What's new

Adjustable Razors:The Very Best Way to Get a Close, Comfortable Shave

Have you tried at least five shaves with an adjustable razor, increasing the aggression with each pa

• Total voters
I think you are right in a way about this, I think that a bigger gap makes it easier ti get the ATG pass. I will test to stay at the same setting and do the same. But when shaving my head it's nice to not have to have perfect technique. Hard enough to shave by feel :)

But I am in no way an expert. This is just my opinion, but less passes is less irritation for me. So maybe when I am a more experienced wetshaver I can add more of an input.[/QUOT
Whatever the theory my questions are merely these? Have you tried it (I think you have, right?)? Does is produce a close and irritation free shave? Do you like it more than your current method? If so, why? If not, why? So if you try it and report, your're as much of an expert in that sense than any of us.

Well...I've had an interesting, not to mention somewhat pricey relationship with adjustables over the last dozen years, starting at the high end with a Merkur Vision, downshifting a bit to a Futur (used, Hoffritz-branded), then moving to an early-70s Gillette Super Adjustable - which, save for a few kinks on account of its age, has been the more consistently pleasing-to-use of the bunch. There've been a few non-adjustables in the bunch too (specifically, a pair of Aristocrats - an American '47 and a British '53), and, given the right blade, the older 'crat has seen the most use over the last four years.

But, as of this week, the pecking order has been upended rather badly, thanks to the acquisition of Parker's Variant, which I now regard as something of a disruptive "sleeper" among new razors at the moment. I find the thing so easy to handle, with less of a (re-)learning curve than anticipated, that it's pretty much taken its place as my new overall "go-to" - something no adjustable razor has done so far with me. I wasn't at all sure how this was going to go...between the rave reviews I'd been reading online and the fact that it comes in at under sixty bucks convinced me it was worth taking a chance on. Now it may be all I bother shaving with.

Sooo...you can put me firmly in the "adjustables rock " column.

Last edited:
Interesting thread here.... fascinating read. Amusing.
But, I too am a dissenter on this, I back up Kingfishers argument. Seriously.
No adjusting of the head during the shave will give you a "better" shave, though I've found when I'm taking off a weeks stubble or so, for me the higher setting works better. Or a lower if I choose to.

But I do admire your creativity and imagination NDM63...seriously. Good energy with this thread! Awesome!
I always shave with adjustables usually turned up high and don't play around with the setting, as there is no need to.
Good technique by a seasoned wet shaver will ensure that this is not necessary as adjusting the angles manually is all that it takes. For newer shavers perhaps with lesser experience I can see this method helping them somewhat until they develop better technique.... understandably. That is a bonus of the adjustables.
That's what counts, as we all like to get a close comfortable irritation free shave.

All the best.

I have a Birth year Slim and had never adjusted from the 4 setting as that is where I liked the shave from it. I tried "your" turn it up on consecutive passes method today, and feel I may have gotten a less irritation shave than usual. This razor is wonderful no matter the method, and always BBS.

Interesting thread here.... fascinating read. Amusing.
But, I too am a dissenter on this, I back up Kingfishers argument. Seriously.
No adjusting of the head during the shave will give you a "better" shave, though I've found when I'm taking off a weeks stubble or so, for me the higher setting works better. Or a lower if I choose to.

But I do admire your creativity and imagination NDM63...seriously. Good energy with this thread! Awesome!
I always shave with adjustables usually turned up high and don't play around with the setting, as there is no need to.
Good technique by a seasoned wet shaver will ensure that this is not necessary as adjusting the angles manually is all that it takes. For newer shavers perhaps with lesser experience I can see this method helping them somewhat until they develop better technique.... understandably. That is a bonus of the adjustables.
That's what counts, as we all like to get a close comfortable irritation free shave.

All the best.
Thanks man! But why not give the method a try? I was surprised when I did and other have been too.

I have a Birth year Slim and had never adjusted from the 4 setting as that is where I liked the shave from it. I tried "your" turn it up on consecutive passes method today, and feel I may have gotten a less irritation shave than usual. This razor is wonderful no matter the method, and always BBS.
Excellent. Keep experimenting, and tell us what you find!

Okay, I'll take up the offer NDM63... no problem with that.
I suspect that it may turn out to be a quicker shave than I normally get.
I gotta wait a couple of days for a decent stubble to reappear, but then will do it.
The Progress razor with a fresh Med Prep blade will be my gear.
Interesting project!

I think I've had 2-3 shaves increasing the aggression on the Ming Shi/QShave and one on a Gillette Slim clone and they don't seem any better/different than fixed setting ones or downward adjustments. Maybe I just need to start higher and aim to be done in two passes as usual, though, and use something like 3-6 or 4-6.
I might try it with shims and/or an o-ring too. I suspect it might work a bit better for me that way, keeping the blade more rigid throughout (with the right choice of head).

