What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

lasta

Blade Biter
You are braver than I am! I have the grey tucks with the platinum coating. Red is stainless steel. I have read reviews that the Reds are actually better than the greys so I might need to investigate that too. But all my shop carried was grey last year.

Super curious to your findings!

Guido
Thanks! My past experience were with the greys as well. I do hope the reds are better!

If not, I'm blaming you!

I still don't get you. Tigers, sharks, and Dorcos?! :em3000:

Kudos for giving the underdogs fair representation though.

If not, I'm blaming you!
Sounds like typically you 😜, but if it makes you feel better go right ahead. (I sometimes say to colleagues - get your ticket and stand in line).
I still don't get you. Tigers, sharks, and Dorcos?!
Yeah well, Dorco’s are really good! I have about 400 Titans in stock I think. And still some 275 Tigers. Sharks only for Shark Week. And I think there are non PPI blades out there that are actually really good. I am not against PPI per se but it is harder to get around Gillette as practically every quality blade comes out of that particular factory. And I have lots in stock as well. I was just exploring other options last year.

Cheers,

Guido

Date19.02.2023
365 days of shaving50/365 (100%)
GRUYERE50/365 (100%)
GRUME February19/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes3
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N
Neck: S-N (slanted)

RazorBladeBrush
Swing
on Lasta Red Handle
Tiger Platinum (6)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS++)8/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Never too old to learn. I transferred the blade to the Swedish Swing, my last acquisition of 2022. And boy did it do justice to its name! A fanatic shave followed with the razor making the blade feel like almost new. Speaking of feel, as @mgweatherly already calculated, the gap in this razor is about 1.00 and I definitely had blade feel this morning, but at all times it felt comfortable and smooth. And three passes later I am very close to BBS. Superb shave!

The son is bringing his girlfriend over for the first time. So we get to first clean the house! Oh joy!

Enjoy you shave today!

Date20.02.2023
365 days of shaving51/365 (100%)
GRUYERE51/365 (100%)
GRUME February20/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations

Passes3

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle R41 Swing
on Lasta Red Handle
Tiger Platinum (7)Omega Super Badger
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Dutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS++)7.5/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Perhaps the most interesting part about today’s shave happened a couple of hours before the shave - I did my first head shave! Well sort of , I did my usual timing with the Remmington, but followed up with my ‘idle since DE’ Philishave. So no DE head shave yet and maybe I won’t go down that path. I just wanted to experience what it would be like. First let’s see what the LOTH thinks, because she hasn’t seen it in greater detail yet (and just now during breakfast no signs of recognition :biggrin1:). It is more chilly than usual but I think I am liking the look.

As for the regular shave I did the first pass with the R41 and the Swing for the subsequent passes. I used the same blade. The first pass was rough and tug mainly because the angle of the blade changes in the R41 compared to the Swing. Because as soon as I put the blade back in the Swing for the second and third passes the blade felt smooth again. One edge was harsher, but overall noticeably smoother.

Touch ups were necessary on the jaw line, but I kind of was expecting that. Following my beard map proved to be most effective. The end result was a near BBS. Very nice!

Enjoy your shave!

I would have never guessed you were a shiny bowling ball kinda guy!
Well, I used to have spikes for a period and I think I used so much gel my hair decided to call it a day (although I think DNA is more likely).

It’s ok and as the LOTH says: at least we got married with you still having hair!

But I no shiny bowling ball either and more somewhat in between but personally I don’t like that look so I use a trimmer since Covid on setting zero (started at 3mm and worked my way down).

Was kind of fun to try!

Guido

Date21.02.2023
365 days of shaving52/365 (100%)
GRUYERE52/365 (100%)
GRUME February21/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations

Passes3

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLTiger Platinum (7)DVH Synthetic
Cold splash
Dutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
EffectivenessComfort

Notes to today’s shave:

Totally forgot Tabac Tuesday's. Again. Ah, well another week another time. This morning's shave was a blissful event. A seventh run with a Tiger Platinum blade and the Ti95 makes it perform like new. Some tugging and harshness in certain areas (particularly above the upper lip and on the jaw line going E-W and W-E, but other than that a fairly comfortable and smooth ride.

Short strokes and no pressure is the name of the game this month and it is working out pretty well. This blade is very suited for people entering the DE shaving experience or for people that want an irritation free neck each and every shave. If you were not like me and bin a blade after each shave or anywhere from 1-3 shaves, this blade stays sufficiently sharp as well. And given its price point this is a very cost effective blade. But as YMMV was practically invented for describing blade experiences - maybe this one is not for you. Only one way to find out.

