What's new

A Norwegian traditional, easy to eat, and a picture!

I'm from the hills of Kentucky, and we eat a lot of stuff that probably sound weird to other people, no doubt. But this sounds strange even to me! To tell you the truth.........I've always wondered what porridge was. So when the wife gets home I'm going to show her this and see if she will make it. But to tell you the truth I have no idea were I will get that sausage.
????????????????????????? JR

To be honest, I don't think the cured meats tradition is that strong in the US, so I have no idea where you might get it either! Most people eat it without the sausage, though =)

To be honest, I don't think the cured meats tradition is that strong in the US, so I have no idea where you might get it either! Most people eat it without the sausage, though =)
There's a pretty good amount of cured meat in the US, or at least in the south. Smoke is probably the most favored method, then salt and brine, in my experience. Interesting that Norwegians eat this as a main course where I've only seen it as dessert.

My danish family needs to put out the rice pudding every christmas so the Nisser men won't come and steal our presents...

We do the almond wins a prize thing as well (but we do it with Citronfromage)

I imagine it is the same tradition!

Last edited:
OKAY, first what are Nisser men? And what is Citronfromage? My wife made this for me tonight and I must say I do like the flavor. Actually I would call this "comfort food". But is it a dessert, side dish or the whole meal by it self? I could even see this as breakfast item. I'm reading this as 2 items. Is this porridge or rice pudding? It's good...............JR

We who descend from the Celtic/Anglo/Breton isles just call this rice puddin'. Many times it will be finished in the oven in a casserole dish rather than cooked down on the hob though it can be done either way. I really love it. And thumbs up to the cardamon as well. I can eat it with or without the sultanas as well. Always popular around here in the cold months. I have never tried it with savoury additions.

Regards, Todd
Another question, what is Sultanas?. And does anyone know a American equavalent for that sausage called Morrpolse............JR

Last edited:
You made me hungry :)

Been too long since last time I ate grøt, need to make some very soon.

This is the first time I hear of morrpølse with grøt, sounds interesting though, think I will try it next time, thanks!

OKAY, first what are Nisser men? And what is Citronfromage? My wife made this for me tonight and I must say I do like the flavor. Actually I would call this "comfort food". But is it a dessert, side dish or the whole meal by it self? I could even see this as breakfast item. I'm reading this as 2 items. Is this porridge or rice pudding? It's good...............JR

"Nisse" (nissenmenn and spelling equivalents are plural) is the Scandinavian gnome-like, mischievous version of santa. Like this:
proxy.php

"Nisse" can also be used derogatory, like someone who is stubborn and unwilling to look past one's own views, almost in a stupid/ignorant/contrary way.

Sitronfromasj is lemon cream/mousse.

It's cool that you like the flavour! It can be different meals, actually. Dessert during Christmas especially, and it can also be a meal by itself. Not so much a side dish. Porridges made of oats are more normal for breakfast. If I wanted to translate this, I would say porridge. That is more similar to our word "grøt." Pudding.. Well it's not pudding consistency and texture, so I'm reluctant to call it that.

Zephyr, it was my friend's family from Stryn that served it to me with morrpølse! I don't know how widespread it is..

Thanks for all the answers!! I'm of Russian decent, but my people came over a very long time ago so there are no traditions from the "old country" that we do.:blushing: When I first read the recipe I didn't really think I would like it. But surprise!!! It is really good this stuff...........Anyway thanks again. And thanks to MY19 for sending your family recipe to me, that's the next try.:thumbup1:.....JR

WELL............I've been eating on this for 2 days, [the recipe makes alot!] I've been messing around with it and a squirt of honey with a handful of blueberrys makes it even better. What else do you guys in Norway and Sweden have I mite like?..................JR

WELL............I've been eating on this for 2 days, [the recipe makes alot!] I've been messing around with it and a squirt of honey with a handful of blueberrys makes it even better. What else do you guys in Norway and Sweden have I mite like?..................JR

You could try it with sugar and ground cinnamon. Maybe milk to. Make sure its a milk with atleast 3 % fat. For the right taste. Thats how we eat it in sweden!

