What's new

A journal of a Cajun's life wet shaving

Don (aka @huck1680) mentioned sending letters to others here, which I think is a good idea. I am not sure what the format could be, it could be many things, stories about our lives, jokes, observations of the day. It doesn't have to be much, even postcards of our area and whatnot. Maybe Dallas Cowboy jokes. Haha. Anywho, it's a thought, I think addresses are best shared via PM so as not to put too much of our information out on the web for all eyes to see. It is just $1.55 to send a letter from the US to anywhere in the world, which is pretty amazing to think we could send a letter clear across the globe, for the tidy sum of a dollar fiddy five. It would be interesting to see how long it takes to send letters out to various parts of the world. If others are interested of course. Maybe this is the natural progression of those interested in Wet Shaving go through. Many here also use fountain pens and are into physical journaling. Snail Mail may be the wave of the future, who'd would have thunk?
Thanx John. I agree 100%. I mean who wouldn't enjoy getting a letter from someone? It can be about anything you want. The postcard idea is excellent. But the PM way is the best for privacy and security. I've sent letters to members of my family and the response has been very positive.

hahaha-run.gif

I guess I'm full as I am out of room to store anymore, an artificial self-induced limit, but a limit nonetheless.
I think I may be maxed out on brushes, for a while anyways. I put 18 in storage about a month ago and have not missed them. If they are still in storage for another few months I may have a blow out sale on the BST, but don't hold me to that 🤣.

I pretty much just cycle through dozen of the brushes on a regular basis.

I think I may be maxed out on brushes, for a while anyways. I put 18 in storage about a month ago and have not missed them. If they are still in storage for another few months I may have a blow out sale on the BST, but don't hold me to that 🤣.

I pretty much just cycle through dozen of the brushes on a regular basis.
That's what I've found with the razors and brushes, I see many that look cool, but I have all I need really. I'm seriously thinking of sending off the three synthetic brushes I have now.

Well you can get drunk on a few beers but still not be full in my experience 🤣. I have a very efficient bladder, 1 beer in and 1 beer out, so I do not always get full first 🤣
Reminds of something the Bürgermeister of Leipzig, Germany told me, many years ago. "American beers, you drink four, **** twice. German beers, drink two, **** four times!"

We were standing shoulder to shoulder at the urinals at the time. Long story.

300+ Shaves in 2024 74 of 300+
March GRUME 18/31
Shave Date 3/20/2024
DE:
Rockwell 6C #1 plate (I meant #4 plate and had it flipped DOH!!!)
Blade: GSB (3)
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: Martin De Candre
Brush: Omega 10049 Boar
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, Bootleggers El Dorado.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, just shy of BBS face, and DFS++ neck.

Notes:

I was about to write off current production DE razors entirely today and just use vintage razors as I hardly felt the blade, but I discovered I was orienting the plate incorrectly for my desired aggression level. What I thought was a 4 was a 1 level. Despite being on the least aggressive plate, I still got almost a BBS shave on the cheeks and just about the same level as yesterday on the neck. Due to the total lack of blade feel I did no touch-up passes, which isn't a bad thing as the neck escaped any irritation. Although the sea lions are not crying their eyes out today, nonetheless they are buzz cut today quite nicely, I don't think they like a Marine high and tight cut at all. The dolphins are still swimming in the bay, but they are out further blowing up schools of shad and getting their morning sashimi fix. The MdC and Omega did a fantastic job of lathering and provided more than enough lather for the entire shave and many more passes. El Dorado was a fine finishing touch to the shave, and as always it received the drowsy spousal approval rating this morning.

I brought a fountain pen out into the wild last night. I was notified Monday evening of a meeting at church Tuesday evening at 7pm to go over the services for Palm Sunday, Holy Week services and Easter Services, this is the most important time of the church year and it is a flurry of activity for a solid week. Before the meeting, I was journaling at home and when the time came to head out I just packed up a notepad and a Jinhao 82 filled with what I believe to be Pelikan Blue Black ink. The youth minister sat to my left, he needed a pen to write with, I handed him the fountain pen. He couldn't figure out how to open the pen, it was a twist top, after I opened it he started to write upside down, it wrote fine on the copy paper. When he saw it was a fountain pen he said, "I feel like I should be writing in cursive." Haha. Anyway, the pen performed great on the handout papers, which seemed to be of a higher quality than the copy paper we use at work. I tried it on my work paper and it worked fine as well. I was hesitant to bring fountain pens to work because of the bleeding, but this combo works great on copy paper. This particular pen isn't ideal for my work, as it is a twist-open pen and I have to grab a pen and be ready to write quickly most of the time. I will keep this one at work for a while and see if I am able not to lose it too often. If I misplace a $5.00 it won't hurt as badly as losing a $30 pen, not to mention a $100 pen. Thus the training begins to keep track of a pen and not lose it.

