What's new

Absolute slickery

You might like Cella Extra Extra Bio (newer formula in green tub). Smells nice, easy to lather, no animals harmed. Cost is usually under $10 for a 150g tub.

If you want to spend more, you could try Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica. Vegetable-based, nice scent, lathers easily, no animals harmed. Cost is around $20-25 for a 150g hard puck that will last a long, long time.

+1 on the Cella Extra Extra Bio. Makes a nice lather too.

A reminder that I'm not familiar with most abl in any case.
#1 SV 4.3
#2 Wickham 1912
#3 PdP/Cella Bio/CRS in no particular order.

SV stands alone on my shelf.
I am not familiar with most abbreviations.
Also.. tallow is an ingredient I presume? A glycerin substitute?

Thank you all so much. This information is gold. It's taking an immense amount of will on my part not to simply buy them all.

Thank you all so much. This information is gold. It's taking an immense amount of will on my part not to simply buy them all.
For many abbreviations, check out the wiki...

Tallow is rendered animal fat. It can be used as a source of fat to make soap. It will not exist as the original tallow once the soap is made, it will transformed into soap.

Fat + alkali => soap + glycerin

Other fats from plants can be used. For shaving soap, commonly stearic acid and coconut oil and/or palm oil are used. Other ingredients may be added for conditioning the skin or for fragrance.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

All of my top soaps and creams are veg based with the exception of, I think, Cella Bio and PdP. I'm not sure because it doesnt matter to me one way or the other. I know Wickham 1912 and SV 4.3 are both veg soaps.

SV: Saponificio Varesino
CRS: Cyril. R. Salter (cream)
PdP: Pre de Provence. A very hard quad milled soap made in France.
CC: Captain's Choice. I prefer creams and his are very good. Equal to CRS.

1597347262416.png

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Cella Bio (green) is veg based (Cella red uses tallow, though).
PdP is veg based, also.

Which goes to show that great soaps can be made either way.

Thats leaves Arko as my only unknown. Interesting. I've used some very nice tallow soaps and the only one still on my shelf is WK DM (Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk). Once its gone it wont be replaced but as far as performances goes, its equal to Wickham and CRS but takes a back seat to SV.

So tallow isn't necessarily superior? Okay, noted. And thank you for spelling out your recommendations.

Are Cella red and Cella bio completely different formulas or the same formula other than one being tallow and the other veg? It would be interesting to do a comparison if the only difference was the base.

I just finished a shave with Wickham Club Cola. I have 4 Wickham soaps. Good stuff.
I only have Classic and next on my list will be Club Cola. I think this soap is on the same level as A&E, Barrister & Mann and MWF. Incredible slick!

1. Williams - my vote for slickest, and probably also the cheapest, but falls down a little bit in the cushioning aspect, imho.
2. Stirling soaps - very slick, with more cushioning. At < $14 per tub, it meets your price target.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Tabac- excellent for slickness and interesting scent , one of the most controversial scents in the shaving world.:lol:
Razorock -Santa Marie del Fiore-Excellent in all aspects of great lather,very nice scent.
Haslinger Schifmilch- great slickness and good for the skin, nice mild scent.

So tallow isn't necessarily superior? Okay, noted. And thank you for spelling out your recommendations.

Are Cella red and Cella bio completely different formulas or the same formula other than one being tallow and the other veg? It would be interesting to do a comparison if the only difference was the base.
Cella red is a traditional formula that goes back over one hundred years. It has an almond scent that can irritate a small percentage of people's skin.

Cella Bio is a recent formula that has organically sourced ingredients and is designed not to be irritating for people with sensitive skin. Has more of a citrus, woody scent instead of almond.

They are different formulas with some similarity. It is hard to go wrong with either one. though.

Top Bottom