Technique very consistently applied so no changes. I have experimented with my chin strokes. I come in with a horizontal stroke W-E (left) and E-W (right) with additional N-S in the middle. I noticed that this best resembles my growth pattern. Only recently have I begun to go E-W (left) and W-E (right) as an ATG stroke in that area. Works pretty well and causes less stress or tugging compared to ATG (S-N) which I used to do more often in the past.

The brush was a joy to use today. It is actually my cheapest brush picked up at a local drugstore. And it just does the job. Nice backbone and good lather capacity. Compared to my other brushes it is also the smallest of the bunch - but it punches above its weight. I have even considered getting a second one for travelling.

All in all a nice shave. Enjoy yours today!

I was Tiger scratched 9 hours ago. My face still hurts.

This is not a beginner blade.

Tigers are for self-flagellaters only.

But blades are YMMV. You've probably been well conditioned to it.
Either that, or you need to practice on your technique :devil:

And you used the Tiger Stainless. I believe there is a difference there. I have found so far that stainless blades on my skin are less fun to use than coated blades (although all blades have some coating I know). So Nacets for example, are nice and sharp, but they don't do my neck any favours when using them. Let alone use them for more than say 5-7 shaves.

Based on my paper shaving journal I recall that Tigers do not mix with my Tech either.

Cheers,

Guido.

Date21.02.2023
365 days of shaving52/365 (100%)
GRUYERE52/365 (100%)
GRUME February21/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations

Passes3

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLTiger Platinum (7)DVH Synthetic
Cold splash
Dutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
EffectivenessComfort

Notes to today’s shave:

Totally forgot Tabac Tuesday's. Again. Ah, well another week another time. This morning's shave was a blissful event. A seventh run with a Tiger Platinum blade and the Ti95 makes it perform like new. Some tugging and harshness in certain areas (particularly above the upper lip and on the jaw line going E-W and W-E, but other than that a fairly comfortable and smooth ride.

Short strokes and no pressure is the name of the game this month and it is working out pretty well. This blade is very suited for people entering the DE shaving experience or for people that want an irritation free neck each and every shave. If you were not like me and bin a blade after each shave or anywhere from 1-3 shaves, this blade stays sufficiently sharp as well. And given its price point this is a very cost effective blade. But as YMMV was practically invented for describing blade experiences - maybe this one is not for you. Only one way to find out.

Technique very consistently applied so no changes. I have experimented with my chin strokes. I come in with a horizontal stroke W-E (left) and E-W (right) with additional N-S in the middle. I noticed that this best resembles my growth pattern. Only recently have I begun to go E-W (left) and W-E (right) as an ATG stroke in that area. Works pretty well and causes less stress or tugging compared to ATG (S-N) which I used to do more often in the past.

The brush was a joy to use today. It is actually my cheapest brush picked up at a local drugstore. And it just does the job. Nice backbone and good lather capacity. Compared to my other brushes it is also the smallest of the bunch - but it punches above its weight. I have even considered getting a second one for travelling.

All in all a nice shave. Enjoy yours today!
I love reading about “blissful events”!😊👍

Date22.02.2023
365 days of shaving53/365 (100%)
GRUYERE53/365 (100%)
GRUME February22/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations

Passes3

RazorBladeBrush
Swing /w Lasta RedTiger Platinum (8)
Cold splash
Dutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
7/10 (~25 minutes)8/10 (Weeper/nick)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)8/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Miscounted yesterday’s blade usage. Both Tigers in rotation are at 8 shaves including today. And both blades appear to be keeping up rather well.

Todays shave was fine again and the Swing has just the right design to make this blade perform. I do think it is time to bin this blade as I got a weeper on my cheek (post shave - before I had not noticed) and because I think the blade’s performance was less than yesterday in terms of effectiveness. Some time after the shave and my skin was more relaxed again I felt smoother towards DFS+.

I used preshave again after skipping it for some time (without specific reasons). In combination with a wetter lather I believe this provides more slickness and protection from the blade. It felt really smooth with great glide. Sink was a mess from all the lather flying around but ok. Might be some merit perhaps to thinner lather. Need to investigate more on lathering techniques. Might need a bigger lather bowl as well.

Soap was performing well even with more water than I usually use. By the end of the month this soap will have reached 50 shaves.

Enjoy your shave today!

I used preshave again after skipping it for some time (without specific reasons). In combination with a wetter lather I believe this provides more slickness and protection from the blade.
By 'preshave' you mean the cold splash or did you use a specific preshave product?
And if you mean cold splash: did you always use a cold splash as preshave? (I'm wondering, since I always have a hot splash before I start facelathering).

