What's new

Advice to fuel the addiction

Sooo.....

I now know that the addiction has sunk in, and I'm so happy!:thumbup:

Anyways, right now I've got my C&E best badger brush and the Tweezerman (probably will use for travel), and I'm eying a Edwin Jagger best badger (maybe bigger than the C&E), but first, I kind of want another razor....

I've got my Merkur HD right now and am loving it, but I'm wondering what would be another good razor to get next? Should I look for a slant, or something different? Any suggestions welcome.

I thank you all for helping my addiction :biggrin:

I've got five razors at present and two more in the post/mail. Something tells me that I should really get the basics down and become proficient with just one razor as this will lead to better technique (which I'm almost doing, my Futur has gone back into its box and I'm sticking with the HD... although every time a new razor arrives it has to be road tested).

Unfortunately, I keep flipping through eBay and thinking "I'd like to try that..."

It's a sickness that I've almost got under control. Almost

I've got five razors at present and two more in the post/mail. Something tells me that I should really get the basics down and become proficient with just one razor as this will lead to better technique (which I'm almost doing, my Futur has gone back into its box and I'm sticking with the HD... although every time a new razor arrives it has to be road tested).

Unfortunately, I keep flipping through eBay and thinking "I'd like to try that..."

It's a sickness that I've almost got under control. Almost

I feel you. I've managed to stay the impulse, but my will is weakening and.... okay... I'm looking at ebay right now. I'm tempted by a SS and a futur... oh sigh, why oh why.

Erm... would a SS and a Furtur be good purchases for a newbie? hehehe:clap: :shifty: :dots:

I'm glad SWMBO doesn't know about the addiction yet.

I feel you. I've managed to stay the impulse, but my will is weakening and.... okay... I'm looking at ebay right now. I'm tempted by a SS and a futur... oh sigh, why oh why.

Erm... would a SS and a Furtur be good purchases for a newbie? hehehe:clap: :shifty: :dots:

I'm glad SWMBO doesn't know about the addiction yet.

A SS is a great razor for a newbie. It's a mild razor. The Futur is OK, just start out with a low adjustment.

As far as the AD. Hold on!. It gets worse. :drool: There's SSAD, SCAD, SBAD, and probably others I haven't been intruduced to yet. Take a look at my cabinet and you can see how bad it can get. I had NOTHING in April but three colognes, a Gillette Atra, and a can of Edge. :lol: :lol:

The SS was too mild for me. I really like the Futur, but as stated above, start at 1.0 and advance only as you must to get a good shave. I stuck with 1.5 for a long time, though now I'm using it at 2.0.

If your technique is good and you've found the blade(s) that work best for you, the Slant makes sense: it does give a different shave, and is an interesting razor. You can probably find one in the selling/trading forum.

Might I suggest an adjustable? Modern or vintage. I love my Progress, but it is hit or miss among the members.
Stop by a local antique store or flea market and you will be very surprised!

This past weekend I picked up a Gillette New and a Slim adjustable for $8!!!!!!

Cheap is always good when AD starts in!

There is only one correct answer to this question. Buy every last razor you can get your hands on! Vintage or new, it doesn't matter. Resistance is useless! RAD will not be denied. It is a silly obsession, but obsession it is.

When I tell people that I collect old safety razors... "they all moved away from me on the group W bench." (Sorry, obscure reference to Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant).

You know what you've got to do. You will go to antique stores, flea markets and surf eBay like a zombie in heat. Then, when you score a 70 year old Aristocrat or Tech or whatever, suddenly, that which would have been a piece of crap only a few months ago, has become pure gold. You will clean it. You will sanitize it. You will polish it. You will shave with it, and even if it gives you the worst shave of your life, you will feel the joy that only a new razor can bring.

Then, as you are basking in your new found joy, you hear it. It starts in low, then it begins to grow. And all the Who's down in Whoville will know that there are other razors out there. Poor, homeless little "T" shaped bundles of joy that are lost. They need you. How could you possibly turn your back on them! You will stop at nothing to give them all a nice, warm, loving home. "Come to me my children!" "Come home and be mine!!"

<cough, cough> Sorry. Got a bit carried away there. Have you considered growing a beard? :biggrin:

There is only one correct answer to this question. Buy every last razor you can get your hands on! Vintage or new, it doesn't matter. Resistance is useless! RAD will not be denied. It is a silly obsession, but obsession it is.

When I tell people that I collect old safety razors... "they all moved away from me on the group W bench." (Sorry, obscure reference to Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant).

You know what you've got to do. You will go to antique stores, flea markets and surf eBay like a zombie in heat. Then, when you score a 70 year old Aristocrat or Tech or whatever, suddenly, that which would have been a piece of crap only a few months ago, has become pure gold. You will clean it. You will sanitize it. You will polish it. You will shave with it, and even if it gives you the worst shave of your life, you will feel the joy that only a new razor can bring.

Then, as you are basking in your new found joy, you hear it. It starts in low, then it begins to grow. And all the Who's down in Whoville will know that there are other razors out there. Poor, homeless little "T" shaped bundles of joy that are lost. They need you. How could you possibly turn your back on them! You will stop at nothing to give them all a nice, warm, loving home. "Come to me my children!" "Come home and be mine!!"

<cough, cough> Sorry. Got a bit carried away there. Have you considered growing a beard? :biggrin:

Ok, my boss just stuck his head in the door to see what I was laughing so hard about.

So, i'm thinking..... Merkur Futur or Gillette Adjustable (fatboy or other) first and second.... followed by a Slant or a Progress.... Oh my.... darn RAD

Got to tell you, I completely understand the soap/cream/cologne addiction, because they all have different scents. But razors? I bought 3, which I read were the most gentle: a blue-tipped SS, a Weishi, and a Tech. All 3 shaved the same, the Tech felt better balanced and the thinner head is easier to navigate. I suspect I'll be using it as long as I'm capable of shaving myself.

Top Bottom