I've always found adjustable razors to be a gimmick. (let the flames begin)

How so? No flaming here, just curious of your thought process. The raising/lowering during the shave has it's detractors, but in general I find my Fatboy to be useful as I don't always want an aggressive shave or always want a mild shave. If I were so inclined, it would be useful to have just one razor that covers many bases, in my way of thinking.

Adding to Dave's response: One nice thing about an adjustable is that, at least in my experience, a particular blade that I might have regarded as subpar (or worse) in my non-adjustable often works considerably better in one of my adjustables; this has come in handy when I've run out of my go-to blades and can't get hold of more of them...yes, it's happened more than once. The ability to make an otherwise fair-to-middling blade shave pretty well by dialing things in a bit differently, IMO, is not to be underestimated. (and, yes, I'm the sort to lock into a 100-pack or two, of any blade I find works really well for me.)

Used my Super Adjustable on 5 consecutive shaves by increasing the setting by 1 on each pass. The 6th shave I used it on a 6 each pass. The only difference I noticed was some irritation from setting it at a7 then 8 for the last two passes. Never noticed any closer of a shave.

I gave the "progressively aggressive" approach a try today: my usual in/post-shower prep, Parker Variant w/once-used Astra Stainless blade, Classic Rose shaving soap, Variant set at 2.5 WTG, 3 for ATG/XTG. (Note: this was two days after my previous shave.) Verdict: possibly the very slightest difference from my usual routine, i.e. inconclusive. As with many another shaving subroutine, it likely works well for some, not so much for others.

Tried it today for the first time. Started at 2 and went to 3 and then 3.5. Pretty nice. Really enjoyed the first pass at a lower setting. I usually set it to 3-3.5 for all passes. I shave every day so comfort is a priority. No mowing down several days of growth here.

I believe the adjustable razor is the best tool ever engineered for shaving.

I believe in finding a compromise setting that addresses both one's skin and whiskers. And I leave it on that setting. Fiddling around on different settings for different passes doesn't pay off for me. Settings for me would be a 5 on a Gillette Fat Boy and a 6 on a Gillette Slim and Super Adjustable. It would be a 1.5 on a Merkur Futur and an "O" on the imprecise Merkur Vision 2000 dial. It would be a 2.5 on the Apollo Mikron.

For the SE days it would be a 4 on a Pal adjustable razor, and a 6 on the Schick Injector adjustable razor.

I am 80 years old and have the usual tough whiskers and the usual thin skin of older men.

My "one razor for the rest of my life on a deserted island" would be any adjustable razor above on the listed settings for all three passes.

Okay, I'll take up the offer NDM63... no problem with that.
I suspect that it may turn out to be a quicker shave than I normally get.
I gotta wait a couple of days for a decent stubble to reappear, but then will do it.
The Progress razor with a fresh Med Prep blade will be my gear.
Interesting project!
Thanks man, I look forward to hearing about what happened!

I think I've had 2-3 shaves increasing the aggression on the Ming Shi/QShave and one on a Gillette Slim clone and they don't seem any better/different than fixed setting ones or downward adjustments. Maybe I just need to start higher and aim to be done in two passes as usual, though, and use something like 3-6 or 4-6.
I might try it with shims and/or an o-ring too. I suspect it might work a bit better for me that way, keeping the blade more rigid throughout (with the right choice of head).
Rather than shims, just keep experimenting a little with the settings. Also, can you tell us what seetings you're using for each pass? Thanks!

Used my Super Adjustable on 5 consecutive shaves by increasing the setting by 1 on each pass. The 6th shave I used it on a 6 each pass. The only difference I noticed was some irritation from setting it at a7 then 8 for the last two passes. Never noticed any closer of a shave.
Thanks for trying. Can you describe the settings you used for each pass? Thanks!

I gave the "progressively aggressive" approach a try today: my usual in/post-shower prep, Parker Variant w/once-used Astra Stainless blade, Classic Rose shaving soap, Variant set at 2.5 WTG, 3 for ATG/XTG. (Note: this was two days after my previous shave.) Verdict: possibly the very slightest difference from my usual routine, i.e. inconclusive. As with many another shaving subroutine, it likely works well for some, not so much for others.
Try this: 2 WTG, 3 XTG, 4ATG. 4.5 for buffing if you need to buff. You have to experiment a little with the settings to get it just right, (yes, it can be frustrating at first) but for the results, it's are worth persevering . Let us know what you find. Happy shaving!

Top Bottom