What's new

Acquisitions 29th March - 4th April

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, you were in a hurry when you took those pictures? You didn't get caught didn't you?

:lol: Not my pictures. They are from the eBay listing. I always check out fuzzy pictures in eBay listings carefully because you never know what they might be hiding and hopefully most other people will just skip passed them.

Snagged another 7/8 Henckels Friodur off the 'Bay.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not too crazy about the scales so I plan to send it to Glen at Gem Star Custom for new clothes and a honing. I'm thinking something like translucent smoke or translucent blood red. :thumbup1:

Are these blades still available? It seems this razor was made for a specific task, or just outlandish designed to stand out, from a time when DE razors were in fierce competition?
Maybe it just seems especially wide and narrow because of the short handle...would love to know how it shaves!

Ferdinand

I certainly don't really need anymore shaving cream but as my scent preferences change with the seasons it now time to try a few different ones so I got a tub each of TOBS Sandalwood and St James.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Great score indeed. I love the design of these ss razors, no frills handle, sort of old school, but one piece design. Real functional, sturdy design. Gotta have me 1 of those....RAD kickin in big time again....:tongue_sm

Hoping to score on Queens Day here in the Netherlands, Amsterdam is one big open market square where everyone is permitted to sell their junk on the streets, once a year on the Queen's birthday (april 30th)...keeping my RAD under the lid until then!:biggrin1:

Ferdinand

The Tiffany razor arrived in the post today. I've given it a gentle polish and it has come up magnificently. I'm just sorry that my very poor camera skills aren't good enough to get a decent photo of the razor. Perhaps I'll have another go tomorrow in the daylight.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'm amazed by the quality of things like the hinges on the box. I think that I'm a very lucky person to be the custodian of this little beauty for hopefully many years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200455371065&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Well, my max bid was ~twice what I got it for.
I figured it would be from the late 50's early 60's and comparable to the other vintage Williams I'd used.

It arrives and the pucks are nice and crystalized and stamped GlastonBury... so pre 1957.

I fold the wrapper back and find an advertisement for the NEW! ICE BLUE AQUA VELVA!

which was introduced in 1929. (edit: make that 1935, launched as a Mouthwash in '29, an aftershave in '35)

I bought this soap planning to keep a puck for myself and distribute the rest. After my first use, this soap will have to be pried from my cold dead hands.

proxy.php

proxy.php

As you can see the wrapper stuck to the first puck in the roll, otherwise the soaps are NOS condition.

Last edited:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200455371065&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I figured it would be from the late 50's early 60's and comparable to the other vintage Williams I'd used.

It arrives and the pucks are nice and crystalized and stamped GlastonBury... so pre 1957.

I fold the wrapper back and find an advertisement for the NEW! ICE BLUE AQUA VELVA!

which was introduced in 1929. (edit: make that 1935, launched as a Mouthwash in '29, an aftershave in '35)

I bought this soap planning to keep a puck for myself and distribute the rest. After my first use, this soap will have to be pried from my cold dead hands.

proxy.php

proxy.php

As you can see the wrapper stuck to the first puck in the roll, otherwise the soaps are NOS condition.

Ice Blue Aqua Velva was introduced sometime after 1950. Prior to that Aqua Velva was yellow. Your soap is probably early 50's.

Congratulations on a very nice score.

- Peter

Ahh that makes more sense given the packaging... good news too... means I just have to hoard all the Glastonbury Williams I can find, rather than trying to find pre-WWII era stuff. Thanks for the info.

I hate you. :lol:

I was the other bidder on this, and was willing to go to about $30. I think as a consolidation you should sell me a puck of this sure to be wonderful soap. :thumbup1:

Actually, because of you, I was able to save all of the money in my Paypal account, and instead buy a vintage Boker King Cutter 5/8 round point. So it all worked out pretty good, but you should still sell me a puck anyway!!

Last edited:
Beautiful. Is it a ladies' razor? The name doesn't make me ask (aware of Tiffany Company), but the slim handle makes me wonder.

Here are the fruits of my recent binge. It's actually three weeks of AD, since I was away in Italy for the past two weeks. Therefore, whatever I didn't purchase there, was received in the past three days.
Obviously, there is lots of stuff, I had to take the pic in a hurry (before it starts raining), so I apologize that things look small.

Starting from the top left, Acqua Distillata Alle Rose, by Roberts. At 3 Euros each at a Roman supermarket, I couldn't resist buying two, especially since AOS charges $22/bottle.

Next, Czech and Speake 88. Love the scent. SWMBO loves it too. Also purchased in Rome.

Proraso Soap, and Pre-Dopo Barba. The first at 1.69 Euros, and the second at 3 Euros. Love those italian supermarkets:biggrin1:!

Thuringian stone bought at BST.
Nakayama with slurry stone bought at BST.
Below them, a TM strop from BST.

Now the razors:

At the top: Genco Red Cross 5/8 FH.
Dovo Inox 5/8 FH (purchased in Rome).
W&B 7/8 wedge.
K*R Best silver steel, 1/4 hollow w/ barber's notch.
Torrey 6/8 FH.
Kanetake kamisori, just came back from honing.
Tosuke Kamisori from BST.

I forgot to include my new brush in the picture. Here he is solo:
NOS Simpson Best Badger shaving brush model 62. It had a label with "Simpson-Made in England-Sterilized" which came off and went down the drain as I was rinsing it from its Borax bath.:mad3:

Last, I did post this one a few weeks ago, but since I just got it back from restoration, I wanted to show the results for this Boker circa 1900-1905. I love it, it's beautiful, and it gave me the best shave I've ever had, this morning.

This was the extent of my AD in these past three weeks. I feel it to be extreme, and I swear I'll go to rehab as soon as I get my strops and that other razor, next week.

Here are the fruits of my recent binge. It's actually three weeks of AD, since I was away in Italy for the past two weeks. Therefore, whatever I didn't purchase there, was received in the past three days.
Obviously, there is lots of stuff, I had to take the pic in a hurry (before it starts raining), so I apologize that things look small.

Starting from the top left, Acqua Distillata Alle Rose, by Roberts. At 3 Euros each at a Roman supermarket, I couldn't resist buying two, especially since AOS charges $22/bottle.

Next, Czech and Speake 88. Love the scent. SWMBO loves it too. Also purchased in Rome.

Proraso Soap, and Pre-Dopo Barba. The first at 1.69 Euros, and the second at 3 Euros. Love those italian supermarkets:biggrin1:!

Thuringian stone bought at BST.
Nakayama with slurry stone bought at BST.
Below them, a TM strop from BST.

Now the razors:

At the top: Genco Red Cross 5/8 FH.
Dovo Inox 5/8 FH (purchased in Rome).
W&B 7/8 wedge.
K*R Best silver steel, 1/4 hollow w/ barber's notch.
Torrey 6/8 FH.
Kanetake kamisori, just came back from honing.
Tosuke Kamisori from BST.

I forgot to include my new brush in the picture. Here he is solo:
NOS Simpson Best Badger shaving brush model 62. It had a label with "Simpson-Made in England-Sterilized" which came off and went down the drain as I was rinsing it from its Borax bath.:mad3:

Last, I did post this one a few weeks ago, but since I just got it back from restoration, I wanted to show the results for this Boker circa 1900-1905. I love it, it's beautiful, and it gave me the best shave I've ever had, this morning.

This was the extent of my AD in these past three weeks. I feel it to be extreme, and I swear I'll go to rehab as soon as I get my strops and that other razor, next week.

Outstanding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom