights.

Hey all,

Monday I'm heading out to Toronto and debating if I take a straight or two, or just bring something else like a safety.

I know Canadian TSA might be different, but do any of you travel regularly with a straight? If so have you ever had complications about it being in your checked baggage? Obviously I won't be bringing it in carry-on.

The other factor here is lost luggage. Not sure if I'm willing to risk that with a good razor, I do have some that are less dear to me but it would still suck none the less.

Any opinions?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
f you're staying in a hotel, I wouldn't carry my straight. It just might be too tempting (anywhere, not just Toronto). I'm heading to Cuba tomorrow and leaving my straight and 38C at home and going to revert to the Sensor Excel for a week. Alas, I only have a chrome handled silvertip brush so that's travelling with me, but I wish I had a cheaper brush for travelling as well.

I frequently travel with a straight within Canada and abroad. Never had an issue - just make sure its in your checked luggage and never take one that you couldn't stand to lose. :thumbup1:

I've flown numerous time with straights in checked baggage with no problems. I usually take two just in case something weird happens. I think you'd be tackled and handcuffed with them in a carry-on though.

I always take two and a strop. Not any high priced customs, but I'd hate to have to resort to a DE. Bring your straight in the checked luggage

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I never had any issue with Airlines or lost luggage when I put straights in my checked bags.
I did have a few incidents of hotel cleaning people moving it. I don't mean moving it while cleaning, I mean opening it and leaving it out still opened.
I presume out of curiosity.
I don't want them messing with my stuff, and I don't want to pack my Dopp kit back up every morning and unpack it every night.
I stopped using straights on the road and switched to DE's except when I am home.
You must do what you feel comfortable doing.

I do repack my dopp kit every day when staying at a hotel. I don't care if it is an expensive straight, a bargain DE, my shave brush, or my toothbrush...I do NOT want whomever just cleaned the toilet to then proceed to move and paw my stuff so they can clean the sink area, and run my shave brush across their face to experience the high mountain badger goodness.... The fuss of repacking a dopp kit daily is well worth the trouble in my mind.

Edit: BTW- I've made five round trips between Boston and Osaka this year, no issues with checked luggage straights.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I do repack my dopp kit every day when staying at a hotel. I don't care if it is an expensive straight, a bargain DE, my shave brush, or my toothbrush...I do NOT want whomever just cleaned the toilet to then proceed to move and paw my stuff so they can clean the sink area, and run my shave brush across their face to experience the high mountain badger goodness.... The fuss of repacking a dopp kit daily is well worth the trouble in my mind.

Edit: BTW- I've made five round trips between Boston and Osaka this year, no issues with checked luggage straights.

+1 I don't want any hotel staff testing my razor for sharpness. It all gets stowed away.

Thanks guys! Should make my decision easier, prob going to bring some less expensive straights on my trip.

I frequently travel with a straight within Canada and abroad. Never had an issue - just make sure its in your checked luggage and never take one that you couldn't stand to lose. :thumbup1:

What he said.

If you are worried about housekeeping messing with them, most rooms have a little safe. Lock them up.

Yep, checked is the way to go with a straight. I've never had a problem with any of my shave gear when its been in checked baggage. :thumbup1:

I never had any issue with Airlines or lost luggage when I put straights in my checked bags.
I did have a few incidents of hotel cleaning people moving it. I don't mean moving it while cleaning, I mean opening it and leaving it out still opened.
I presume out of curiosity.
I don't want them messing with my stuff, and I don't want to pack my Dopp kit back up every morning and unpack it every night.
I stopped using straights on the road and switched to DE's except when I am home.
You must do what you feel comfortable doing.

+1 I don't want any hotel staff testing my razor for sharpness. It all gets stowed away.

If I am in a hotel for 1-3 days, I hang the "do not disturb" sign on the door. I don't need my sheets and towels changed every day and I can make my own bed, when required.
I always leave a way to let me know if someone came into the room. If they do, I complain to management immediately.

If in a hotel for a longer or extended stay, I only let them into the room when needed.

Here is where you can look for advice.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

If I am in a hotel for 1-3 days, I hang the "do not disturb" sign on the door. I don't need my sheets and towels changed every day and I can make my own bed, when required.
I always leave a way to let me know if someone came into the room. If they do, I complain to management immediately.

If in a hotel for a longer or extended stay, I only let them into the room when needed.

Here is where you can look for advice.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm
Good strategy!

I like being pampered though, and coming back to a made up room with fresh towels is worth packing up the dopp kit for me.

Top Bottom