What's new

Ahhh! GEM Featherweight!

I've been all caught up in noob blade testing, AD and testing of soaps, razors, brushes and what not, and I've lost my roots.

My first razor this "go round" with blade shaving (began 6 months ago) was with a GEM Featherweight. The blade testing actually worked to my advantage this time. I got some Ted Pella 121-3 (?- from memory) blades in and I had to test them. First, into the Featherweight today. What a nice shave! I had been dallying awhile with the Autostrops and OCMM. OK, so I was seduced away from the FW, but I'm back and all appears forgiven on it's part. I REALLY love the Featherweight, yup, and these blades in it. Not to detract from the carbon steel blades available from CVS and Rite-Aid; they're fine too if kept (mineral) oiled. Of course I only have the one shave on the Ted Pella blade. Tomorrow might be crap. Nah, I doubt it. I might be seduced by the other SE razors again, but I'll return to my real love and I have no doubt she'll take me back again.

BrianK,

Glad you liked your Featherweight :smile:

Once you get bitten by the SE bug, you've got it for life ; resistance is futile !!

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

I've come to appreciate the Featherweight also, Brian. It's nice to keep one's skills sharp with the rapier, rather than always pulling out the broadsword (MMOC).

I've come to appreciate the Featherweight also, Brian. It's nice to keep one's skills sharp with the rapier, rather than always pulling out the broadsword (MMOC).

Interesting way to say it. Accurate IMO.

I pulled out the broadsword today, the OCMM, and put the same blade into it. Another nice shave, but it's a broadsword. I'm not a huge fan of the handle either. IMO, it requires too much finger tension otherwise it slips.

Have you tried the Heavy Flat Top (aka G-bar)? Similar to same head but the extra heft feels more balanced to me.

(Actually, I don't have any balance issues with the FW, but the 'shiny metalness' of the HFT makes me happier.)

While I much prefer the early Gems up to, and including the Clog pruf, over the later models starting with the Flying Wing I do have a soft spot for the Feather Weight. They were the current production razor in 1956 so they're about the closest to a birth year Gem I can get. Here's the three I currently have. From L-R is the standard chrome, one with a grey handle and finally the gold plated model. What's interesting is that each one of these has a different guard bar, the standard has parallel grooves, the grey handled one is smooth and the gold model is similar to the Clog pruf only with much smaller vertical grooved "teeth".

proxy.php

While I much prefer the early Gems up to, and including the Clog pruf, over the later models starting with the Flying Wing I do have a soft spot for the Feather Weight. They were the current production razor in 1956 so they're about the closest to a birth year Gem I can get. Here's the three I currently have. From L-R is the standard chrome, one with a grey handle and finally the gold plated model. What's interesting is that each one of these has a different guard bar, the standard has parallel grooves, the grey handled one is smooth and the gold model is similar to the Clog pruf only with much smaller vertical grooved "teeth".

proxy.php

Are those the ones that will accept the Feather SE blades without any messing and adding spines to them?

P

Pjotr

.....What's interesting is that each one of these has a different guard bar, the standard has parallel grooves, the grey handled one is smooth and the gold model is similar to the Clog pruf only with much smaller vertical grooved "teeth".

I used to think that the number of SE models was limited. I'm now beginning to think that the varieties of SEs challenges Gillettes for numbers produced.

I'm now beginning to think that the varieties of SEs challenges Gillettes for numbers produced.

What's more interesting is that SEs were apparently the working man's razor vs. Gillettes which were initially marketed as luxury items (hence names like Senator, Diplomat and, of course, Aristocrat)--all this according to some article posted in the general forum awhile back.

It's nice to know that sometimes money doesn't buy quality.

(OP: sorry for the threadjack. Back to the FW.)

Have you tried the Heavy Flat Top (aka G-bar)? Similar to same head but the extra heft feels more balanced to me.

(Actually, I don't have any balance issues with the FW, but the 'shiny metalness' of the HFT makes me happier.)

Proxy', if that was meant for me, no I haven't. If they had only put some sort of grooving around the handle to prevent slipping it would take care of my issue with the OCMM.

I'll keep my eyes open for a G-Bar. Thanks.

P

Pjotr

Are those the ones that will accept the Feather SE blades without any messing and adding spines to them?

I believe they are but I've never tried or even considered it to be honest. The standard GEM SS PTFE coated blade I think delivers at least two shaves that rival that of a Feather DE blade in terms of sharpness and after that I get another four or five out of it before it becomes a bit too much work for a good result (some here have used one for sixteen!). From what I've heard the Feather SE is like it's DE cousin; good for a couple, possibly three shaves and then it's spent. Not exactly cheap either. For me maybe worth an experimental shave just to see what the fuss is about. By the way if an FW head can take a Feather SE blade then in theory so should the Heavy Flat Top, the Contours/Push Buttons and possibly the Flying Wing Micromatic too.

I used to think that the number of SE models was limited. I'm now beginning to think that the varieties of SEs challenges Gillettes for numbers produced.
Yeah, there's lots of variations even on the same models.
Proxy', if that was meant for me, no I haven't. If they had only put some sort of grooving around the handle to prevent slipping it would take care of my issue with the OCMM.

I'll keep my eyes open for a G-Bar. Thanks.

Wrapping a rubber band around the handle will eliminate the slipping.

Yes. I can get the Feathers to work in the FW, Push Button, Heavy Flat Top and Contour without adding a spine.

Wow, Tom. Did not realize there were three models of the FW. I only have the one on the left and I have two of those. They were the first SE razors I got on eBay other than a Gbar that was defective. The FW and Gbars are great razors.

By the way if an FW head can take a Feather SE blade then in theory so should the Heavy Flat Top, the Contours/Push Buttons and possibly the Flying Wing Micromatic too.
The Feathers will not work in the Micromatics because the blades don't have the cutouts on the sides that the locking tabs on the MM head go into when it's closed.

P

Pjotr

.........If they had only put some sort of grooving around the handle to prevent slipping it would take care of my issue with the OCMM.........

I agree it's an awkward handle. Try o-rings, Brian K. Here's a pic of my Clog Pruf, which has an identical handle to the OC, and my Flying Wing with o-rings. Makes a big difference to the slippage issue.

As you can tell by the tell tale sign of no o-rings on my OCMM handle that it's not getting used. By the way I stole that idea from somebody here. Same thing, same razor from memory.

Attachments

• $_MG_8679.jpg
    $_MG_8679.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 133
P

Pjotr

The Feathers will not work in the Micromatics because the blades don't have the cutouts on the sides that the locking tabs on the MM head go into when it's closed.

Of course! Could have almost thought of that myself.

Top Bottom