What's new

About eggnog...

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I love the stuff...but it's generally only available between the end of November to the end of January and then it disappears from supermarket shelves. Sometimes I see it in smaller one serving size bottles in Stewart's. But my favorite eggnog is Southern Comfort. They have a regular flavor and a vanilla spice flavor that are both outstanding. Looking forward to eggnog season right around the corner!

I was going to recommend Southern Comfort, especially the vanilla spice flavor, when I saw the title of this thread. It is great! You might start looking for it early November though. I think they start putting it out for Thanksgiving IIRC.

I loved it as a child because it was so sweet. Then I couldn’t stand it for decades. Now I am coming back around. I like dark rum in it.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Making it from scratch certainly would be a good remedy for the eggnog off-season when it's not on store shelves.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I echo the make your own idea, but I use equal parts bourbon and brandy (VS grade Cognac). Grate a little fresh nutmeg on there and it's Christmas! Wait a minute, Christmas is a heck of a lot of baggage to take on for just one drink. I think I'll pass, even though I do like home made eggnog.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
It's hard to stop chugging that Southern Comfort eggnog once you take the first couple of swallows straight out of the carton!

I generally do not like eggnog, but there is a local dairy farm that makes such amazing eggnog that I will happily drink theirs. It costs $7 or $8 per quart, but it is well worth the cost. Thick and creamy, and full of good spices. I would imagine a proper homemade eggnog would be just as good, but either way, the usual stuff that you buy in cartons is quite gross.

Any reliable recipes? I'll admit to never have tried it ..
Traditionally, eggnog contained raw eggs. Nowadays, that may not be a good idea with the food-borne illnesses out there. So, a cooked version of this recipe can be made. Bourbon or rum can be used.

I like this one because it is not so sweet as some of them. I prefer less nutmeg than called for, too.

I like eggnog too. Starts showing up mid-fall here in Nebraska, and hangs around till January. I grab a couple cartons before Thanksgiving and have a small cup most nights after supper. I scoop up a few cartons after the first of the year and hope the "use by" is a month or so away. Any of you guys simmer it on the stove and add some rum or bourbon? I have found folks either like it or don't. Quite frankly, the holidays aren't the same without some 'nog.

It is so hard (not impossible) to find "store" egg nog without high fructose corn syrup in it

Don't mind the glycerin but can't do HFCS anymore.

I like eggnog too. Starts showing up mid-fall here in Nebraska, and hangs around till January. I grab a couple cartons before Thanksgiving and have a small cup most nights after supper. I scoop up a few cartons after the first of the year and hope the "use by" is a month or so away. Any of you guys simmer it on the stove and add some rum or bourbon? I have found folks either like it or don't. Quite frankly, the holidays aren't the same without some 'nog.
Yes, but Southern Comfort, not rum or bourbon.

I have been making it for decades.

20 oz milk
4 medium eggs
5 oz. favourite libation
3/4 cup (6 oz.) granulated sugar
10 oz. whipping cream
cinnamon or nutmeg to taste

Beat the eggs. Add libation and beat some more.
Pour sugar into defeated beaten mixture. Mix (beat) at slow speed. Sugar is to taste.
Set aside for 5 minutes.
Whip up the whipping cream.
Add mixture into whipped cream under slow mixing action
Add milk and whip.

Add sugar in stages otherwise we had trouble mixing it.
10 oz of rum/brandy is the upper limit. It is also to taste.

Top Bottom