Wow.. We have loads! I'll leave you with this, and you can ask questions after you narrow it down =P

I made a pretty good rice pudding with cinnamon and nutmeg and threw in some dried and chopped dates and figs whilst it was cooking - turned out really nicely

Are there any veggie items maybe like a casserole? Or maybe a stew using wild game, like wild hog or deer meat?............................JR:chef::chef::chef:

Are there any veggie items maybe like a casserole? Or maybe a stew using wild game, like wild hog or deer meat?............................JR:chef::chef::chef:

Vegetarian tradition is close to nonexistent in Norwegian traditional/classical cuisine. I suppose meals without fish or meat were eaten by many and often because of poverty, though. I can't really think of any special veggie meals, except for vegetable soup. But then again, that's not very special.

Scandinavian vegetables are of extremely good quality, and they're renowned for it. Because of the very long, sunny (not warm) days, vegetables thrive here. Truffles were actually discovered in Sweden too, ten or so years ago. Denmark has an extremely impressive sandwich tradition, look there for suggestions on that.

A classic beef/vegetable stew you'll find is "lapskaus." Look here. The Norwegian variety looks like this:

proxy.php

For wild game you have grouse and elk amongst other things, but the most exotic meat you'll find in Norway is reindeer. A strong staple in Saami tradition, very expensive in supermarkets, and incredibly good. Try to get hold of it if you can. Wild hog or wild boar is not normal in Norway.

For reindeer, instead of going with fillets or steaks, try to get what we call "reinskav." It means reindeer shavings, and it's basically thinly cut reindeer meat. Another name is "finnbiff" which translates to Finn steak and alludes to the Saami heritage of Lapland.

Sautéed reindeer.
proxy.php

Good God you have no idea how tasty this is. Wish I didn't post all this stuff, you're making me hungry! :drool:

Assorted cured meats are also popular as nice meals, or meals for special occasions and the like.
proxy.php

In the picture you see: cured leg of mutton (the dark ham), smoked-cured ham (the light ham), morr sausage on the right, and the sausage in the middle is most likely of mutton. A popular way to eat this is with scrambled eggs (with chives!) and "flat bread", which is the bread you see in the picture of lapskaus above. The bred can be had with or without butter.

As you might understand, this is quite hearty and fatty food! People have been eating this stuff since at least medieval times, so the tradition is strong.

Last edited:
Hot damn !!!! Everything I'm looking at is making my mouth water !!!!!!!:001_tt1: I love meat dishes. Veggies are great, but only as a side dish or filler for the meat dish:001_smile I'm going to go crazy trying to find reendeer cuts of meat, but if it can be had over here ,DAMN IT !!!, I will find it!!!! I didn't know people ate it. I always though it was a "beast of burden", a work animal. I will go over the meals ,show the wife { not sure how she will handle the reendeer thing, the conection with Santa Claus you know} And get with you guys for the recipes. This is going to be an adventure, and won't have to leave the house.This is going to be great!!!...................THANKS...JR:a18:

In the north of scandinavia theres a tradition (By the Sami people afaik) of drying and/or smoking reindeer meat. I remember that my dad brought it with us on some of our hikings in the mountains as a child. Its a bit like Beef Jerky but has a wilder taste. Its a great snack then you rest or camp. Then i wanted a bit of nostalgia I used to buy it a few times from a internet shop some years ago!

You guys who are still subscribed to this post, just a up date, I'm still looking for reindeer meat. I'm beginning to think I will have to substitute Elk or Caribou for the reindeer. So lets have your favorite recipe for " Lapskaus", It kind of looks like beef stew. By the way I tried the other recipe for for Grot and it was good also. SWMBO says she will gladly make Grot for Christmas from now on if I want. You guys are going to make a Viking out of me, Hell..........I've even started looking for one of those helmets with the horns on the sides.:001_smile

I'm a little late in posting, but the rice pudding looks fantastic. My grandfather was a Dane, and a similar version of this was a big treat at my house when I was growing up. My dad loved it, and I always associate it with him.

Top Bottom