What's new

A Norwegian traditional, easy to eat, and a picture!

In the title I forgot to add that it's extremely tasty! :001_smile

This is one of Norway's iconic and most traditional meals. It's called Risgrøt or Risengrynsgrøt and it translates to rice pudding or rice porridge.

I've been eeatingit for dinner two days in a row now, because I had a craving. I bought a semi pre-made version, but I am giving you the full recipe. I don't think you'll find any quick mixes outside of Scandinavia anyway.

But first, a bit of trivia!

Risgrøt (you'll never get me to consistently call it pudding) has been eaten since medieval times. The poor folk ate grøt made out of other grains, while the rich used rice. Today it's made with rice.

In Norwegian fairy tales, grøt is often mentioned One character tricks the big troll to cut open its stomach during a grøt eating competition. Another character, Thumbikin, drowns in the butter. Norwegian fairy tales originate from the 1500's and earlier.

Traditionally grøt has been a meal for women to strengthen themselves on after giving birth.

Another tradition is to leave grøt outside one's door on Christmas. The Norwegian folk version of santa (a small, mischievous dwarf-like creature) would get very angry if he didn't get his grøt, according to the tales.

Recipe, four-five people:

1,5 cups of jasmin rice, though basmati or any other will do, I've heard.
2,5 cups of water
Two litres of milk (half a gallon, bit more)
Salt
Sugar
Cinnamon
Butter
Optional: Mountain pasture sour cream (35 g. fat per 100 grams)

Bring to a boil and let it simmer for ten minutes/until all water is absorbed. Add milk and bring to a boil, continually stirring. Then turn the heat to its lowest setting, let the grøt sit for one hour. Stir from time to time to make sure it doesn't burn.

Before serving, add one teaspoon of salt, two tablespoons of sugar and stir it in. As a traditional Christmas meal, you might add in the sour cream as well. Place a spoon sized scoop of butter in the middle - this is known as the 'butter eye' - and serve with sugar and cinnamon in a deep bowl. Use any butter you're comfortable with eating.

My friend from Western Norway taught me to eat grøt with morrpølse. Morr comes from old Norse and means chopped or ground entrails. Today it's most often made from sheep meat, but other ingredients are pig, cattle, horsemeat and game. Most grocery variants are mixed meat sausages, like most others.

It's one of the fattest sausages on the Norwegian market, with up to about 50% fat. It's extremely juicy, meaty. Mild, but also tangy and salty. It's a cured sausage, and it's believed to be one of the oldest processed foods in Norway.

What I just ate:
proxy.php

Traditinally serverd with strawberry lemonade/squash/juice
proxy.php

Very traditional!
proxy.php

I hope at least some of you try it out!

Last edited:
I love rice pudding. I you want it to be even more decadent you can substitute part of the milk with heavy cream.

Your pictures are great.

I love rice pudding. I you want it to be even more decadent you can substitute part of the milk with heavy cream.

Your pictures are great.

My mormor would insist on heavy cream. Raisins and cardamon are also necessary for her recipe.

We eat this in Sweden to. At Christmas mostly. I´m not that found of porridge othervise but this is a great dish! But eating sausage with it must be a more norwegian tradition.

Btw i recognise those stories about small gnomes. According to folklore they guard houses and animals all year around and expects a ration of rice porridge at christmas eve. Othervise as you say, they get
very angry and can in worst case abandon those they protect.

We eat this in Sweden to. At Christmas mostly. I´m not that found of porridge othervise but this is a great dish! But eating sausage with it must be a more norwegian tradition.

Btw i recognise those stories about small gnomes. According to folklore they guard houses and animals all year around and expects a ration of rice porridge at christmas eve. Othervise as you say, they get
¨
Definitely. In Denmark too. Do you have morrpølse or something similar in Sweden?

In Norway, grøt has been a very traditional meal on Saturdays. So I've eaten my share, I'm sure =D

¨
Definitely. In Denmark too. Do you have morrpølse or something similar in Sweden?

I´m the wrong guy to ask. I´m not that found of entrails myself. I do know theres a old tradtion of liver sausage but not much more.

In Norway, grøt has been a very traditional meal on Saturdays. So I've eaten my share, I'm sure =D

I´m like rice porridge a lot but not that much. Glad it just a few times a year! :D

I'm a big fan of eating. I eat whenever I get the chance. But risgrynsgröt is one of the few things I just can't eat.
But it is for sure good food & many people love it, even kids.

We who descend from the Celtic/Anglo/Breton isles just call this rice puddin'. Many times it will be finished in the oven in a casserole dish rather than cooked down on the hob though it can be done either way. I really love it. And thumbs up to the cardamon as well. I can eat it with or without the sultanas as well. Always popular around here in the cold months. I have never tried it with savoury additions.

Regards, Todd

We have this every christmas made with pretty much identical recipe. It's always eaten with fruit soup. The sausage variation is a new one for me. I'll have to try that! Though I must admit I'm a bigger fan of lutefisk when it comes to traditional Scandinavian christmas cuisine.

Last edited:
I don't eat much seafood, we never have it for Christmas in my family. Thank God. =P

Cured meats that you get in Norway are very good with peaty whiskys, by the way.

I've eaten my best lamb dishes in Norway. Pinnekjøtt is pretty awesome. I've always wanted to try smalahove but so far I haven't had an opportunity. Also whale meat is a must buy while in Norway. That's something you don't easily find in here.

Thank god brunost can be found in stores these days!

Grøt was/is a Christmas tradition in our Swedish family, too ... usually with a single almond added before serving which wins the lucky finder an extra Christmas gift (or at least that's what my grandmother used to tell us).

But we have it much more often than that. My wife loves it, too, so as soon as cooler weather hits here in Texas, I'll start making it. I usually break a cinnamon stick and add that to the recipe, and then sprinkle ground cinnamon on each serving.

The tradition was to leave one bowl for the Jultomten who live in the barn -- in my case, the shed, I guess -- and keep an eye on the property. Small payment, I say.

Thanks for the post. I made this during the hurricane, and my SO and I ate it while waiting for our house to float away. I didn't have any sausage to eat with it, but perhaps I can try that next time!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well I like rice and I like porridge and Christmas is my favourite time of year. I'd like to find a little sausage hanging around. Hmmm. . . now that I think of it, there is a shop near me that I've somehow avoided. Claims to have some traditional cured meats.

I'm from the hills of Kentucky, and we eat a lot of stuff that probably sound weird to other people, no doubt. But this sounds strange even to me! To tell you the truth.........I've always wondered what porridge was. So when the wife gets home I'm going to show her this and see if she will make it. But to tell you the truth I have no idea were I will get that sausage.
????????????????????????? JR

Rice Pudding is the best. I'm lactose Intolerant (though I eat a ton of cheese and don't have a problem).
I'll have to try it with Lactaid milk.

Top Bottom