May 2024 GRUME 9/31
Shave Date 5/10/2024
Razor:
1967 Slim Adjustable TTO.
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: Ariana & Evans Spartacus (10)
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket 26mm Synthetic
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Post Shave Balm, Sterling Executive Man A/S
Rating: 27.5/30 9 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8.5 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes

The first WTG pass today was on setting 9 of the Slim, this resulted in a rough first pass with the Rapira. Bumping down the setting to 7 for the XTG pass made a huge difference. Again the neck received no ATG work, today in addition to the N-S pass I did some S-N passes on the neck. I did an ATG clean-up pass on the right sea lion fur patch, with great results no blood, and not much more irritation than any other blade with a similar pass. I took it easy on the left side where the nicks were before, using ultra-light touch and bumping the setting to 3, but I still drew a slight amount of blood, nothing like the butchering of two shaves ago, but still blood, when normally I see none. I will see how the Rapira behaves in one of my Techs or the Rocket tomorrow, it is likely setting 9 on the adjustable Slim is too much for this blade. The Atomic Rocket is a fine brush, it does sling some lather, I saw a bit fly over my shoulder onto whatever furbaby was sitting behind me this morning, but I kept it mostly off the walls. 10 Shaves into Spartacus and I see a slight indention in the tub, I can see where it is receding some. I am not being conservative with my brush loading and I rinse out copious amounts of later at the end of the shave, but my goal isn't to conserve soap, it is to use up my stash before 30 years go by. Once I establish how many shaves I can get out of a croap, I'll have a better idea of just how long my stash of soaps will last. Hard soaps will be a different story than the Croaps, but I have few of them in comparison to the croaps.

I sat down to rewrite my mom's poem and fix the mistake I noticed after sending the initial poem off, with a beer or two. It took many takes before I got it right, about 10. Now I have plenty of scrap Rhodia paper to write on, and I had green fingers from cleaning out a pen and reloading with Pure Pens John Frost. I mailed it off last night, unfortunately, all options to send the letter would arrive on Monday, from 68 cents forever stamp to $33 priority mail. Mom got the 68 cents stamp, she wouldn't want me to waste money.

As I mentioned in Don's (@huck1680) journal, in a moment of weakness seeing his new LAMY 2000, I google searched LAMY Studio, and the river store was selling them for $44 and some cents, the cheapest I've found it by far, they usually sell in the $65-70+ range, the seller was The LAMY store, so it seemed legit. We shall see, I know Amazon is notorious for selling fakes on many items. Checking last night and the same pen was over $50. I was limited to an EF nib option for that price, but I have a few extra LAMY nibs headed this way from Pure Pens, so that wasn't an issue. It should be in on Saturday, I also saw a LAMY 2000 for a huge discount, but I resisted that, for now.

That is all for a Friday, I wish all a blessed day, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1843838
The studio is a great pen. You will like it. I have it in EF as well and like you already eluded to takes the same nibs as Safari/Al-Star.

Mail calllllllllllll!!!!!!!

IMG_3101.jpeg

IMG_3102.jpeg

IMG_3103.jpeg

IMG_3104.jpeg

The River Store came through in one day. But in a cruel twist of fate, the converter want be here till Tuesday. To add salt to the wounds the cartridge is missing. It should come with a blue cartridge. Amazon’s website customer support sends you to LAMY. No big deal, I have T-10 LAMY cartridges from my Safari and AL Star purchases. Loaded up and ready to write with. As is to be expected, it writes smoothly and like a high quality writing instrument.

Have a great night gents.

Mail calllllllllllll!!!!!!!

View attachment 1844131
View attachment 1844132
View attachment 1844133
View attachment 1844134
The River Store came through in one day. But in a cruel twist of fate, the converter want be here till Tuesday. To add salt to the wounds the cartridge is missing. It should come with a blue cartridge. Amazon’s website customer support sends you to LAMY. No big deal, I have T-10 LAMY cartridges from my Safari and AL Star purchases. Loaded up and ready to write with. As is to be expected, it writes smoothly and like a high quality writing instrument.

Have a great night gents.
Ohhhhh ahhhh oh yes a nice Lamy Studio. Very cool.

300+ Shaves in 2024 122 of 300+
May 2024 GRUME 10/31
Shave Date 5/11/2024
Razor:
1950's Rocket HD 500.
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
Soap: Ariana & Evans Spartacus (11)
Brush: Simpson T2 Trafalgar Synthetic
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Post Shave Balm, Sterling Executive Man A/S
Rating: 27/30 9 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

Another rough one for the Rapira, I thought the Rocket was going to be able to tame the blade. It did feel smoother with the initial WTG pass, and the second XTG pass as well, the ATG passes on the face were rough. @Jay21 mentioned this blade is razor dependent, I have three more tries to see if I can find a razor that works with the blade. For the most part I can use blades in any razor, until this blade. I'll try next with the Ball End Tech, then back to the Adjustable Slim on a lower setting. I did not attempt any ATG on the neck, only doing N-S and S-N passes. Not a bad shave, the roughness on the ATG pass knocked this one down a notch. The cheeks are BBS and the neck is quite good, the resistant patch is still there and sea lion fur here and there on the neck. Not bad, not the best, very acceptable.

