What's new

Ahhh! GEM Featherweight!

Yes. I can get the Feathers to work in the FW, Push Button, Heavy Flat Top and Contour without adding a spine.
Let me make a correction to this statement. I double checked these razors with a Feather and could NOT get it to stay in place in the Heavy Flat Top(G-Bar), but it did stay securely in place in the others. Sorry for the inaccurate statement.

Thanks! I'll try the rubber band idea tomorrow, O-rings are for a trip to the hardware store unless I have some of a suitable size in the shop.

I just bought a G-Bar tonight too, so either way, I'm good. Hey, I already have RAD, so what's another one? And it's a SE so I know I'll use it and love the thing. So much easier to shave with than a DE. But yes, I admit I use both.

They made stuff so good "back then". It boggles my mind that they could have gotten the handle so wrong for wet and possibly soapy fingers.

Heh, Heh, just a quick anecdote... My fellow blade shaving buddy came over for supper tonight with the wife and I, and to let our dogs play together (just simple applewood smoked/grilled burgers- fantastic as usual BTW) and in the discussion after dinner, naturally, shaving came up. So I mentioned the OCMM and the great shave, but the aggressiveness. I brought it and an AutoStrop out. This AS is one without any plate over the blade at all. No way he'd ever shave with either one was the verdict. I'm betting he can handle it, but he needs to be ready on his own. It's like having a child 4 years older than myself. :)

Let me make a correction to this statement. I double checked these razors with a Feather and could NOT get it to stay in place in the Heavy Flat Top(G-Bar), but it did stay securely in place in the others. Sorry for the inaccurate statement.

Understood. Thanks as always Tom.

P

Pjotr

......They made stuff so good "back then". It boggles my mind that they could have gotten the handle so wrong for wet and possibly soapy fingers.......

It took me by surprise too but it is a personal thing. I also for different reasons have problems with the Push Button handle which is big, square and has ridges everywhere. Out came the o-rings to solve that one too. It's mainly at the very top where I tend to put my first finger where there's no grip for nearly all of them. Aside from the trusty FW which is square at the top and which also neatly brings this thread back to where it started.

Last edited by a moderator:
But back to the OCMM... :)

I tried the rubber band modification this AM. Incredible how something so simple would make such a huge difference. It's a keeper now. Now to the hardware store for a more permanent o-ring solution.

I have a new-in-box Feather Weight which I've never used. I have to admit I'm put off by the plastic handle. One of the reasons I got into traditional shaving was to get away from plastic handles, plastic anything!

The MMOC has been the show-stopper for me. It's the SE I keep going back to. I'm surprised to hear that some people have a problem with the handle. To me it's one of the most comfortable and secure handles out there. But I'm glad there's an easy fix. I think a rubber band would detract from the sleek look of the razor, but the O-ring is a great idea. Whatever works for you.

Anyone wanting to use the o-rings on their OCMM...

At Home Depot I found the "Danco" O-ring rack, the short story is that the #83 1/2" OD x 5/16" ID is a perfect fit for the 2 circular grooves at the bottom of the handle. It was less than $3 for 10 O-rings.

You have the dimensions for other places and other brands. I don't mean to push those names I used.

P

Pjotr

I have a new-in-box Feather Weight which I've never used. I have to admit I'm put off by the plastic handle. One of the reasons I got into traditional shaving was to get away from plastic handles, plastic anything!..........

I understand what you're saying but it does make the razor really light, which give the name was surely the design objective, and allows a much bigger handle for easier grip. And I don't think it looks as trashy as most plastics.

I have a new-in-box Feather Weight which I've never used. I have to admit I'm put off by the plastic handle. One of the reasons I got into traditional shaving was to get away from plastic handles, plastic anything!.

Yeah, I hear you about the plastic. But it really is a nice shaver. I think of it as something like the "Tech" of the SE world. More aggressive than a Tech, but if one wants a really relaxing yet great SE shave, the Featherweight is the one. I'd suggest it in a heartbeat for an noob wanting to get into the SE world.

I understand what you're saying but it does make the razor really light, which give the name was surely the design objective, and allows a much bigger handle for easier grip. And I don't think it looks as trashy as most plastics.

Yeah, I hear you about the plastic. But it really is a nice shaver. I think of it as something like the "Tech" of the SE world. More aggressive than a Tech, but if one wants a really relaxing yet great SE shave, the Featherweight is the one. I'd suggest it in a heartbeat for an noob wanting to get into the SE world.

No, it doesn't look trashy, for sure. I'll probably shave with it, eventually. When I want a milder SE shave I usually reach for the G-Bar -- er, I mean Heavy Flat Top -- but that's a razor with heft. I imagine the FW feels a lot more ... feathery.

I had a FW and traded it a while back. Missed it enough that I picked up another on the 'bay. It'll arrive later this week.

I agree it's an awkward handle. Try o-rings, Brian K. Here's a pic of my Clog Pruf, which has an identical handle to the OC, and my Flying Wing with o-rings. Makes a big difference to the slippage issue.

As you can tell by the tell tale sign of no o-rings on my OCMM handle that it's not getting used. By the way I stole that idea from somebody here. Same thing, same razor from memory.

Wow. I really like the black and chrome looks of that bullet tip with the O rings.

Speaking of Featherweights...I've been using a gold-plated Gem Featherweight for the past couple of weeks (I alternate days between SEs and DEs) and have really enjoyed the performance of this razor. I've found it much more comfortable than an OCMM and comparable to my Baton-handled Gem Junior (1912 head). The size and shape of the handle is very comfortable in my hand. I just wish it wasn't that tacky white plastic. :001_tongu

Top Bottom