What's new

Above the Tie Silvertip Brush losing up to 20 hairs per shave - help!

I have one of the acrylic-handled ATT silvertip badger brushes that was acquired new, and is 3 years old. It gets used every other day. Never mistreated, and I "paint" my shaving cream on after bowl lathering with AoS shave cream (Ocean Kelp).

Over the past year, the bristles have started coming out, in what I would call a excessive amount. Is there a way or trick to secure the bristles that are loose? It hasn't seemed to change in appearance or thickness, but there is 10 - 20 bristles coming out each time I get it wet, and lather up.

I notice Stan doesn't have them on the site anymore. Is that common with them?

Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Since this is my first brush, I am wondering if this is a normal phase of the life of the brush. I understand a certain amount of hair will come out, and most of the loose hairs do happen to be in the mid section of the brush.

Thanks again.

It doesn't sound good. Have you treated the brush badly? A new brush will occasionally shed and then stabilize but with an older brush it is often terminal.
The Vendor may help you with information but you couldn't expect more after that sort of time.
Good luck.

No, I did not abuse it. If anything, you guys would laugh at how I babied it. I intend to have and use it the rest of my life hopefully.

Thanks djh, I guess I will talk to Stan about it, but it sounds like it is possible that it is just a bad glue job. I hope it isn't terminal as you say.

Piggy Back question: How long should it take a brush to stabilize?

once it is broke in it should stop shedding. how long it takes to break in depends on the number of wet/dry cycles and frequency of use. if you use it once a week it will take much longer than if you use it every day. also type of hair matters too. a goo rule of thumb I have used is 15 -20 shaves for my bore brushes to break in and stabilize.

A more experienced member will be along to help out more than I have.

Top Bottom