What's new

Adjustable Razors:The Very Best Way to Get a Close, Comfortable Shave

Have you tried at least five shaves with an adjustable razor, increasing the aggression with each pa

• Total voters
I believe the adjustable razor is the best tool ever engineered for shaving.

I believe in finding a compromise setting that addresses both one's skin and whiskers. And I leave it on that setting. Fiddling around on different settings for different passes doesn't pay off for me. Settings for me would be a 5 on a Gillette Fat Boy and a 6 on a Gillette Slim and Super Adjustable. It would be a 1.5 on a Merkur Futur and an "O" on the imprecise Merkur Vision 2000 dial. It would be a 2.5 on the Apollo Mikron.

For the SE days it would be a 4 on a Pal adjustable razor, and a 6 on the Schick Injector adjustable razor.

I am 80 years old and have the usual tough whiskers and the usual thin skin of older men.

My "one razor for the rest of my life on a deserted island" would be any adjustable razor above on the listed settings for all three passes.
Have you ever tried increasing the aggression with each pass?

Tried it today for the first time. Started at 2 and went to 3 and then 3.5. Pretty nice. Really enjoyed the first pass at a lower setting. I usually set it to 3-3.5 for all passes. I shave every day so comfort is a priority. No mowing down several days of growth here.
Yes, keep experimenting with the setting and level of progression, and when you groove it in, I believe you'll like the results.

Tried it today for the first time. Started at 2 and went to 3 and then 3.5. Pretty nice. Really enjoyed the first pass at a lower setting. I usually set it to 3-3.5 for all passes. I shave every day so comfort is a priority. No mowing down several days of growth here.
Also, I think you are wise to start at a milder setting than normal. I think this is what partly contributes to greater comfort, especially if you shave daily.

Ok...I have always dialed down as I go from pass to pass. I tried this way for grins.

1965 K1 slim, refurbed by Delta Echo...beautiful! Fresh PermaSharp and setting 5 for first pass.

Setting 7 for second XTG pass.

Setting 9 for ATG last pass.

Nicked myself but I feel it was my technique. All-in-all great shave! I will try again..

Ok...I have always dialed down as I go from pass to pass. I tried this way for grins.

1965 K1 slim, refurbed by Delta Echo...beautiful! Fresh PermaSharp and setting 5 for first pass.

Setting 7 for second XTG pass.

Setting 9 for ATG last pass.

Nicked myself but I feel it was my technique. All-in-all great shave! I will try again..
Thanks for your willingness to experiment. Perhaps you could try starting off at an even milder setting and see how that compares? Keep us posted as you experiment with finding the sweet spot.

So today, I did the same thing with 2 days growth:

First pass WTG on 5
Second pass XTG on 7
Third lass and cleanups ATG on 9​

Much better results, no weepers, BBS. I attribute this to better technique and a nice tallow soap with good cushion and slickness.

I change razors like underwear...when I stick with one for several shaves, technique improves.

I like this method!

Thanks for your willingness to experiment. Perhaps you could try starting off at an even milder setting and see how that compares? Keep us posted as you experiment with finding the sweet spot.

So today, I did the same thing with 2 days growth:

First pass WTG on 5
Second pass XTG on 7
Third lass and cleanups ATG on 9​

Much better results, no weepers, BBS. I attribute this to better technique and a nice tallow soap with good cushion and slickness.

I change razors like underwear...when I stick with one for several shaves, technique improves.

I like this method!
Very good! Keep experimenting!

For me it's the other way around but you have to use a feather blade they work best the reason why it works for me because I concentrate more on pressure as I lower the number another reason is I'll start to bleed before I get that whisker BBS in certain places
This is probably due to your technique. You shouldn't need pressure, and your shouldn't be bleeding to get a BBS. Lighten up your pressure man!

I typically use my Slim set on 5 - occasionally I will bump it up to 6 - sometimes to begin with, sometimes on a second pass. (I only do two plus any necessary touch up, which isn't much)

Suffice to say the Mingshi 2000S changed my whole outlook on Adjustables, so much so I sold my old Adjustables - a 1980s Wizamet W-11 and a 1990s Ideal on eBay because the 2000S ran rings around them performance wise.
I've still got my Micro Touch One, Weishi 9306CEL, Windrose D-9, Windrose SP-4 and Rapira 3-Piece, but so far I don't want to use any of them - I prefer the 2000S.
Maybe when I've worked my way through the 20+ different blades in my rotation I'll go back to alternating between razors, but on the other hand, maybe I'll stick with the 2000S

Using the "dial up" method has changed my whole outlook on shaving, BBS is still my holy grail of shaving, but my shaves have improved dramatically.

Before, I used to go WTG & ATG followed by buffing S-N for a quick shave
If I was going out, I used to go WTG, XTG, ATG followed by buffing S-N & N-S, rarely a BBS, but still very smooth

Now I go WTG on #4 & ATG on #5 for a quick shave
WTG on #4, XTG on #5 & ATG on #6 just under the jawline and on my neck for a more thorough shave

If I'm going out, I go WTG on #4, XTG on #4.5, ATG on #5 & ATG on #6 just under the jawline and neck for the closest thing I can get to BBS

I get occasional weepers, but nowhere near as many as I used to with any of my other razors

I’ve only tried two adjustables, the Slim and the Parker Variant. On my first pass with the Slim, I set it at 5. On the second pass, and thereafter, I set it at 9. Still couldn’t get a close shave. Still can’t.

When I got the Variant a few weeks ago, I set it at 5, and it worked. I then went to 5+, and then 6. Since 5 is the max, I essentially dialed it up to 11 (for you Spinal Tap fans). The Variant works at 5+ and up. I’ll never use it at less than 5.

Top Bottom