What's new

A journal of a Cajun's life wet shaving

Speed can be very exciting. In our area 40k over the posted speed has you charged with stunt driving immediately impounding your vehicle and a license suspension. Race tracks are the best place for speed. In the County I live in speed limits are from 40k to 80k. The OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) are zero tolerance for speeders. Ninety percent of my driving is on cruise usually set 5k over the limit, except school zones. I know where most of the speed traps are and cruise through with a smile. On our highways with 100k posted limits. They may let you go at 120k. Anything above your toast.

A typical tweet from the OPP. Considering the offences the lad is getting off pretty easy. He can get back on the road if he has enough money for the increased insurance. Usually an impaired driving offence rounds out to three to five grand if your lucky, by time you get through the courts and all.

View attachment 1834641
I've found you're pretty safe if you are less than 10 mph above the limit, 15 maybe, but you're pushing it. The bike is fully capable of doing 120+mph all day long. Despite its capabilities, I don't feel safe much above 85ish cruising. Arrow straight with no crossroads in the country during the daytime, and 85 is fine. Curves, hills and the unknown have me slowing down till I can see what is over the hill or around the bend. I've had some riding companions who always wanted to speed regardless of the conditions or where we were riding, not thinking a car may be backing out of their driveway on the other side of the hill/turn. I am a fairly cautious rider, and although I mostly travel above the limit, it is within reason. There's a method to my madness. Many of the speed limits on rural roads are 75, and some are 80, so 85-90 is within the safe zone for catching the attention of officer friendly, and if I hit anything over 100mph it is a fleeting moment, I feel safer around 80, and make good time as well. 125mph is reckless behavior in the city, there are too many things that can go wrong. Even in the countryside, you never know if some varmint will run into the road. Live to ride another day.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I learned to drive in Montana in the late 1960s. Back then, there was no daytime speed limit.. As long as you were under 100MPH. That was considered reckless driving. My dad taught me to drive on the interstate, passenger tires on the white line... going 95MPH. As a 15 year old kid, I was a bit terrified, truth be told... But he trained me well.

One way to look at the consequences of speed, admittedly not doable while driving, is to figure out the feet per second. At 65(105) you are covering 95 feet each second and at 90(145) you are up to 130 feet. There are a lot of what if scenarios that you can run through with these numbers. You need to think about distance covered during your reaction time.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
One way to look at the consequences of speed, admittedly not doable while driving, is to figure out the feet per second. At 65(105) you are covering 95 feet each second and at 90(145) you are up to 130 feet. There are a lot of what if scenarios that you can run through with these numbers. You need to think about distance covered during your reaction time.
My wife's Lexus allows you to set the following distance and slows down accordingly. Mine is 4 years older and that wasn't available at that time.... It's a very nice feature.

Which is why over 100 darn near anywhere is not safe, 120 in the city is insane, pure insanity.

My wife's Lexus allows you to set the following distance and slows down accordingly. Mine is 4 years older and that wasn't available at that time.... It's a very nice feature.
My car has that and I use it as much as possible, but I have timed the following distance and the minimum it will maintain is 4 seconds behind. This is a whole other discussion, but in the US the standard(legal) following distance is 3 seconds. I am able to nudge the throttle without it de-activating to close the gap when I am in a line of cars so somebody doesn't decide that I am following too far back and go around me(which is far more dangerous).

Which is why over 100 darn near anywhere is not safe, 120 in the city is insane, pure insanity.
No argument from me, even in Germany it's not easy to maintain >100 for long. City driving is a whole other story and I frequently get upset with myself for joining everybody else driving 20(35) over regardless of the reason. Many surface streets are legacy highways and there isn't anything to suggest that you should slow down(other than signs). They frequently go in and out of former business districts that still have people around and the speed limit goes to half suddenly. Whenever I see pedestrians, I go from qualifying to rolling obstruction without apology.

