What's new

A Norwegian traditional, easy to eat, and a picture!

I'm a little late in posting, but the rice pudding looks fantastic. My grandfather was a Dane, and a similar version of this was a big treat at my house when I was growing up. My dad loved it, and I always associate it with him.
The recipe that is listed here makes a lot!!! The next time WE make it I'm going to cut the recipe in half. I ate so much of the stuff it will be a while before I want any more. But now I want to try the Lapskaus, and before I forget there is a place in Michigan that sells reindeer cuts of meat, it's high but at least I can get it.!!!

You guys who are still subscribed to this post, just a up date, I'm still looking for reindeer meat. I'm beginning to think I will have to substitute Elk or Caribou for the reindeer. So lets have your favorite recipe for " Lapskaus", It kind of looks like beef stew. By the way I tried the other recipe for for Grot and it was good also. SWMBO says she will gladly make Grot for Christmas from now on if I want. You guys are going to make a Viking out of me, Hell..........I've even started looking for one of those helmets with the horns on the sides.:001_smile

The best lapskaus I've ever had. Ugly as hell but one of the tastiest food when served with melted butter. This recipe yields 70-90 servings:

4 kg beef
2 kg lamb
4 kg pork
30 kg potatoes
10 onions
3 kg carrots
3 kg rutabagas
150 g celery
50 allspice "berries"
30 bay leaves
50 whole white peppers

+ water and salt

1. Cut the meat, onions, celery and half of the rutabagas into large cubes. Put them and the spices into a large pot. Cover with cold water and boil for 3-4 hours so the ingredients are overcooked. Skim off the foam that comes to the surface.

2. Take out the meats and place rest of the rutabagas and the carrot slices into the broth. Once soften, throw in the potato pieces. While waiting the potatoes to soften, pull the meat apart.

3. When the vegetables are soften, drain them and pour the broth into another container and mash the vegetables. Use the broth to achieve the consistency you desire. Add the meat and some butter into the mash. Season with salt.

4. Serve with butter, pickled beets and pickles.

You can always double the recipe if you feel this isn't enough. :001_smile

The result should look something like this. http://www.ur.fi/kansankanava/mist%C3%A4_on_oikea_lapskoussi_tehty_2543430.html Pretty, huh?

Last edited:
Puréed rutabaga is a Christmas side dish for those who usually eat pinnekjøtt ("stick meat" :001_tongu) on Christmas.

The picture is the article is horribly boring. I think these are more enticing..

Just look at this.. Makes my mouth water. Beer and aquavit.. Mmmm!
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Apropos.. Have you guys tasted aquavit? I wouldn't be going too far if I said that aquavit is our proudest product!

In Norway it's distilled from potatoes, and it's flavoured with herbs and spices. Important flavouring ingredients are caraway and anise amongst others. It's not very smooth and has a clear "burn," but it's full of flavour. A lot of people serve it chilled because its strong, but you lose a lot of flavour that way.

One of the more interesting traditions is "Linjeakevitt" which translates to line aquavit. It refers to the storing of the oak barrels on ships bound for return journeys to Australia, thereby passing the equator (the line) twice. It happened by chance in 1805, when barrels of potato spirits didn't sell in Indonesia. The barrels were brought back home, and the transformation of the spirits was discovered. Constant movement, high humidity and changing temperatures lead to much quicker maturing of the spirits than regular vat storage.

The great thing is that aquavit vintages improve yearly, since the same barrels are used again and again. It's not rare for the same brand to score different in tests as the years pass.

Aquavit is traditional spirits, and it's mostly had during Christmas, but people also drink it on our national day. In my family, it's only during Christmas meals. It's a very local tradition, and you almost won't find it outside Scandinavia. There are some places though, like Aquavit in New York. You'll also find aquavit in northern Germany and a few other places.

If you want to try strong spirits of exceptional quality and taste, you can't go wrong with aquavit.

Since it's not aged for years and years, prices on aquavit stay relatively low, but I'd say they would compare to decent, base range whiskys. As a Norwegian, I'd never recommend Swedish or Danish aquavits, because they're just not the tradition here, and they're also made of corn, not potatoes.

EDIT
Forgot some pics:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

For Christmas last year, my family drank the Gammel Opland:

proxy.php

Highly recommendable. A sharp aquavit with a round smoothness and hint of citrus. I will definitely be purchasing this again.

Last edited:
When having bigger dinners with the family we often have a bottle of akvavit on the table. Usually Linie, Skåne or O P Anderson akvavit. Personally, I'm not a big fan of caraway seeds and anise so I stick with vodka.

When having bigger dinners with the family we often have a bottle of akvavit on the table. Usually Linie, Skåne or O P Anderson akvavit. Personally, I'm not a big fan of caraway seeds and anise so I stick with vodka.

Any big dinner? Like for a birthday party etc?

fine wine, I'm glad you're excited! ;)

EDIT
Caraway and anise take some getting used to BalthasaR, that's for sure!

When Rossmeister mentions that aquavit has "a clear burn," he isn't kidding. My Swedish grandparents always kept a bottle in the refrigerator -- don't know if everyone prefers it served cold or not, but that's the way we did it.

If you drink it as a shot, wow! Cold on the tongue, then liquid fire going down.

But I have to admit, like BalthasarR, I'm not a big caraway fan. So I turn to the other side of the family tree for Irish or single-malt Scotch whiskys.

Any big dinner? Like for a birthday party etc?

fine wine, I'm glad you're excited! ;)

EDIT
Caraway and anise take some getting used to BalthasaR, that's for sure!

Christmas dinners, bday dinners, fathers day and you name it. We also enjoy akvavit or vodka when eating roe and blinis, which quite often. Last Friday we had some whitefish roe with Viru Valge vodka. :001_smile

I still drink akvavit time to time. Love the history of the drink. Some brands fit me better than others.

my19: Not a bad choice either.:wink2:

Feeling hungry! I think I need to make few brunost sandwiches. :closedeye

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Damn, now I have to make rice pudding tomorrow. Rice pudding with a spicy port breakfast sausage on the side - I'll not rest 'till I have it!

Top Bottom