'Tis all for today, I wish all a blessed Wednesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2746.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 75 of 300+
March GRUME 19/31
Shave Date 3/21/2024
DE:
Rockwell 6C #4 plate
Blade: GSB (5) (I failed to update yesterday's shave count on the blade.)
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: Noble Otter Lonestar
Brush: Yaqi Caramel 26mm Two Band Badger
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, Noble Otter Lonestar A/S.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, just shy of BBS face, and DFS++ neck.

Notes:

I revisited the Rockwell with a #4 plate today like I meant to use yesterday, ya know what?? Taint much difference in the shave quality, but I did feel the blade more today. Just about a duplicate of yesterday's shave, the sea lions are at ease today on the far end of the doc with straggler whiskers left here and there on the neck, looking around for the Super Speed making sure it stays put for the day, once again the dolphins are swimming around a bit out in the bay looking for their morning sashimi fix. All is good in the land. A great day for a Thursday, or any day for that matter.

Tomorrow is Tiger Day, I dug through my stash of tucks to find the Tiger Platinum which was buried under a mound of open tucks. (Ignore the last part of that sentence, Boris, it's best for both of us. Haha.) I am not sure what to think about the blade, this blade seems to invoke strong emotions, more so than other blades, and the emotions are mostly negative, although I have seen some folks who like them. They must have some enduring qualities or they wouldn't be around in the free market. I will go in with zero expectations and see what I can achieve. I'll get through the 5 shaves unless it is a truly chitty experience. All shaves will be with the Super Speed, the Tech, or the TTO slim to stack the odds in my favor. Tomorrow the adventure begins.

I used the Jinhao 82 yesterday for all my duties at work, taking scripts, writing notes, and doing calculations. Today I filled out a DEA 222 form with the pen, the pen and ink performed great on the paper, with no feathering or bleed-through. Those forms are preprinted by the DEA and sent to the store. I verified it is filled with Pelikan 4000 Blue Black and has an EF nib, which I believe is a 0.35mm nib for the Jinhao pens. It is one of the smaller nibs I have. I noticed that it is a scratchy pen, more so on the glass top at my desk vs on the bare desktop itself. I might need to sand the nib with 8k sandpaper to smooth the nib out. I saw a video from Doodlebug where he smoothed out a nib on 8k and 12k grit sandpaper. The ink shade is a nice balance between blue and black, very appropriate for all of my needs at work. Since most of what I write and sign at work has to be kept for 10 years, the ink's bulletproof qualities are critical also. I tested it by running the miscellaneous rambling I wrote yesterday under water, nothing ran or washed away. Pelikan 4000 is a winner as a work ink for those who require documents to be kept for an extended period of time. Although the pen is performing great, I may want a bigger nib for work as this does lay down a very thin line.

That will be all for today, I wish all a blessed Thursday, and may all your shave be the best.

IMG_2750.jpeg

Tomorrow is Tiger Day, I dug through my stash of tucks to find the Tiger Platinum which was buried under a mound of open tucks. (Ignore the last part of that sentence, Boris, it's best for both of us. Haha.) I am not sure what to think about the blade, this blade seems to invoke strong emotions, more so than other blades, and the emotions are mostly negative, although I have seen some folks who like them. They must have some enduring qualities or they wouldn't be around in the free market. I will go in with zero expectations and see what I can achieve. I'll get through the 5 shaves unless it is a truly chitty experience. All shaves will be with the Super Speed, the Tech, or the TTO slim to stack the odds in my favor. Tomorrow the adventure begins.
Think Oh Yeah GIF by Paramount+

Top Bottom