300+ Shaves in 2024 106 of 300+
Vintage April 2024 21/30
Shave Date 4/24/2024
Razor:
1940's Fat Handled Tech
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (1)
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: TOBS Oud
Brush: Yaqi Caramal 26mm
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Post Shave Balm, British Sterling EDT.
Rating: 28.5/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8.5 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

A new blade today for me, I dug through my box'o'blades, @blethenstrom kindly look past the open tucks, to get to the bottom of the blades I haven't tried yet and found some surprises. I was looking for the 7 O'Clock yellows in particular, but I have the next few blades on deck awaiting their turn. TOBS is another of my neglected shave creams and an example of how I have enough. Yes, I have enough shaves soaps, and creams, no more needed. I only need to repeat that over and over when the urge arises for more. I did feel the blade more today vs the Nacet of the previous shaves, it wasn't more harsh per se, but I did feel it more. I did 3 passes with a touch-up on each side, and I have more tenderness on the neck than yesterday. Not to the level of deducting points, but something to keep in mind going forward. Tomorrow I'll go back to the three passes and call it good'nuff. Oud is one of those classic scents and one I highly recommend to the uninitiated. It paired great with British Sterling EDT. I dispensed a big ole handful, not really but close, of British Sterling this morning and received quite an invigorating "stimulation" this morning, on the verge of stinging too much. I used more because this version of British Sterling isn't as strong as I remembered in my days of yore. The scent still brings back memories of the 80's and my high school days. Those were the best of times and the worst of times, but mostly I have positive memories of the scent.

Gonna call it dun for today, I wish all a blessed Tuesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3011.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 106 of 300+
Vintage April 2024 21/30
Shave Date 4/24/2024
Razor:
1940's Fat Handled Tech
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (1)
Soap: TOBS Oud
Brush: Yaqi Caramal 26mm
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Post Shave Balm, British Sterling EDT.
Rating: 28.5/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8.5 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

A new blade today for me, I dug through my box'o'blades, @blethenstrom kindly look past the open tucks, to get to the bottom of the blades I haven't tried yet and found some surprises. I was looking for the 7 O'Clock yellows in particular, but I have the next few blades on deck awaiting their turn. TOBS is another of my neglected shave creams and an example of how I have enough. Yes, I have enough shaves soaps, and creams, no more needed. I only need to repeat that over and over when the urge arises for more. I did feel the blade more today vs the Nacet of the previous shaves, it wasn't more harsh per se, but I did feel it more. I did 3 passes with a touch-up on each side, and I have more tenderness on the neck than yesterday. Not to the level of deducting points, but something to keep in mind going forward. Tomorrow I'll go back to the three passes and call it good'nuff. Oud is one of those classic scents and one I highly recommend to the uninitiated. It paired great with British Sterling EDT. I dispensed a big ole handful, not really but close, of British Sterling this morning and received quite an invigorating "stimulation" this morning, on the verge of stinging too much. I used more because this version of British Sterling isn't as strong as I remembered in my days of yore. The scent still brings back memories of the 80's and my high school days. Those were the best of times and the worst of times, but mostly I have positive memories of the scent.

Gonna call it dun for today, I wish all a blessed Tuesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1835016
Why the small writing there my dear @cajunrph? Are we ashamed of something now...?

Not wanting a lecture isn’t the same as being ashamed.

John,

Would you take your licks for your sins if Boris was a GSB-cultie?
Gotta take your licks no matter what, but taking licks reminds me of Sister Edmond, AKA Sister Mary Discipline. She struck fear in many a child back in the day. And I wouldn't change it for the world, she was a great influence on many, but sometimes the influence stung for a while. Haha.

Yeah but I was the "lead dog" in our family. My younger brothers all learned what not to do from me. I, on the other hand, just simply didn't learn.
View attachment 1835080
The main one I learned from was Bobby Roth, and his cousin Booger Roth. On a side note, don't nickname your kids Booger, Booger was Booger his whole freaking life, hard to live down that nickname. Anywho, Bobby was a bad little chit, one day he kicked Sister Bernadette, our First Grade teacher. I believe that is when I solidified to learn from others. Bobby looked up to Booger, Booger was in third grade and would recount what he did to Booger at recess. Booger would give him instructions on what to do next, and dog gone it, Bobby's dumb arse would do it. I'm thinking, Dude he is getting your arse beat and not touching you. I learned a lot from Bobby.

