Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS++)7/10 (Comfortable)

Notes to today’s shave:

Third shave with the Matador and the Tiger. I felt a sudden drop in smoothness at the first stroke and it remained that way throughout the shave. Nothing harsh or anything, just noticeable compared to yesterday.

Performance was still amazing with another really smooth end result. Super short strokes work magically with this blade and prevents the blade from tugging (too much).

Paid additional attention to the shaving angle this shave following observations from @lasta. The angle is actually neutral as far as I can tell. I usually shave steep, but I do find that the sweet spot for this razor is more shallow than I am used to at least.

MWF provided the glide and slickness with a nice soft post shave sensation. The brush hogged my lather again after the first pass even though I had let the brush soak for 30 minutes or so. At least no shredding of hairs this time.

Nice way to start Friday!

Enjoy your shave!

lasta

Blade Biter
I enjoy reading your posts Guido.

But every now and again (recently just "every") I read something that makes me get a "finger biting gone wrong", or "mercilessly taping on the funny bone" kind of feeling...

Somehow, I think you will have a more enjoyable afternoon peeling and tossing Tigers into your blade bank than trying to shave with them.

I enjoy reading your posts Guido.

But every now and again (recently just "every") I read something that makes me get a "finger biting gone wrong", or "mercilessly taping on the funny bone" kind of feeling...

Somehow, I think you will have a more enjoyable afternoon peeling and tossing Tigers into your blade bank than trying to shave with them.
Everything is relative dear friend. Today’s shave was quite alright in my book. And the drop to 7 on comfort is just a mathematical number because of the rating system I use. Still a fine shave.

Yes these blades are not the best of the bunch, but then again I have never had any redness or irritation with them. And I find that very ok too. KCG for example which I also have in spades in my stock is an excellent blade, super longevity, and can be harsher in my neck barring sharks or treets.

I feel bad for apparently rubbing you the wrong way - and I haven’t even shaved with that special Russian blade yet. Hang in there - just 11 more days in February and then everything is back to normal in March.

Cheers,

Guido

lasta

Blade Biter
Everything is relative dear friend. Today’s shave was quite alright in my book. And the drop to 7 on comfort is just a mathematical number because of the rating system I use. Still a fine shave.

Yes these blades are not the best of the bunch, but then again I have never had any redness or irritation with them. And I find that very ok too. KCG for example which I also have in spades in my stock is an excellent blade, super longevity, and can be harsher in my neck barring sharks or treets.

I feel bad for apparently rubbing you the wrong way - and I haven’t even shaved with that special Russian blade yet. Hang in there - just 11 more days in February and then everything is back to normal in March.

Cheers,

Guido
No worries, I can take the occasional rubbing.

It's just painful to know that somewhere in the world, a fellow hair removal enthusiast is being forced to shave with Tigers everyday!

No worries, I can take the occasional rubbing.

It's just painful to know that somewhere in the world, a fellow hair removal enthusiast is being forced to shave with Tigers everyday!
Yep! It is definitely YTMV with this blade. Just look at the experience from @stivek compared to mine.

And to think there’s also a Tiger Stainless which some like better than the Platinums.

The thing that puzzles me is that these blades are made by the former producer of Astra which is a go to blade for so many shavers, especially beginners. I would think they know how to make decent blades then. Or maybe Gillette cranked QC to higher levels when taking things to PPI.

Cheers,

Guido

lasta

Blade Biter
Yep! It is definitely YTMV with this blade. Just look at the experience from @stivek compared to mine.

And to think there’s also a Tiger Stainless which some like better than the Platinums.

The thing that puzzles me is that these blades are made by the former producer of Astra which is a go to blade for so many shavers, especially beginners. I would think they know how to make decent blades then. Or maybe Gillette cranked QC to higher levels when taking things to PPI.

Cheers,

Guido
Yeah, what the hell, I'll try walking in your moccasins and load a pre-Gillette Astra for tomorrow's shave.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't want to catch a Tiger by its toe... or its tail. I do need to revisit the Astra Green blades I have. Our son gave them to me at the very beginning of this journey. I might have a razor or two that will work with them.

I don't want to catch a Tiger by its toe... or its tail. I do need to revisit the Astra Green blades I have. Our son gave them to me at the very beginning of this journey. I might have a razor or two that will work with them.
Whatever you do I would leave the GC2 where it is. Blades are the ultimate YMMV, but I couldn’t get the Tiger to work in the Green Cult.

Then again maybe an Astra will. Truth be told I have never tried an Astra. I got KCG blades with my first razor and just bought them in bulk before I discovered all these other blades.

Looking forward to your input here Kim.

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Whatever you do I would leave the GC2 where it is. Blades are the ultimate YMMV, but I couldn’t get the Tiger to work in the Green Cult.

Then again maybe an Astra will. Truth be told I have never tried an Astra. I got KCG blades with my first razor and just bought them in bulk before I discovered all these other blades.

Looking forward to your input here Kim.

Guido
I've read the Astra Greens are a tad more mild... I think I'll try them when I bring out the RR SuperSlant. I actually think the L2++ base plate will work for me if I adjust my technique. But as far as the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 goes, it's worked very well with the Nacets, Personna Comfort Coated blades with that one exception, Wizamets.... that's it so far.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That was the second DE blade I ever shaved with. The first being KCG. I gave away all my Astra Superior Platinum blades not long ago. :001_smile
I used my first Astra Green in a RR Lupo Aluminum, as you might recall... it was 10x worse than a Gillette Fusion Power shave. Within 3 days, I had a Claymore Evolution and was off to the races. I haven't had the guts to try one again. ;)

lasta

Blade Biter
I used my first Astra Green in a RR Lupo Aluminum, as you might recall... it was 10x worse than a Gillette Fusion Power shave. Within 3 days, I had a Claymore Evolution and was off to the races. I haven't had the guts to try one again. ;)
First impression may not always be right!

When I started with a shavette, I left lines of blood after every stroke. Gradually went on to ~7 years of exclusive straight shaving.

I recently upgraded my rating for Astra after putting it head to head against one of my favorites.

Date18.02.2023
365 days of shaving49/365 (100%)
GRUYERE49/365 (100%)
GRUME February18/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes3
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N
Neck: S-N (slanted)

RazorBladeBrush
Matador Deluxe
on Lasta Blue Handle
Tiger Platinum (5)Kox Blue Synthetic
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)8/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Get ready to have your funny bone tapped, because that was the fourth and final shave with the Matador and the Tiger. After yesterday’s slightly less smoother shave I was curious as to what to expect for today’s shave. And it turned out to be a smoother shave! Maybe my lather was more slick today than yesterday - at least that was one thing that came to mind, because all other players were exactly the same. The thing I find super interesting about this blade is that even when performance is decreasing (which it wasn’t today) it is still an irritation free neck and no weepers blade.

Three passes and I was done for a nice and smooth face. A little more stubble left on the left jaw line compared to yesterday.

Have a great weekend everyone and enjoy your shave!

lasta

Blade Biter
We are on the same boat now:
image_editor_1676702580178.jpg
A recent very positive experience with vintage Astras had made me more lenient towards Czech Blades SRO.

Will give them another fair chance!

We are on the same boat now:
View attachment 1607851
A recent very positive experience with vintage Astras had made me more lenient towards Czech Blades SRO.

Will give them another fair chance!
You are braver than I am! I have the grey tucks with the platinum coating. Red is stainless steel. I have read reviews that the Reds are actually better than the greys so I might need to investigate that too. But all my shop carried was grey last year.

Super curious to your findings!

Guido

Top Bottom