What's new

What's for Dinner - Recipe Edition

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Shelled 12 big shrimp. Sweated four slices of red onion in EVOO. Tossed in half a dozen yellow and have a dozen red grape tomatoes, halved and two cloves of garlic, minced fine. Added juice of a couple of limes, splash of white wine, and some red pepper flakes and tossed in the shrimp. Added a couple of handfuls of chopped cilantro. Served over whole wheat angel hair.
3F7E4270-88ED-4749-8BF3-6C93E6E59076.jpeg

I had some ingredients and googled spaghetti squash and cauliflower. Turned our to be very filling and really good. would be a good side dish but a big bowl for dinner works also. Sorry no pic of the finished product. The picture of the vegetables before roasting will have to do.

322D4863-791D-42AF-A263-BC0669262985.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
My wife and I have a bookcase full of cookbooks, and occasionally one of us will just pull one out and page through in the evening, looking for interesting recipes. She ran across one last week that grabbed her interest, so I made it for supper last night. It's a meat pie. I know, right? What's so strange about a meat pie?

Get this...the filling is the crust, and the crust is the filling! It's in a 1950's cookbook that I refer to as the "Keep Your Husband Happy" cookbook because, well, that's one of the messages it sends loud and clear. "Your husband will beam with pride when the guests compliment your cooking..." We laugh now.

Anyway, this looked so strange we had to try it, but the taste is really familiar.

Hamburger Pie
(Pillsbury Family Cookbook, date unknown)

1 1/2 pounds ground round or extra lean hamburger
1 tsp salt, divided (recipe calls for 2 tsp, but I found it too much)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper, divided
1 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup chopped celery (with green pepper to make up the amount)
1 Tbsp. oil or melted butter
3 cups soft bread cubes
1 egg
1 Tbsp. dried minced onion (I used half a small onion left over from another recipe)
1 Tbsp. minced parsley (didn't have so used a few pinches of sage, thyme, oregano)
3 slices bacon (I used pancetta)

Mix together ground meat, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, flour and milk. Press mixture into bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate.

Saute celery (and green pepper) in butter or oil until softened. (I also sauteed the onions.) Toss with remaining ingredients except bacon/pancetta. Spoon filling into crust and level.

Bake at 325F for 15 minutes. Place bacon strips on top of pie and return to oven. Bake at 325F for 30-45 minutes until meat is done.

O.H.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Bumping the "Recipe Edition"...

Here's stupid easy and fairly healthy-

1) 2 Sweet potatoes roasted until fork tender

2) 1 15 oz.can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, I prefer fire roasted for this recipe

1 7.75 oz can El Pato tomato sauce

Mix that all them canned goodies together in a pan and heat it up, reducing the liquid until you are happy. Slice open your sweet potatoes and dump the mixture in/on.

3) Top with shredded cheddar, chopped red or green onions, sliced avocado and a dollop of sour cream. YTMV (Your Toppings May Vary)

Last edited:
Top Bottom