300+ Shaves in 2024 107 of 300+
Vintage April 2024 22/30
Shave Date 4/25/2024
Razor:
1954 Flare Tip Super Speed.
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (2)
Soap: PAA Planet Phoenix
Brush: Yaqi Cavern Lake 24MM
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Post Shave Balm, PAA Planet Phoenix A/S.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

The second shave on the 7 O'Clock Yellow and my right jawline felt a bit tinder, therefore I only performed my normal 3 passes and no touch-ups. The results were very similar to yesterday, with just a hint of fur left on the neck, and the facial smoothness is making the dolphins happy. I haven't used Planet Phoenix in a long time, I believe they were aiming for the Barbershop scent genre, but a tad more spicy. It is a good one, I think may have omitted the aftershave, I got off to a late start today, and the morning seemed to never get back on track. Odd dreams last night as well as other "challenges" have me feeling off today, but it is challenges like these that help us grow and become better. Work has been "interesting" lately and I have had lots of fires to put out, but I am blessed to be where I am, I believe that we are placed where we are needed at the moment. Accepting that fact for me is the challenge, but the surrender prayer helps to ground me.

That is all for today, I wish all a blessed Wednesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3024.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 108 of 300+
Vintage April 2024 23/30
Shave Date 4/26/2024
Razor:
1957 US Ball End Tech.
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (3)
Soap: Barrister and Mann Nordost
Brush: Ds Cosmetics 24MM two band Red White and Bluish swirl.
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Post Shave Balm, Nordost A/S.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

Pert'near'good shave today, a very comfortable shave and quite acceptable whisker reductions were achieved today. The first two shaves with the 7 aught clock yeller had me placing this blade in the lower tier of my blades so far. Today was a very pleasant sum'prise, as my daughter used to say when she said cute things and not smartarse things. A quick search reveals that the Techs are considered milder razors, which may explain the comfortable shave today. I don't notice a vast difference in shave quality from razor to razor. Maybe as I hone my wet shaving skills that will change, but I have always been able to get the face BBS, and the neck has always had some sea lion fur left on it. The amount left depends on whether I choose to chase BBS with extra passes, regardless of the razor I have in my hand. Chasing BBS on the neck comes at the cost of irritation, sometimes unnoticeable irritation that builds up over time. Today I left it at 3 passes for a few reasons, one was because of the hint of harshness I felt yesterday on the problem fur patch on the right jawline, and the second reason is that I was running behind and needed a quicker shave today. Thirdly, I am incorporating the types of strokes I do in my touchup passes into the last ATG/aggressive pass. This last development is at some level removing the need for a touch-up pass. Nordost is an interesting scent, more orange than smoke, and some type of fruity sweetness in the background, 'tis a fine scent. And as per the norm for B&M soaps, once you figure out how to lather them, they provide you with copious amounts of rich creamy lather, and one comes to understand their lofty standing among the enthusiasts.

The NFL Draft came and went without me turning on the tube, and really not missing it at all. The ESPN app kept me fully informed of the situation, there was no need to watch it. I know there was likely some great entertainment to be seen if I watched it, like the Drew Pearson call in Philly, I am no Cowboys fan at all, but that was just a golden moment in televised sports. But even if I missed that live, which to be honest, I can't say I didn't, I can relive that every day on YouTube, for those who haven't seen it here it is listed below.

As I get older, I realize my most valuable asset is time, it always was, and what I spend that time on is what moves me forward quicker to where I need to be. See?? You can teach old dogs new tricks. Haha.

I wish all a blessed Friday and a fantastic weekend, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3027.jpeg

Top Bottom