I pulled out the Little Simpson T2 Trafalgar today, it was the last synthetic brush I had not given a second change upon my return to my synthetics. It did ok, the lather was acceptable and it is more of a wall painter than the other synthetic brushes, slinging lather about more than the other two. It seemed to not put on as thick a coat of lather as the others did and required more face scrubbing to generate acceptable amounts. It is better suited to use when traveling and one is concerned with taking a larger brush. The little fella will go back to the spot it came from and watch the others lather up, hopefully they will be no crying.

The LAMY Studio is a bit of a disappointment, for one there was no ink cartridge in the box as was indicated on the listing at the River Store, no biggie as I have other LAMY T-10 cartridges from my previous pens. The second is that the nib isn't as smooth as my Safari or AL Star. Not that it is rough by any stretch, but not butter smooth like the others are. I thought it may be due to the Studio having an EF nib, but the Safari has an EF nib as well. I guess sometimes LAMY has a dud nib. I will contact them and see what happens, in the meantime I'll use it and see if it smooths out. I know there's a process to smooth out a rough nib with fine grit sandpaper, I'll have to source some and may give that a whirl. The Studio is solidly constructed, and I can tell the difference between the LAMY and the Hongdian 517D, the LAMY feels and looks to be a better constructed, higher quality pen. I have some brass paper shims on the way to deal with a flow issue on one of my Platinum Preppies. It's about time I got into Nib repair and adjustments.

That is all for a Saturday, I wish all a blessed Saturday and Mother's Day weekend, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3106.jpeg

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
If I go back and check my journal, I may find which razors the Rapira played nicely with. I think the Merkur 15C and RR Game Changers did, but not the Lupos.
The search feature is handy. It seems the Rapira Platinum Lux was a no-go in the Lupo 72, but was passable in the Lupo 95 and Game Changer 84. Maybe it works better in bigger gaps?

300+ Shaves in 2024 122 of 300+
May 2024 GRUME 10/31
Shave Date 5/11/2024
Razor:
1950's Rocket HD 500.
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
Soap: Ariana & Evans Spartacus (11)
Brush: Simpson T2 Trafalgar Synthetic
Rating: 27/30 9 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

Another rough one for the Rapira, I thought the Rocket was going to be able to tame the blade. It did feel smoother with the initial WTG pass, and the second XTG pass as well, the ATG passes on the face were rough. @Jay21 mentioned this blade is razor dependent, I have three more tries to see if I can find a razor that works with the blade. For the most part I can use blades in any razor, until this blade. I'll try next with the Ball End Tech, then back to the Adjustable Slim on a lower setting. I did not attempt any ATG on the neck, only doing N-S and S-N passes. Not a bad shave, the roughness on the ATG pass knocked this one down a notch. The cheeks are BBS and the neck is quite good, the resistant patch is still there and sea lion fur here and there on the neck. Not bad, not the best, very acceptable.

I pulled out the Little Simpson T2 Trafalgar today, it was the last synthetic brush I had not given a second change upon my return to my synthetics. It did ok, the lather was acceptable and it is more of a wall painter than the other synthetic brushes, slinging lather about more than the other two. It seemed to not put on as thick a coat of lather as the others did and required more face scrubbing to generate acceptable amounts. It is better suited to use when traveling and one is concerned with taking a larger brush. The little fella will go back to the spot it came from and watch the others lather up, hopefully they will be no crying.

The LAMY Studio is a bit of a disappointment, for one there was no ink cartridge in the box as was indicated on the listing at the River Store, no biggie as I have other LAMY T-10 cartridges from my previous pens. The second is that the nib isn't as smooth as my Safari or AL Star. Not that it is rough by any stretch, but not butter smooth like the others are. I thought it may be due to the Studio having an EF nib, but the Safari has an EF nib as well. I guess sometimes LAMY has a dud nib. I will contact them and see what happens, in the meantime I'll use it and see if it smooths out. I know there's a process to smooth out a rough nib with fine grit sandpaper, I'll have to source some and may give that a whirl. The Studio is solidly constructed, and I can tell the difference between the LAMY and the Hongdian 517D, the LAMY feels and looks to be a better constructed, higher quality pen. I have some brass paper shims on the way to deal with a flow issue on one of my Platinum Preppies. It's about time I got into Nib repair and adjustments.

That is all for a Saturday, I wish all a blessed Saturday and Mother's Day weekend, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1844503
Yeah sometimes they can be a bit off. Nibs that is. Your may want to look at the tine alignment with a loupe and make sure they are even. It may just be that and your can easily adjust that. If it need smoothing use some micro mesh 4000 grit and up.

Top Bottom