By 'preshave' you mean the cold splash or did you use a specific preshave product?
And if you mean cold splash: did you always use a cold splash as preshave? (I'm wondering, since I always have a hot splash before I start facelathering).
Ah! Forgot to update my table. No, preshave for me is Proraso Green Preshave (I have the large tub). As far as cold splashes - I shave 100% cold. So no hot nothing anywhere. I rinse my brushes cold as well. I have the impression - which could be totally false of course - this helps me in keeping my skin at ease in terms of irritations and redness.

Cheers,

Guido.

Second electric head shave today. Stubble of about 1.0-1.5 days of growth. Paid more attention to evenness of the shave. I estimate an overall DFS as end result. Still enough contrast between skin and hair lines which is fine by me. I am not after the Kojak look.

Fun experiment.

Date23.02.2023
365 days of shaving54/365 (100%)
GRUYERE54/365 (100%)
GRUME February23/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations

Passes3

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLTiger Platinum (9)Kox Blue Synthetic
Cold splash
Dutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
7.5/10 (DFS+)7/10 (Harsh)

Notes to today’s shave:

Ninth shave with the Tiger was a bit too much for the blade. Still performed, but it was harsher and at times tugging. No weepers or irritation which is where this blade excels in actually. It could have been the lather as it was on the dryer side today. Good result - left cheek is BBS even.

Enjoy your shave today.

Date24.02.2023
365 days of shaving55/365 (100%)
GRUYERE55/365 (100%)
GRUME February24/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations

Passes3

RazorBladeBrush
Frankenrazor (Fatip OC with OT thick cap and Lasta Red Handle) aka Fatype OCTiger Platinum (9)Simpson T3
Cold splash
MWF
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+/BBS-)10/10 (GlideFest )

Notes to today’s shave:

It was just too long ago since I shaved with my Fatip, but I did want to experiment a little, so I came up with this Frankenrazor: the Fatype. The cap from the OT fits perfectly on the Fatip baseplate with an added bonus of spot on alignment! Compared to the Mk2 cap from Fatip the thick cap make the razor look more aggressive as more blade is exposed. The blade is still clamped securely as far as I can tell so I expect no blade chatter.

The Tiger on its ninth run performed as new! Wow! The razor showed al earlier razors earlier this month how to tame a Tiger, make it purr and give paws. Super performance with as near BBS as possible.

I think some of todays performance can be attributed to the soap as well. The T3 gave the MWF a run for its money and delivered an excellent lather that was slightly on the runny side, but I think this positively effected the glide of the razor. I opened a previous nick, but when I relathered the nick was gone which I found quite interesting given the amount of blood I saw before hand. MWF must have mystical powers.

I did not expect that to happen! Hoping for it yes, but this was just an amazing shave!

Enjoy yours today!

Last edited:
maybe something @Guido75 should repeat a few times (opening a previous nick that is), just to gather scientific proof of the mystical powers of this soap! Also on other areas of his face.
I'm still puzzeling what a double blind set-up of this research would look like.
I think I’ll pass. Just put me in the control group - or then again what are we controlling for?! The nicks or the soap?! This is an experiment that has Skinner written all over it!

Date24.02.2023
365 days of shaving55/365 (100%)
GRUYERE55/365 (100%)
GRUME February24/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations

Passes3

RazorBladeBrush
Frankenrazor (Fatip OC with OT thick cap and Lasta Red Handle) aka Fatype OCTiger Platinum (9)Simpson T3
Cold splash
MWF
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+/BBS-)10/10 (GlideFest )

Notes to today’s shave:

It was just too long ago since I shaved with my Fatip, but I did want to experiment a little, so I came up with this Frankenrazor: the Fatype. The cap from the OT fits perfectly on the Fatip baseplate with an added bonus of spot on alignment! Compared to the Mk2 cap from Fatip the thick cap make the razor look more aggressive as more blade is exposed. The blade is still clamped securely as far as I can tell so I expect no blade chatter.

The Tiger on its ninth run performed as new! Wow! The razor showed al earlier razors earlier this month how to tame a Tiger, make it purr and give paws. Super performance with as near BBS as possible.

I think some of todays performance can be attributed to the soap as well. The T3 gave the MWF a run for its money and delivered an excellent lather that was slightly on the runny side, but I think this positively effected the glide of the razor. I opened a previous nick, but when I relathered the nick was gone which I found quite interesting given the amount of blood I saw before hand. MWF must have mystical powers.

I did not expect that to happen! Hoping for it yes, but this was just an amazing shave!

Enjoy yours today!
I like reading about “amazing shaves”…..That Frankenrazor is one nice looking monster!!!!👍😊💈

1677243874726.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom