What's new

Advice needed. Do soaps matter?

I would say ultimately no. If a soap didn’t do it’s job, then it wouldn’t be on the market.
However, not all soap is as easy to lather, is the same, so there may be minor tricks you need to learn for each of them.
I got some suggestions: lather for 5 minutes and use more water.
You know some more tricks?

It's a stinky one for some, but the original Tabac puck is really hard to beat. Arko is great, GREAT! but dries out some folks, especially in Winter.

Just my two cents, and probably werth both pennies my friend!
Another one for my list. I sprayed a little Tabac AS on my wrist in a shop, the smell is okay.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I ordered some Stirling soaps and am still in my exploration stage.
Have some Dutch soaps, haven't used them yet.
Same goes for two Haslinger soaps.

Your comment sounds logical to me, but not everybody seems to agree.
I will give the Razorock a third chance, though.

I have found that...if I'm using a soap that is just ok on the slickness and protection spectrum...I put a little slickening agent in it to up it a notch. For me, that's either OPR or Cremo which I use for pre-shave.

I have found that...if I'm using a soap that is just ok on the slickness and protection spectrum...I put a little slickening agent in it to up it a notch. For me, that's either OPR or Cremo which I use for pre-shave.
adding olive oil??

My tutors on this forum suggested I use the same razor and blade for 4 weeks to focus on my technique and develop from there. I've been doing this for over a week and it works out great.
However: I decided to work on my lathering technique with a soap that I didn't like earlier. This soap, was praised by some on the forum. Since I now use a bowl for lathering, I decided to give this soap (Razorock xXx) another chance. It lathered much better in the bowl, so I thought I would use it instead of my usual and excellent soap, the Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite.
And although the shaving result was good, my standard Muehle R41 and Gillette Platinum felt raw. Not gliding, but rasping. I had zero nick, nor irritation, but did not enjoy the shave as I usually do.
I am a bit confused now: does soap matter this much?
Your opinion is appreciated.
Of course soap does matter that much. Sometimes it can ruin your shave. They told you right to stay for a long time with one razor and blade, but that applies to the soap as well.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Of course soap does matter that much. Sometimes it can ruin your shave. They told you right to stay for a long time with one razor and blade, but that applies to the soap as well.
Unless that soap is garbage, of course. Drop it as soon as possible if it's garbage. Better canned foam than a soap that bothers your skin.

Yes, my name IS Mr Obvious. Why do you ask?!?

Unless that soap is garbage, of course. Drop it as soon as possible if it's garbage. Better canned foam than a soap that bothers your skin.

Yes, my name IS Mr Obvious. Why do you ask?!?
Some creams just leave me with a burning for many hours. Denim comes to mind. Tried to use it 7-8 years ago. Then 2 years ago bought it again. Same burning.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Lather matters. The quality of your lather depend on the product, your water chemistry, your brush, and your method/technique.

So yes, soap matters, but it is only one factor in getting a good lather.

Now, as to what actually makes a "good" lather, that's where it gets subjective. Some want "cushioning", but I absolutely DO NOT! It ruins my shaves. I prefer thin and wet, with slickness behind the primary goal.

Tweak, adjust, experiment. With time, you'll find you can get a decent lather with most soaps.

Both soaps should work very capable.
It takes some trying before you have the right ratio water soap though and even then some razors/blade combos somehow never match that soap.

Lather matters. The quality of your lather depend on the product, your water chemistry, your brush, and your method/technique.

So yes, soap matters, but it is only one factor in getting a good lather.

Now, as to what actually makes a "good" lather, that's where it gets subjective. Some want "cushioning", but I absolutely DO NOT! It ruins my shaves. I prefer thin and wet, with slickness behind the primary goal.

Tweak, adjust, experiment. With time, you'll find you can get a decent lather with most soaps.
The water is very hard in my city. Does that influence (some) soaps?

Top Bottom